Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks Install and review

I had a chance to install these the other day and yesterday was my first ride with them and it's time to do a little report.

My stock shocks had been ridden pretty hard and it's no wonder that they were pretty much shot after 42K. I decided to give the Elka Suspension a shot as I've heard good things about them on this board and they were quite a bit cheaper than the competitors setup.

The install was pretty easy. You will need a jack for sure but other than that no special tools are required.

First you need to jack the Spyder and take some of the weight off of the shocks. I did the front shocks first.

You'll have to remove the two body panels that cover the top shock bolts.

I have fog lights on my Spyder and the shock wouldn't come out with them installed, or so I thought. I removed the fog light on the first shock but on the other side I just lifted the Spyder higher so the A-arm could drop a little lower. That was just enough to fish the shock out.

Remove top bolt

Remove bottom bolt and jack the Spyder up to remove shock

Now you can install the new shock with the adjusting ring facing up.
    Put the top bolt in first and then lower the Spyder to the bottom bolt. Tighten the bolts to spec and do the same thing on the other side.

Do the same thing on the rear shock but remove the bottom bolt first so you won't have to fight the top bolt so much.

Remove top bolt and remove shock.

If you don't have Corbin bags you'll be mounting your reservoir to the back side of the right passenger peg mount. Sorry I have the Corbin bags so I don't have a picture of that but it comes with the instructions.

I also didn't get the hydraulic preload adjuster so I have one less can to mount. I ride solo and didn't feel like I needed it but it you ride two up and solo I would get this option. That will allow you to adjust the spring preload without any tools.

This is what worked good for me with the Corbin brackets. It is harder to adjust at first but once again riding solo it's not a big deal as I will adjust it once and forget about it.

This is with the side panel on looking from the tire toward the outside of the bike. The reservoir tucks in real nice there.

Now for the ride report.

I got to say the shocks look great and it's too bad you don't get to see more of them. I hoped that they worked as good as they looked.

When you order the shocks you give them you weight and how you ride and they set it up accordingly. The shocks are all the same as I understand it, all they do it change out the spring and adjust the dampening.

Soon as I took off out of the driveway I knew I needed to make some adjustments. The front had too much side to side roll but I went ahead and drove it about 10 miles before I turned around and headed back to the shop. I was pretty sure I needed to adjust the preload on the springs but I called Elka to see what they recommended. They told me to try 5 full turns and see if that helped.

Adjusting the springs is real easy and you don't have to worry about popping a cast adjuster like you do on the stock shocks. I didn't even jack the Spyder up to make the adjustments.

They give you the tools to make the adjustment.

Loosen the pinch bolt and then turn the ring as needed.

You also have dampening adjustment at the bottom of the shock.

Once again as soon as I pulled out of the driveway I knew it was right or at least pretty close. No more side to side roll and the Spyder tracked so much better than it did with the stock shocks. This thing felt like it was on rails now.

The rear shock didn't need any adjustment that I could tell but I will play with that later just for fun.

I looked for every bump and pot hole I could find and hit them head on. The shocks soaked up the bumps great and I got to say I felt like I was riding a new Spyder, not new as in not old but new as in totally different than stock. I guess I should have done this a long time ago but I just didn't want to cut loose with that much money not knowing if it was worth it or not.

I worked my way up on the twisties starting off slower than I normally run them and finishing off running much faster than I should of. The Spyder did great and I'm very happy with my investment. If I wind up with an RT this will be one of the first things I do to the front. The rear is great now but the front could use some help.

I'm pretty sure Magic Man is going to stock these but he was waiting to hear how I liked them first. Get a hold of him if you want a set. I give them a big

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How bad are the original shocks/struts?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information on the install, and the review of the ride as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Not as bad as I thought they would be and not as bad as yours.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Not as bad as I thought they would be and not as bad as yours.
    ...@ 26,300 miles...

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics and review!

Been looking at these for some time now---- still gotta wait for some $$$$--- but maybe with next months blackjack winnings---

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

That is something I would consider getting in the future. I will wait and see if Evan gets them and what kind of pricing he has. Also, have to get some more $ in my pockets.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lamont,

Are those rebuildable shocks? They look like a very high quality shock. My personal email is r.gargano@garganos.com as I will get your reply alot quicker.

Spyder Garage

Some basic info on Elka shocks and what you can expect.
    '
    Elka custom builds it's shock the match the drivers weight and come in 25 lbs. weight ranges.

Most times after the shocks are ordered they can be built in 10 to 15 days.

There are 3 different style of front shocks and 4 different styles of rear shocks.

John at Elka told me the most popular choices for the Spyder as well as the most common weight ranges.

In as much to speed up the process we will be ordering and stocking a few sets here on "US soil" (as Elka is from Canada) in the most common weight ranges and style shocks. As far John knows we were told once or stock is here we will be the only "US location stocking" Spyder shocks for immediate delivery.

Other weight ranges or styles can still be special ordered from us, and you will receive free shipping on all special ordered units.

Elka shocks have 1 year warranty and a "30 day free adjustment period" in which the shocks can be sent in direct to Elka to make any final needed adjustments to help them better "fit" the driver and his riding style.

For more information please fell free to call us.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

on working out that deal. It sounds like it could be a very nice partnership.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

The shocks do look awesome in person. Like Lamont said, too bad you can't see more of them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I would LOVE a set - they look awesome and I bet the ride is way better but too rich for my blood
    EXTREMELY HAPPY OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutus450 View Post
    I would LOVE a set - they look awesome and I bet the ride is way better but too rich for my blood
    on every point you make. But who knows, I could get crazy and spend the cash.

Spyder Garage

Adjusting the preload also changes the ride height.

Making a pre and post install measurement may be a good idea for anyone looking to install a set.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    Adjusting the preload also changes the ride height.

Making a pre and post install measurement may be a good idea for anyone looking to install a set.
    That would be true for any shock, including the stock ones.

Spyder Garage

Default hmmmmm . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Thanks for the pics and review!

Been looking at these for some time now---- still gotta wait for some $$$$--- but maybe with next months blackjack winnings---
    . . . . Blackjack. No wonder you are waiting for $ .

Anyway, don't you have enough stuff in your signature already?!?!

But, getting back on topic, I was wondering if getting a swaybar would be the thing to do first or shocks.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post

But, getting back on topic, I was wondering if getting a swaybar would be the thing to do first or shocks.

Tom
    Haven't tried the shocks but I'd say the swaybar first. The two together must be SWEET!

Spyder Garage

. . . I was wondering if getting a swaybar would be the thing to do first or shocks.

Tom
    sway bar would be more anywhere between $1,400 to $2,600 cheaper

wortha try
    EXTREMELY HAPPY OWNER

Spyder Garage

Would love to swap my shocks out... but just found out today my car needs $1500 worth of work and I won't get it back until Tuesday. Maybe in the spring {sigh}
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Simple question.

What is the price on the shocks?
    If you mod your ride to the approval of others then is not really yours... A Fuego ! XXX 74

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XXX 74 View Post
    Simple question.

What is the price on the shocks?
    according to the website - they range between 1600 and 2800 depending on which model you want
    EXTREMELY HAPPY OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As, everyone has stated these are expensive!! But, they are well worth the investment. I have had mine on now for 11,000+ miles and the ride is still excellant. Those that live in California can attest to the bumps on some freeways, that just bounce the daylites out of you. With these shocks, you don't even feel them. The studder bumps on the interstates that are suppose to wake you up, if you drift to far out of your lane. You don't feel those either. You can hear tires going over them, but you don't feel a thing. I can also tell you that they do reduce some of the vibration in the mirrors. They significantly reduce the roll of the bike when going through the turns and twisties.

IMHO: The qaulity of this product, and the benefits they give the ride, are well worth the price.

Spyder Garage

Tom
    I would get the swaybar first---- something you're gonna want anyway.

I could get the $$$ quicker playing blackjack--- but I keep letting my day job get in the way----

Also--- as sharp as these are-- and I REALLY want them---- now I'm thinking that $$$ might just need to go towards an Aerocharger-----
    Last edited by Firefly; 11-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Just another update.

I went on about a 300 mile ride on Saturday and one of the first things I really noticed was how great the Spyder was tracking on the highway. I did a couple of high speed runs and the Spyder acted as if it was on rails. I expected it to help in the turns but had no idea it would make such a difference in the straight aways too.

After riding Deals Gap I noticed the vss was a little more forgiving too. All in all it is one of the best mods to date on my Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Just another update.

I went on about a 300 mile ride on Saturday and one of the first things I really noticed was how great the Spyder was tracking on the highway. I did a couple of high speed runs and the Spyder acted as if it was on rails. I expected it to help in the turns but had no idea it would make such a difference in the straight aways too.

After riding Deals Gap I noticed the vss was a little more forgiving too. All in all it is one of the best mods to date on my Spyder.
    Only a couple of high speed runs