Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAT REMOVAL ?

Spyder Garage

Default CAT REMOVAL ?

has any one done the cat bypass that can report on the benefits of doing this ,my main reason would be to allieviate some of the heat generated to passenger and side panels. any increase in performance or sound quality would be a bonus . 2012 rt-s se5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat Removal

My 2010 RTS was hot on long rides seems much cooler without cat. (not that hot here yet). Sound, deeper not more noise just richer. Grunt, it pulls harder on low end can feel it with trailer. What I really like is first time ever 32 MPG. OVER ALL A GOOD BARGAN
    The Nip

Spyder Garage

I understand that Spyder1attitude (site sponsor) does it and makes a difference in sound. http://www.spyder1attitude.com/cat-bypass.html
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mob133 View Post
    has any one done the cat bypass that can report on the benefits of doing this ,my main reason would be to allieviate some of the heat generated to passenger and side panels. any increase in performance or sound quality would be a bonus . 2012 rt-s se5

Removed mine and will never look back.

Eliminate most of the heat -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=heat
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

I did it also and am happy with it. Only tests about 2 decibels higher BUT sounds better. Cooler, runs better and improved mileage. I think the big issue with a lot of folks is price. If you haven't gotten up close and personal with your Cat, you'll think, like I did, that all I need to do is get up under there with some pipes, measure and weld these up on my own. Reality is that once you get into the swap you recognize how incredibly tight the clearances are under there and how several things (hangers, bolts, pipe diameters, springs, VERY exact location of 2 inlets and one outlet) have to line up precisely. Frame clearances, etc are also extremely tight. They obviously had a LOT of work in getting these pipes where they just bolt up. IMO, they are cheaper than a simple muffler swap and give better results across the board.
    2012 Spyder RT

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Did you guys have to add a fuel management box and do you have any decel popping?

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post

Removed mine and will never look back.

Eliminate most of the heat -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=heat
    Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    I did it also and am happy with it. Only tests about 2 decibels higher BUT sounds better. Cooler, runs better and improved mileage. I think the big issue with a lot of folks is price. If you haven't gotten up close and personal with your Cat, you'll think, like I did, that all I need to do is get up under there with some pipes, measure and weld these up on my own. Reality is that once you get into the swap you recognize how incredibly tight the clearances are under there and how several things (hangers, bolts, pipe diameters, springs, VERY exact location of 2 inlets and one outlet) have to line up precisely. Frame clearances, etc are also extremely tight. They obviously had a LOT of work in getting these pipes where they just bolt up. IMO, they are cheaper than a simple muffler swap and give better results across the board.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

Default took the plunge

OK just broke down and placed my order for the cat bypass, one question I forgot to ask, can this be installed myself with car ramps and would I have any problems getting the springs off I know on some of my snowmobiles its very hard &tricky.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: CAT REMOVAL ?

Not that i would do this I can tell u from hearing how hard this is to do that its worth a pretty penny to keep from actually having to do this... And i can tell u there is very little sound difference. It is just a bit deeper.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!
    Last edited by rabtech; 06-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    Did you guys have to add a fuel management box and do you have any decel popping?
    No, didn't have to add anything. Onboard ECM has enough range to compensate.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    No, didn't have to add anything. Onboard ECM has enough range to compensate.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mob133 View Post
    OK just broke down and placed my order for the cat bypass, one question I forgot to ask, can this be installed myself with car ramps and would I have any problems getting the springs off I know on some of my snowmobiles its very hard &tricky.

Should be easy. Only spring is on the right side and a pair of pliers worked. Hardest part is getting the center rubber hanger on.

My Mods -

Spyder Garage

Loosen the 10mm bolt holding the rubber hanger. It will allow it to tilt and you can slide it off easier.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

Spyder Garage

Rabtech: what was inside the Cat? Is that red thing the main ingredient? Does it come out? Can't tell exactly from the pics.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Yes that is the inside of a catalytic converter. The red thing is the goodie part. It is NOT ceramic like the rock kind. It is sealed from one side to the other. The inlet pipes come out in the far side and then have to push back thru the red circle then it can exit. Kinda kills that smooth exhaust exit flow pattern....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    Not that i would do this I can tell u from hearing how hard this is to do that its worth a pretty penny to keep from actually having to do this... And i can tell u there is very little sound difference. It is just a bit deeper.

Rabtech,

Did you fabricate a bypass pipe? Any pics?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
    Rabtech,

Did you fabricate a bypass pipe? Any pics?
    Just imagine that picture without the red thing in the center and then a stainless cover welded back over it.

Spyder Garage

Just imagine that picture without the red thing in the center and then a stainless cover welded back over it.

How did you make out with the Akrapovic and suspension mods?

Spyder Garage

How the heck would one get the RED THING out? Looks about impossible.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default CAT REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    How the heck would one get the RED THING out? Looks about impossible.

Get a Bigger Hammer !!
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    Get a Bigger Hammer !!

You have to melt the surrounding metal. The converter is stainless. You will have to TIG it back together. Im telling you its a pain. I can't say its worth or not worth the 450 for the bypass but it would be close to it.

Also you just open the flow a little. It still has to bounce off the back wall of the cat and then find its way out the outlet pipe. Exhaust note is a little deeper. I am amazed how quiet it actually still is.

My Ducati will make your ears itch. I can tell you that straight out of the pipes that lead into the cat is way quieter than my Ducati with the quiet baffles in the Termi pipes. It must be the way the head is designed on the Rotax.
    Last edited by rabtech; 06-04-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I'm seeing; nobody has worked out a kit for this that could be brought to market? (For those of us who can barely find enough tools to clean the seats on our bikes... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I did the bipass with a Yosh - Yes, it does pop on decel, when it is cold, the heat is basically gone, and it will lift a tire on a corner, if you nail it…. Just saying….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Question Cat bypass

Has anyone made a video to show what the Spyder sounds like after the transplant?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    From what I'm seeing; nobody has worked out a kit for this that could be brought to market? (For those of us who can barely find enough tools to clean the seats on our bikes... )
    I've a web page with one but they don't have a photo of it on the web site...

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Spoke to Spyder 1 Attitude (site sponsor) who said that in addition to the RT, his cat-bypass pipe will fit the ST and 2013 RS.