Spyder Garage

Default Help, got Check Transmission message

I took a ride today on my 2015 Spyder F3-S to record data on my PV-3. It was hot (Texas) and some of the riding was at high speed. I was making a low speed run when I got a Check Transmission message. When I pulled over the transmission stayed in the 4th gear and the engine was running higher than idle. I switched the engine off, then back on - it still indicated 4th gear and would not shift up or down or start. I caught a ride home and went back later after the bike had cooled. It worked like nothing was wrong. Now I am afraid to ride it. It could be the Transmission Control Module, but I don't even know where it is located. The nearest dealer is about 3 1/2 hours away.

Anyone ever experience this? Any advice appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Change your oil -- its likely overheated and could damage your transmission

SeniorRider -- excellent description of circumstances.

High speed in hot air on hot roads -- engine/transmission oil gets hot but is cooled by high RPM and airflow.

Followed by

Low speed in hot air on hot roads -- engine/transmission oil absorbs even more heat from residual engine heat without high RPM and airflow to dissipate it. The transmission (which has a two section pump circuit of its own) is no longer able to achieve requisite pressures or perhaps the solenoids locked up due to the tight tolerance shift control mechanism.

Recommendation: immediately change engine/transmission oil, engine filter and HCM filter to ensure any degraded oil doesn't result in clutch plate varnish or loss of shift circuit lubrication (the Rotax is tough enough to survive).

Motul 7100 15W50 https://www.amazon.com/Motul-7100-ES...dp/B00IKCYPT2/ is working very well for me.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input!