Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP or CAN AM customer support

I need to contact BRP or CAN AM customer support anyone know the email address or phone number? I think I got a lemon and want some action from customer support. I was on a trip and my Spyder would not shift out of first gear. Second time this has happened. First time it happened dealer fixed it with new selanoid. I was 150 miles from home and it did it again so I am very frustrated. How will I ever have confidence to go on a trip again with this Spyder. I have a 2009 RS SE5. First time it happened had about 100 miles on it and now have about 2600. The dealership said they have never seen this. I told them on the forums there have been many issues like this. They told me to not read the forums because you can't believe what you ready. I told them well I don't think people make this stuff up. My opinion the dealer should do something above and beyond for me to make up for this. I had to get a ride back home from a friend because I could not get my Spyder back in first gear. I want to contact BRP or CanAm and let them know what has happened. I think the dealership should declare my Spyder a lemon and give me a new one but I am sure that would never happen. Thanks for your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a link to Spyder Customer Support on the spyderlovers.com home page.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10017

Home page, in the middle right there are links with Spyder Customer Support, Spyders to the rescue and other info.

As far as your dealer is telling you on the forums, they have their opinion as you do yours. However, some dealers would discredit forums like these because some service department people don't like when customers are more knowledgable than them. But if you can notice, there are dealers here that are sponsors, so they use forums like these to get THEIR answers.

I suggest taking the to the dealer and don't mention the forums again. Then email or call BRP's number on the link above and explain the situation. Sometimes it is not the that's the problem but the dealer... so might want to look for second opinions.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10017

Home page, in the middle right there are links with Spyder Customer Support, Spyders to the rescue and other info.

As far as your dealer is telling you on the forums, they have their opinion as you do yours. However, some dealers would discredit forums like these because some service department people don't like when customers are more knowledgable than them. But if you can notice, there are dealers here that are sponsors, so they use forums like these to get THEIR answers.

I suggest taking the to the dealer and don't mention the forums again. Then email or call BRP's number on the link above and explain the situation. Sometimes it is not the that's the problem but the dealer... so might want to look for second opinions.
    Great advise second opinion needed, seems you have had over 2000 miles without a problem and there is a obvious problem again now. I also feel your dealer has taken a defensive approach to the problem, they could just fix it. If you get contact with BRP maybe ask them for a recommendation for a dealer in your area.

Good luck
    Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It is now at a second dealer so let's see what they come up with. Thanks for all the feedback.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you got a non-service friendly dealer. There are three good dealers listed in the thread "recommended service" for MN. Did you buy from Tousley?
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I sympatize with your frustration over your repeated problem, but two occurances of the same issue, with a substantial time/mileage lapse in between, doesn't really constitute a "lemon". You have had a repeated failure, plain and simple. Your quickest course of action would be to get the dealer on your side to find and fix the problem. If necessary, they can get help from BRP tech. If they delay excessively, have trouble, put you off, or refuse to cooperate, getting BRP Customer Support (Carlo) involved may help. Only as a last resort would I take legal action...which is what woud be needed to deem your Spyder a "lemon", provided you live in one of the states where motorcycles are coverd by lemon laws (about half the states).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ttorfin View Post
    I need to contact BRP or CAN AM customer support anyone know the email address or phone number? I think I got a lemon and want some action from customer support. I was on a trip and my Spyder would not shift out of first gear. Second time this has happened. First time it happened dealer fixed it with new selanoid. I was 150 miles from home and it did it again so I am very frustrated. How will I ever have confidence to go on a trip again with this Spyder. I have a 2009 RS SE5. First time it happened had about 100 miles on it and now have about 2600. The dealership said they have never seen this. I told them on the forums there have been many issues like this. They told me to not read the forums because you can't believe what you ready. I told them well I don't think people make this stuff up. My opinion the dealer should do something above and beyond for me to make up for this. I had to get a ride back home from a friend because I could not get my Spyder back in first gear. I want to contact BRP or CanAm and let them know what has happened. I think the dealership should declare my Spyder a lemon and give me a new one but I am sure that would never happen. Thanks for your help.
    My former dealer gave me the same crap about the forum, and also said they had never heard of the problem; I had printed an entire thread about transmission issues and even highlighted the fixes, so they would have most of their homework done for them. Not only did 3 trips to the dealer not solve the issue, but I discovered that what caused my problem was a ground wire fix. The fix had been in a BRP bulletin or something... anyway, according to the records on my bike, the wire had been installed by the dealer. NOT. I watched Kurt from BRP install it himself at the owner's event. The ground wire was also mentioned in the thread that I had printed for them. So, I had made 3 separate trips to the dealer (1.5 hours each way), and let them keep the bike for a week one of those times, and didn't get a fix that they had supposedly done a year before I had even purchased the bike!!!

Like I said, former dealer. I'm in NC, so it's not the same dealer as yours, but the attitude sounds the same. Crappy. I hope the new dealer solves your problem.

My bike would not shift after it got wet. Nothing like sitting in a hailstorm, trying to get your bike in gear, let me tell you. But after Kurt installed the ground wire, I rode more than 2 hours in a monsoon, and it worked like a charm. I was like you - thought I may have purchased a lemon (also a 2009 SE5, and yellow to boot, lol), but I have had no problems since Kurt fixed it. I hope you see the same result.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

the address i have is: brp.service@brp.com

I've gotten several responses to that email.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have brought up Spyderlovers a few times with my dealer. Once I was trying to get a spare 25A fuse and the dealer could not find the part number. I got out my Blackberry and searched on Spyderlovers and was able to find it before he did.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)