Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
. . . . Every area seems to have its prevalent attitudes in drivers - here in New Mexico, everyone seems to be concerned that they have " the Right of way ". Today, I heard that very phrase when the car in front of me, hit a car making a turn in front of it at an intersection ( the hit car had to stop because some pedestrians started to cross the street just after they started to make the turn ). The car in front of me hit them, "luckily" it was in a school zone and traffic was moving at under 20mph. The shocking thing to me was that the car in front of me did not even slow down - being directly behind them, I could see, they did not even touch their brakes until after the collision - nor did they swerve. Fortunately, pre-lawyers, nobody was hurt.

I was "driving ahead" and saw the car turning and had started braking - there was plenty of room to not hit the other car. After the collision, the driver who hit the car got out and was yelling that he " had the Right of way ".

No matter how you view it, "the pinnacle of evolution" or "the image of God", it is sad.

Tom
So true...in Michigan, too. A few years ago I stopped (in my pickup) at an intersection when the light went yellow. A gal that was half a block behind me when I braked, hit me in the rear, under acceleration trying to make the light. She got so belligerent arguing with the cop that she had the right away and I should get a ticket for stopping, that he finally had to cuff her and put her in his car. I guess she really believed it!