Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My Review Seal Floorboards

I just finished putting my Seal floorboards on my RS. I will tell you right up front that these things are Awesome.

I had troubles putting them on my bike but this was not the fault of the product. When I got this bike the left foot peg support was broken. The decorative part at the bottom was broken off and this didn't have any effect on the pegs so I didn't worry about it.

The Seal Floorboards are designed to be Extremely easy to install if you have a stock setup. The floorboards screw onto the origional pegs through the holes that the rubber pads are mounted through. This was an issue for me because I bought this bike used and there was only the aftermarket Black Widow pegs. I therefore had to buy new original ones. These cost me $27 each.

The other points of contact for the Seal floorboards are that a tab on the inside inserts into the open spot (ornamental from the factory) and pushes up on the inside of it. There is then a bracket which attaches to the bottom ornament and stabilizes and partially supports the board. (shown below in the area circled yellow" Notice that the bottom body panel is supposed to frame the pet but doesn't? (circled in Red) It is because the support is bent twisted actually see the picture below:

Circled in yellow is the attached shifter re-locator.

Here is a picture of the broken bracket I removed.

Notice in the pic below that the support (angle Iron welded to the frame is not parallel with the ground (or vertical on the up and down part) It should be. This was clearly damaged when the ornamentation was broken off of the support.

Anyway this twisting caused me to wonder what was going on for a long time.

The problem was solved with a BFH B for big F for ??? H for hammer
    and a crescent wrench.

Now
    here is a picture of the support structure for the floorboard attached and ready to screw the floorboard onto. and YES this is the same as the 1st pic.

I will finish the rest of the installation stuff later today when I can take more pics. But this pretty much enplanes it if you look at the pics on the website http://www.sealfloorboards.com.

I really like these boards a lot. I am 6'2" and 300lbs and the old pegs tore my knees quickly. With the Seals, I have no less than 4 positions I can use. This is awesome. I will say that the Spyder is really too wide for my old hips so I still feel some stress no matter where I put my feet, BUT this is endlessly better, and I think I will be better after riding a while and doing some stretching exercises. I am going to show the finished installation and I have a buddy coming over tonight who will shoot a little video for me. so I can show you what the old positioning was and all the current positions. I will post on ebay and leave a link here

Also. I need to comment that the Seal Floorboards are extremely strong and heavily built. The only weak spot here is the the floorboards mount only on the foot peg mounts using the original foot peg and the the ornaments top and bottom. This allows the pegs to be a little springy towards the very front, however I am over 300 Lbs and have no problems at all with stepping on them as long as I keep my feet between the peg and the front mount bracket, which is where I have a tendency to want to put my feet anyway.

Riding positions back to front. The 1st is nearly the equivalent of the stock

I tryed several different places to point at pics and none of them seemed to work here. I am at my limit for this post so...
    I am giving you this pointer to a facebook album
    I am obviously not dressed to go riding here so please no comments about my attire or my fat rear end.
    here you go

I will hopefully finish this post tomorrow.

Buy the Seals... They are great.
    Last edited by challman; 04-24-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review. Any chance we can see some pics of your leg positions using these. I've been really curious to see the seating position and leg angles of a taller person using these on an RS.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You bet. I am actually going to do a little Video and put it up on youtube. To be continued.....
    this will be done like by sunday

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gpthree View Post
    Thanks for the review. Any chance we can see some pics of your leg positions using these. I've been really curious to see the seating position and leg angles of a taller person using these on an RS.
    I have noticed that it can be difficult to get all of the important information about a product, and am sometimes frustrated. I like this product so I will try and providel all of the following information.

1.. A good description of what the part is and does. I have seen $400 dollar custom parts for the Spyder that I couldn't figure out what it did.
    2. A picture of the Item Actually Installed on the bike

3. If this is supposed to solve some comfort issue like leg positioning. Show pics or a video of why and how it works.

4. Good documentation which shows and explanes how things go together so the potential purchaser will know what he/she is getting into should they decide to buy this.

Anyway I will fill all of these gaps for this product because I like it a lot

Just give me a couple of days to get this together.

I would appreciate it if anyone else with other floorboards would take some pics or videos to show the foot positioning.

I bought these specifically because they would and do (since I tried them) make it so you can move your feet all around and still be able to get to the brake quickly and without having to take your foot completely off a peg unsupported. The Seal solution is awesome for this.

Cole
    Last edited by challman; 04-22-2011 at 11:56 PM.