Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Talked to my dealer and yes there was a stop sale issued. Those waiting for delivery go to the front of the line but parts should be in next week. I also asked about what happens if the MC manifold is partially melted the said they would replace the whole deal so it sounds fine so far. Now about that boiling gas........
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

If the master cylinder manifold melts enough to spring a leak, the braking stystem will be compromised and it could take further to stop. I'm sure that is what BRP meant by time to react, but if the brake fluid (which would not be under pressure at this location), were to drip or be splashed onto the exhaust pipe it could catch fire. It could theoretically also ignite from the proximity to the exhaust, but that is far less likely. A fire would require a reaction of a far different nature. I'd try to be prepared to react to either possibility, if it were me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Can Am quality Control

I am saving money to buy a Can Am RT next year. My hesitation now is the quality control process at BRP. I was director of quality control for a large company and to me it seems that there testing process lacks thoroughness. While the company appears to do the right thing by it's customers, it seems to me that there Quality Control and failure analysis process needs a complete overall.

I really want to buy one, but at that price I expect excellent quality assurance practices.
    David Kenney

Spyder Garage

with Tuck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dtkennney View Post
    . I was director of quality control for a large company...
    I really want to buy one, but at that price I expect excellent quality assurance practices.
    Head of quality control??
    You just flat-out know too much for your own good!
    I honestlyfeel that they're going to get a handle on these issues... BRP is a pretty big outfit that has produced many really good vehicles over the years!
    My personal feeling is that they got bit on the butt by their suppliers for this year's effort; hopefully; they have addressed this already!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Any fires?

Has there been any reported fires from this problem that BRP is fixing with the recall?
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indyron View Post
    Has there been any reported fires from this problem that BRP is fixing with the recall?
    There has been smoke reported as a result of the MC leaks, but I don't think any of the serious fires could be analyzed well enough to link them conclusively. BRP has stated that this poses a fire danger in their recall information and responses, however.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Recall

We just purchased Spyder RTSE5 two days ago. Still at dealership they called and got the part for the recall today hopefully we get it tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    I think it means 'get off before you catch on fire.'
    A big 10-4 there, OC! Or stay the off your explosive transportation device until it's retrofitted (which would be my option if I owned a '13 ST or RT). Just sayin........................

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default I think...

..everybody needs to take a deep breath.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We're being advised that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is giving us the go-ahead to release information on the safety recall regarding the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet. This recall had already been announced in Canada, and we are now at liberty to announce it in the United States as well.

Our dealer network in the United States is currently being fully briefed on this safety recall and on the solution devised by BRP to address it. In addition, owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by BRP.

At this time, the recall does not yet seem to be live on the official NHTSA website; but should appear shortly. We will keep you informed of any further developments.
    Got the call from my dealer today to bring mine in Sat. for recall repair. Good service from Central Fl .Powersports!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Head of quality control??
    You just flat-out know too much for your own good!
    I honestlyfeel that they're going to get a handle on these issues... BRP is a pretty big outfit that has produced many really good vehicles over the years!
    My personal feeling is that they got bit on the butt by their suppliers for this year's effort; hopefully; they have addressed this already!

So, are you saying or is someone saying melting MC's are the fault of a supplier? You don't think this is a design problem/fault? Hopefully i've misunderstood or missed something.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    [/B]

So, are you saying or is someone saying melting MC's are the fault of a supplier? You don't think this is a design problem/fault? Hopefully i've misunderstood or missed something.
    Suppliers have been known, in the past, to bid on a contract and agree to meet certain specifications, and then, provide a cheaper product that does not meet specifications, but looks the same, to maximize profit . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Suppliers have been known, in the past, to bid on a contract and agree to meet certain specifications, and then, part substitute with a cheaper product to maximize profit . . .
    I have not heard that from anyone is this case, have you?

I would think if it was a supplier screw up with a cheap part substitute, then all of the MC's should be replaced. A shield to protect "cheap" part from melting further wouldn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. No pun intended.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The heat melted Flamingobabes' MC.... not to the point of leaking, but the brake fluid was black and gummy..... COOKED.... I would think that was not a supplier issue....That in it's self could put the braking system in a less than optimum condition.

Spyder Garage

Default Prior model years

Do you have any information what changes were made for 2013 for this component--in other words do we have good reason to believe this same problem does not affect prior model years?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
    Do you have any information what changes were made for 2013 for this component--in other words do we have good reason to believe this same problem does not affect prior model years?
    Don't worry if it did affect earlier models you would have heard ALL about it on this forum:-) On a serious note BRP would have to be very (criminally) negligent if they did not check, after finding this issue with the 2013 models, if earlier models didn't have the same problem.

Spyder Garage

Default NHTSA Formal Recall notice posted

The NHTSA has now posted the formal recall notice:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=emailThey have also made available the official letter BRP sent notifying them of the recall. I tried to post it here but the forum will not allow a 220kb PDF to be posted. (That limit should be upgraded ). You can get it at the NHTSA web site. One statement they make is that the recall includes the installation of heat shields (plural) AND a heat deflector. So there are at least 3 heat related parts being installed. Would really like to see the dealer install instructions.
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I also got a call from my dealer, Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Flarda. They have the "fix kit" and wanted me to come in today. I had court and wasn't able to make it.

I'm very close to my 14,000 miles so I'll kill two birds with one stone and have it done early next week. He said it would take about an hour for the fix. The 14,000 oil change and service maintenance is another thing.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Almost a year later and the Heat problem for our 2013 still has not been resolved, in fact to me it feels as if the Spyder discharges more heat than last year and the two updates. Went for a ride today and the heat is not coming from the radiator discharge but from between he two panels on the right side but only when moving.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Almost a year later and the Heat problem for our 2013 still has not been resolved, in fact to me it feels as if the Spyder discharges more heat than last year and the two updates. Went for a ride today and the heat is not coming from the radiator discharge but from between he two panels on the right side but only when moving.
    Have you filed a complaint with your dealer, BRP, or the NHTSA?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sure did

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT & ST Recall

FYI 2013 RT & ST owners Just bought mine

RECALLS: Displaying 1 - 1 out of 1
    RECALL Subject : Brake Master Cylinder Manifold Inlet may Melt
    Report Receipt Date: AUG 28, 2013
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V386000
    Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
    All Products Associated with this Recall
    Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
    CAN-AMSPYDER RT2013CAN-AMSPYDER ST2013
    Details
    10 Associated Documents
    Manufacturer: Bombardier Recreational Products Inc.
    SUMMARY:
    Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) is recalling certain model year 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT series and ST series motorcycles. The tandem brake master cylinder manifold inlet may melt allowing the brake fluid to leak out.
    CONSEQUENCE:
    Brake fluid may leak onto a heat source, increasing the risk of a fire.
    REMEDY:
    BRP will notify owners and dealers will install heat shields and a heat deflector, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in early September 2013. Owners may contact BRP at 1-888-638-5397.
    NOTES:
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
    Request Research
    PaginationDisplaying 1 - 1 out of 1
    Filter 2013 CAN-AM SPYDER ST Recalls
    Component or Part:

Manufacturer:

Your filtered results will appear in the previous section.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

if i were you I'd take my tuperware off and make sure dealer installed them correctly. they have been known to make mistakes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dtkennney View Post
    I am saving money to buy a Can Am RT next year. My hesitation now is the quality control process at BRP. I was director of quality control for a large company and to me it seems that there testing process lacks thoroughness. While the company appears to do the right thing by it's customers, it seems to me that there Quality Control and failure analysis process needs a complete overall.

You might want to read my ride report in the RT section - my 2014 exhibits none of the issues being discussed for the 2013s
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member