Spyder Garage

Default Additional Cargo Capacity

I'm currently looking into gaining some addition carrying capacity on my 2012RT-S. Would like opinions on some options I've come up with.

1) A trailer - even looking at some of the smaller aluminum units (1500 range) by the time you add the hitch etc this is decidedly the high priced spread.

2) Luggage rack - who's? I'd likely need to change to a lighter tent and bed roll (tent recommendations anyone?)

3) If I where to go with #2 when I'm out solo does anyone know of a duffel or the like that's maybe made to fit and secure in the passenger seat. I'd kinda like something purpose built that doesn't require a kludge of straps and bungees to secure it to the trike.

TIA
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out shat BMWLarry came up to fit on the BRP hitch...
    Diamond-R makes a nice rack for the top trunk too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

As far as duffles go, we like the Helen2Wheels Clothes Bag and the Seal-Line bags. Ortlieb make a good one, too. All are 100% waterproof. The Helen2Wheels bag also has vi-vis reflective straps that let you put your cargo straps through them so nothing can fall off. The black bag in these pics is the Helen2Wheels bag, and the yellow is a Seal-Line.

-Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a Tourmaster bag, that I just sit on the seat and use two ROK Straps through the hand holds. I think they came from Aeorstitch. They have a loop on each on each end and stretch part with a "hook" in the middle. I have a different rack, but like the Diamond R one.
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 02-27-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: correct
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Regarding tents I can recommend the Eureka Backcountry 1 or 2, the 1 obviously being for one person and not having much extra space beyond the person and sleeping bag inside. The 2 is large enough for two but if used for a single person it would have more extra space and possibly be more practical.

These are both light, pack very small, are reasonably priced (the 1 is $200 msrp but can easily be found heavily discounted), and very quick and easy to set up. With small packed size being greatly important I used a Backcountry 1 for my around the world ride in 2005 and it served me very well. Nothing broke, it was adequately ventilated, and comfortable.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a thread on that PakitRak: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...4612-Pakit-Rak
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Oh, and check here for a nice top rack for the RT: http://spyderrt.info/1_2_Products.html
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I have the Can-Am 622 trailer which is of course the utlimate but I also have a luggage rack and I don't carry a passanger so I have the back seat available. I put the large Iron Rider luggage bag on my back seat strapped to the passanger handles, it holds alot and acts as a back rest if you don't have one. I also have another Iron Rider which is the next size down that straps onto top of the main bag. I have a nice hard luggage overnighter with wheels that I strap on the luggage rack when I need more yet. I am not a big fan of the extended platform off of the hitch, it looks clumsy and it gets filthy espescially if you drive on damp or wet roads.

Regards,

Randy