Spyder Garage

Default SE Sometimes Slow Downshifting Into First

So I prefer to do my own downshifting. I can do it smoother than the bike can. On more than one occasion, I have experienced a “delay” in dropping from 2nd into 1st. I’ll be completely off throttle, hit the blipper, I’ll hear the clunk, but sometimes it takes almost a full second before I feel first fully engage. Other times, it’s virtually instantaneous. It’s almost as if it’s not going all the way into first until a bit of rolling lines things up properly. Most of the time is fine. I have learned to give myself enough time so that as I’m coming to a stop, I can verify that it’s completely shifted. This ONLY happens when going from 2nd into 1st.
    Last edited by DaniBoy; 07-15-2023 at 02:58 PM.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO ....you can't .... The auto downshift for the SE trans. is set at the LOWEST engine revs before it downshifts. If you manually downshift the odds of you doing it exactly like the computer is slim .... not dissing you .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO ....you can't .... The auto downshift for the SE trans. is set at the LOWEST engine revs before it downshifts. If you manually downshift the odds of you doing it exactly like the computer is slim .... not dissing you .... good luck .... Mike
    It doesn't matter if you trigger the downshift when you think you want it to happen, or if you wait until the computer starts to think that you've forgotten and does it for you in a last desperate effort to keep things safe & all under control, it's STILL the computer suite that's actually executing the shift Mike!

Regardless of how it's triggered, either way it's the COMPUTER SUITE we so affectionately call the Nanny that's actually doing the downshift, and I think this is the important bit for you to realise Dani, it'll do it either as & when it's safe to do it sometime after you hit the flappy paddle, or it'll do it off its own bat as that 'act of last resort' that's been designed into the system! Either way works, but in both instances, the computer will ONLY actually execute the shift if & when it's safe to do so!! But it'll ALWAYS do it!! And if you happen trigger it a little early or are off with your timing juuust a touch Dani, then the Computer still won't let the gears grind or let the transmission get jammed into a lower gear than either the engine revs &/or the road speed would tolerate just yet - just like it won't let you ignore the need for a downshift until it's too late Mike, so it'll step in and do it for you as an act of last resort to keep things all tidy & under control.

Despite what you might think Dani, it probably DOES ALSO happen on other gear changes too, but since there's usually more road speed involved and therefore more revs, more wind noise, more road noise, etc, etc, etc, there's more scope for the computer to slightly vary some of the necessary parameters within its remit without you noticing that it's all happening/going on - something that's a whole lot harder to do when the revs and speed are lower & all the noises are less, like they usually are if you're changing from 2nd to 1st!

Plus... just as a little extra for you Dani because your Spyder is a 2010 with a centrifugal clutch, if you're going slow enough &/or you've let your revs drop below about 3500, there might be a momentary or maybe a touch longer delay while the clutch spins back up to speed & fully engages before you actually feel the lower gear selection start to noticeably slow you down... But it's still all happening, and unless you're actually gaining speed after shifting down & backing off the throttle, there's probably not too much of concern going on, altho there's actually a heap happening, exactly as it's been designed to!

So yeah, if/when you're triggering the downshift via the flappy paddles, sometimes there might be a slight delay in the shift actually occurring; or the computer managed throttle blipper might blip the throttle a little to bring the revs up to match the transmission input & output speeds, or maybe the Nanny'll do something/anything else that's in its programmed repertoire of actions &/or the within the scope of bike's designed operational characteristics .... Just cos the computer/Nanny steps in, exactly like it does when Mike leaves it to look after most of his downshifts, it doesn't usually mean there's anything to worry about!

So you've gotta know I now hafta add this, don'tcha....

Just Ryde More, Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 08:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!