Spyder Garage

Default MORE BUGS - Cluster intermittently Resetting with Code P1697 - any ideas?

So many bugs with this new to us 2008 and its getting so frustrating, but I am DETERMINED to win, Have gotten this one a few times riding, this one, everything is working normally while riding, then suddenly the entire cluster goes blank, bike still operates completely fine, and then the cluster comes back on after a bit, displays "press m to start" and has a check engine light on, P1697, clutch valve short or open, has done this 2 other times with the same code each time the cluster comes back, bike never misses a beat. I don't know what other battery and ground connections I can check, as I have gone thru as many as I could find trying to fix the DPS issue. Idk if somehow when the clutch valve malfunctions, its somehow tied into the cluster electrical system and causes a reset. Anyone experience this before? Has a brand new battery with tight connections, front ground cleaned and tight, under seat connections cleaned and tight, engine ground cleaned and tight.

I could see maybe a loose connection at the cluster, but the fact that both the cluster and p1697 happen at the same time has me confused.

I did install ALL led lighting in the front, Head lights, fogs, and fender markers (no blinkers) so IDK if that's causing some kind of electrical interference. Thought about trying some decodes inline of the headlights, or putting the stock bulbs back in, but the issue is so intermittent that it could be hundreds of miles before it does it again.

I might just replace the clutch valve solenoid and see what happens, just not the cheapest. Might even just pick up my own BUDS system if I keep getting issues like this, I wont give up.
    Last edited by the496rocket; 10-01-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

could very well be a bad soldier joint at the board where the connector pins attach. I just did that on my 2014. you can unclip the lens and remove the board from the housing, look at joints where they meet the board with, if you tug on each pin gently with needle nose pliers, you may find the problem joint when one lifts away from board. then needs to carefully be re-soldiered.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

ill look into this ty