Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Clarification on the Transport Canada safety recall on 2013 Spyder RT and ST

Hello everyone,

As some of you might already know, today Transport Canada published a recall notification from BRP on all 2013 Can-Am® Spyder® RT and ST series roadsters.

BRP has proposed a solution to the issue raised by the recall; this recall notification has been approved for affected vehicles within Canada by Transport Canada. Agencies in other countries are also reviewing the solution for their own jurisdictions, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States.

All of the details on the issue, the recall and the solution are being communicated to BRP's Canadian dealers as well as to all Canadian owners of a vehicle that is affected by Transport Canada's. As soon as we have the green light from agencies in other countries, we will release the same information to the dealer network and owners of affected vehicles within those countries, including NHTSA in the United States.

Following are some additional details regarding the recall:
    What issue does this recall address?
    Under some riding conditions, the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet may melt and cause brake fluid to drip onto a heat source, which may lead to a vehicle fire.
    How will the recall address this issue?
    To correct this condition, dealers will install BRP-tested, specially-designed heat shields and heat deflector to reduce the heat in the general area of the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet and prevent it from melting.
    Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?
    As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to ride your vehicle make sure to give yourself enough time to react. Contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.
    Should I contact my Can-Am Spyder dealer for full details of this recall?
    In Canada, our dealer network is being fully briefed on this safety recall. In other countries, we cannot release full details to our dealer network until the regulatory procedures with their respective agencies are completed. As soon as BRP is able to do so, our dealer networks in those countries will be fully briefed on this safety recall.

In the meantime, if you have more questions, in Canada, consumers can contact their BRP authorized dealer. In the U.S., you may contact BRP directly by calling us at 1-888-638-5397 (U.S. & Canada only) from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time Monday to Thursday, and 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time Friday.

We apologize for any inconvenience and we will keep you informed.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 09-04-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: fixed chopped-off text.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

Thanks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good start but how about the gas tank boiling issue?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Glad to see this issue being addressed before someone gets hurt
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Wonder if this was Spyderann's problem?
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-30-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Stay Tuned...

As the owner of a 2013 ST-L, I will stay tuned for further updates. Additionally, I plan to share this news with my Dealership as a proactive measure. Thanks for the post!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Steve,
    Thanks for offering up some more information on this subject!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since a recall has been issued in Canada, and there is an apparent "fix" for the issue, would it not be in the best interest - Public Relations wise - to be proactive, and offer the fix, or initiate the recall in other countries?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Since a recall has been issued in Canada, and there is an apparent "fix" for the issue, would it not be in the best interest - Public Relations wise - to be proactive, and offer the fix, or initiate the recall in other countries?
    Hi Shelbydave,

In the original message, we mention that the fix is already under evaluation at NHTSA in the United States.
    BRPcare

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Shelbydave,

In the original message, we mention that the fix is already under evaluation at NHTSA in the United States.

Ahh... so it's more a matter of getting them to approve the fix? Gotta love government... they make everything better!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Ahh... so it's more a matter of getting them to approve the fix? Gotta love government... they make everything better!!
    Remember, they are here to help...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I see I got no response on the other heat shielding issues including the one sheild that was removed on the 2013 in front of the gas tank/ console area that people have shown pictures of on other years. I hope BRP addresses the overheated gas tank in the same way. Gas caps that are almost too hot to touch are NOT a good thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that information about fixing a common complaint has been posted and that an official solution for those of us in the US is not far off.

Thank you BRP.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-30-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hello everyone,

As some of you might already know, today Transport Canada published a recall notification from BRP on all 2013 Can-Am® Spyder® RT and ST series roadsters.

BRP has proposed a solution to the issue raised by the recall; this recall notification has been approved for affected vehicles within Canada by Transport Canada. Agencies in other countries are also reviewing the solution for their own jurisdictions, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States.

All of the details on the issue, the recall and the solution are being communicated to BRP's Canadian dealers as well as to all Canadian owners of a vehicle that is affected by Transport Canada's. As soon as we have the green light from agencies in other countries, we will release the same information to the dealer network and owners of affected vehicles within those countries, including NHTSA in the United States.

Following are some additional details regarding the recall:
    What issue does this recall address?
    Under some riding conditions, the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet may melt and cause brake fluid to drip onto a heat source, which may lead to a vehicle fire.
    How will the recall address this issue?
    To correct this condition, dealers will install BRP-tested, specially-designed heat shields and heat deflector to reduce the heat in the general area of the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet and prevent it from melting.
    Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?
    As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to ride your vehicle make sure to give yourself enough time to react. Contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.
    Should I contact my Can-Am Spyder dealer for full details of this recall?
    In Canada, our dealer network is being fully briefed on this safety recall. In other countries, we cannot release full details to our dealer network until the regulatory procedures with their respective agencies are completed. As soon as BRP is able to do so, our dealer networks in those countries will be fully briefed on this safety recall.

In the meantime, if you have more questions, in Canada, consumers can contact their BRP authorized dealer. In the U.S., you may contact BRP directly by calling us at 1-888-638-5397 (U.S. & Canada only) from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time Monday to Thursday, and 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time Friday. For other countries, please contact BRP at:

We apologize for any inconvenience and we will keep you informed.
    Steve, I notice that your post clearly says all 2013 RT and ST series roadsters and when you read the Transport Canada recall #2013288 it says on certain can-am spyder RT series and ST series roadsters which is correct
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I always leave the "I'm here to help" part...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Steve, I notice that your post clearly says all 2013 RT and ST series roadsters and when you read the Transport Canada recall #2013288 it says on certain can-am spyder RT series and ST series roadsters which is correct
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for your question. All 2013 Spyder RT and ST roadsters in Canada are eligible for the recall.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your question. All 2013 Spyder RT and ST roadsters in Canada are eligible for the recall.
    your clarification post at 12:15pm indicated if you have any further questions, in Canada, consumers can contact their BRP authorized dealer, well I did just minutes ago and they know nothing about this recall,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    your clarification post at 12:15pm indicated if you have any further questions, in Canada, consumers can contact their BRP authorized dealer, well I did just minutes ago and they know nothing about this recall,
    We're pushing out info to dealers at this time. It's possible that some dealers might not have received or checked for the recall immediately. At any rate, you can rest assured that all Canadian 2013 Spyder RT and ST models are covered under the Transport Canada recall. Both you and your dealer will be advised directly as the information goes out.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

We're pushing out info to dealers at this time. It's possible that some dealers might not have received or checked for the recall immediately. At any rate, you can rest assured that all Canadian 2013 Spyder RT and ST models are covered under the Transport Canada recall. Both you and your dealer will be advised directly as the information goes out.
    Thanks Steve, accept my apology for being such a pesty spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default curious

what is so different on the 2013 master cylinder manifold inlet, compared to older models?

Spyder Garage

Thanks Steve. Just a clarification - it says: "All 2013 Spyder RT and ST roadsters in Canada" - is this to differentiate from USA roadsters? IS there a different build for the Canadian ones that would cause this, or are they identical and the Canadians just acted faster on this? Any idea of VIN ranges?
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NHTSA is aware of what's going on;

Spyder Garage

Good info from BRP. For those of you here in the good ole US with 2013's, it's a waiting game.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default What is the difference in construction between 2013 models and earlier models which

would eliminate the earlier models?....thanks, smoky