Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    western Mass
    Posts
    8
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default rear tire valve stem

    First of all I'd like to congratulate the genius who decided to put the rear tire valve stem on the same side as the pulley for the belt drive. Right away, you could tell this was a college educated person, who had no idea what he was doing.! Does anyone else have the problem of checking the air pressure in your rear tire because of the valve stem position. I'm losing more air out of the tire trying to put air into the tire because of the position of that valve stem. I do not understand why that valve stem was not put on the other side of the rim, which would not be in the way of anything. Anybody have any ideas on how to check the air tire and put air in the tire. The only thing I could come up with was an 8 inch braided valve stem extender, and I'm not sure that will work.
    Any ideas please let me know. Thank you

  2. #2
    Thinks out loud Jeriatric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    "The Skillet" AKA..... La Quinta, Ca
    Posts
    5,107
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Rear tire valve stem

    no sir, you must be the only one here who's ever mentioned it being awkward, or, difficult.

    Kidding of course.

    Here's how I do it and I'm sure there will be lots of others chime in with their special way.

    I'm kinda tall so this works for me.

    First, roll the spyder one way or the other until the stem is somewhere between the three and five o'clock position when facing the valve side of the rim. Have your pressure gauge and airing source in hand when you lay down on the ground to check and or add air(unless you're under 3' tall - then perhaps you can bend down and see things).

    Don't fight it, it's one of the idiosyncrasies of the spyder. Unless or until you mod it.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.


    Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member Dudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Jacumba, CA
    Posts
    2,278
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I use a regular tire guage and small air tank. Have no problem. Air pressure in a tire isn't rocket science accurate.

    And why the stem where it is? Can you imagine how many burns would have accured trying to use the stem on the muffler side?
    Last edited by Dudley; 04-29-2013 at 12:07 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

    Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    31,102
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default From the back..!!

    I use a double headed air nozzle. If you pull it onto the valve stem from the opposite side it works very well. I do have the gauge built in. These are available at harbor freight...wheel was probably designed without the knowledge of the size of the sprocket...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

  5. #5
    Very Active Member AbNormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW Austin
    Posts
    967
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Re: rear tire valve stem



    From Deep in the Hart of Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

  6. #6
    Spyderless Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    north/central n.j.
    Posts
    6,432
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Rear tire valve stem tread, And the beat gos on.....



    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a,
    boat and drink beer all day........

  7. #7
    Registered Users JCSMOKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Johnson creek. Wi
    Posts
    899
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Install a new one

    When the rear tire needed replacing I had the shop put another valve stem installed with access from the other side, cost of $5. Several people have had this done.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

  8. #8
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Valley Springs, AR
    Posts
    38,264
    Spyder Garage
    8

    Default

    One of the glitches we have learned to live with. It does make one not want to check the air pressure as often as they should though.

    Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited, 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow). 7 Spyders, 12 years, 175,500 miles

    2020 F3L , Magma Red

  9. #9
    Very Active Member bullant12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there...
    Posts
    3,328
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rpo62 View Post
    First of all I'd like to congratulate the genius who decided to put the rear tire valve stem on the same side as the pulley for the belt drive. Right away, you could tell this was a college educated person, who had no idea what he was doing.! Does anyone else have the problem of checking the air pressure in your rear tire because of the valve stem position. I'm losing more air out of the tire trying to put air into the tire because of the position of that valve stem. I do not understand why that valve stem was not put on the other side of the rim, which would not be in the way of anything. Anybody have any ideas on how to check the air tire and put air in the tire. The only thing I could come up with was an 8 inch braided valve stem extender, and I'm not sure that will work.
    Any ideas please let me know. Thank you
    First of all,
    Second,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpo62 View Post
    ...I'd like to congratulate the genius who decided to put the rear tire valve stem on the same side as the pulley for the belt drive.
    You should... that "genius" probably makes more money than some of us put together.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

    Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

  10. #10
    Very Active Member bluestratos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lynden, WA
    Posts
    1,835
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Its a bit awkward but not that bad. They may have wanted to keep it on the side farthest from the exhaust to prevent burns from the muffler (I know you are not suppose to check a warm tire but some times is a must if its already low)

  11. #11
    Active Member C3517C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    206
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    When the rear tire needed replacing I had the shop put another valve stem installed with access from the other side, cost of $5. Several people have had this done.
    Thats cool, I guess I missed that discussion. Is this something most tire shops would do ? Im OCD with my tire pressure and tired of laying on the garage floor.

  12. #12
    Registered Users JCSMOKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Johnson creek. Wi
    Posts
    899
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post
    Thats cool, I guess I missed that discussion. Is this something most tire shops would do ? Im OCD with my tire pressure and tired of laying on the garage floor.
    It's easy enough to do. Any competent tire shop can get it done quickly.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

  13. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hesston, PA
    Posts
    726
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Here is where I got my right side valve stem.


  14. #14
    Active Member can-am sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ferndale, Washington
    Posts
    343
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I use a pressure gauge that clips on the valve stem. Makes it much easier to check the pressure. http://www.ghmeiser.com/

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    20
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I see this is an old post, but I’m having the same problem on my 2020 RTL. At a hotel one morning I was laying on the parking lot checking my rear tire pressure when a guy came and ask if I was ok����. I see Amazon has all different length valve stem extensions, has anyone used these?

  16. #16
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    15,563
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I use a regular tire guage and small air tank. Have no problem. Air pressure in a tire isn't rocket science accurate.

    And why the stem where it is? Can you imagine how many burns would have accured trying to use the stem on the muffler side?
    Well that's where mine is .... and since 2014 I haven't burned myself yet ...... I was the first person here to make the switch ..... Mike

  17. #17
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    15,563
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I see this is an old post, but I’m having the same problem on my 2020 RTL. At a hotel one morning I was laying on the parking lot checking my rear tire pressure when a guy came and ask if I was ok����. I see Amazon has all different length valve stem extensions, has anyone used these?
    I think most folks here have discovered using a long Valve stem works best .... Mike

  18. #18
    Very Active Member JayBros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,857
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Yes, it's a Harley product but it works just fine.
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...on;sp_cs=UTF-8
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    ******************************
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •