Spyder Garage

Default If only the Japanese made a reverse trike...

I have had great luck with my 2021 RT, with the only service needed was oil changes after 6,000 miles. But most of my decades of riding I have been a big fan of Japanese motorcycles, particularly Honda (although I did stray to Triumph for a few years). And as pleased as I am with my Canadian made reverse trike, if any of the major Japanese manufacturers came out with a competitive product (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) I would certainly give it consideration. In over 40 years of riding, not once have I had a major mechanical issue with any of my Japanese bikes. My Triumphs were pretty reliable, but not to the degree that was Honda in particular.

I know Honda was hit pretty hard with the problems of their 3 wheel ATV back in the '80'S (if I recall) but I would love to see what the engineers who designed the fabulous Goldwing I used to ride would come up with in a reverse trike to compete with the Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2024 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

There are some similar threads back in the archives from years gone by. This will revive a once discussed subject and may be good to have some new input.

My take on this:

If Japan were to come out with a three wheeler, the single tire would be in the rear, a la Slingshot. There are some three wheelers out there but the price is very high. $75K or so.

If Japan, (and I refer to Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki), the big four who all have excellent motorcycle reputations. If either of these companies would have come out with a "spyder" type motorcycle, IMO, many people would have jumped ship. There have been rumors, but no beef ever showed up. Since I am now officially done with riding, I can only now sit back and see what the future might bring.

I do hope that CanAm can get the current issues (ACP) solved and move on. At the moment, they still have the $30K and under market pretty much to themselves.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Honda had a prototype, the Neowing. Never went any further
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

As I recall, the Neowing's front wheels tilted, requiring the rider to still put a foot down to balance the bike most of the time. And without a passenger seat or hard luggage, it never would have been a real competitor to the Spyder, only possibly the Ryker.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    As I recall, the Neowing's front wheels tilted, requiring the rider to still put a foot down to balance the bike most of the time. And without a passenger seat or hard luggage, it never would have been a real competitor to the Spyder, only possibly the Ryker.
    I believe that was the Yamaha Niken. It was sold here in the states until 2023.. The Neowing was a self supporting design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Makes me curious as to why Honda never moved forward with the project. Maybe too much of a niche market for them to be bothered with.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Makes me curious as to why Honda never moved forward with the project. Maybe too much of a niche market for them to be bothered with.
    Yes, plus for Honda or BMW to produce one to THEIR high standards would mean that the cost would be unsustainable, Vito - probably half as much again as the BRP Spyder. It would be very hard to make a sale at around $50k USD, ($70k AUD).

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2024 at 09:01 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, plus for Honda or BMW to produce one to THEIR high standards would mean that the cost would be unsustainable, Vito - probably half as much again as the BRP Spyder. It would be very hard to make a sale at around $50k USD, ($70k AUD).

Pete
    Harley has no problem moving $45K Tri Glides here in the states. A Goldwing powered Neowing would be awesome.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Harley has no problem moving $45K Tri Glides here in the states. A Goldwing powered Neowing would be awesome.
    That's the aging must-have-H-D crowd. I thoroughly enjoyed my Harley's over a 16 year period, and especially the competent dealer network. But the way the rigid and narrow rear axle treated the rider and passenger, it was a very easy decision to move to the ride and precision of the Spyder.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    That's the aging must-have-H-D crowd. I thoroughly enjoyed my Harley's over a 16 year period, and especially the competent dealer network. But the way the rigid and narrow rear axle treated the rider and passenger, it was a very easy decision to move to the ride and precision of the Spyder.
    You and I have the same experience, and came to the same conclusion.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I did consider a Yamaha Niken when I was looking for a replacement for my RS. It was a seriously well engineered bit of kit.

It had a much more motorbike feel to the ride, to the point where you'd almost forget it was a trike. It had more stability over poor road surfaces than a bike and certainly felt safer when I hit some bad surfacing in a corner.

However the Spyder feels safer still and has more road presence.

I began to get the old 'cloak of invisibility' feeling with the Niken with car drivers seeming to not notice me despite the unusual looks - for example when I come up behind cars in the outside lane on the Spyder they always move over to let me pass but a couple of times with the Niken while I had it on test that didn't happen. That's why I ended up getting the F3L instead.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    You and I have the same experience, and came to the same conclusion.
    Me and my wife also.

Spyder Garage

Most people I ever queried on a trike had the preference for their existing 2-wheeler to have a 3-wheel equivalent, so that does become a little harder in design and manufacturing costs to do per model kits. The TMW which had a go at making their own model never seemed to get support (I personally thought it was pig ugly) was bought by Arcimoto right in the middle of their downward spiral and I don't see a post for them since that time. There's plenty of market, maybe not the size market for a Honda or perhaps even HD, but there is money there to be made with the right design, one that captures the buyer's imagination and commitment.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2024 at 08:36 PM.