Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    87
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Recommend any Wind deflectors for 2020 RT?

    I'd like some recommendations for 2020 Spyder RT Limited "wind deflectors". The highway buffeting is terrible. I'm going to get 28in. windscreen, but I want to add deflectors also.

  2. #2
    Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Peter Aawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Australia; Sth Aust, Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    6,835
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Have you looked at the Bakerbuilt Airwings yet - the wings that really work?? They are Sponsors here; you can check out their offerings by clicking on their link on the Spyderlovers Home page Or go direct via the link here:

    http://bakerbuiltairwings.com/categories.php?cat=2

    Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2021 at 03:27 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

    Ryde More, Worry Less!

  3. #3
    Very Active Member Cruzr Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bryant, Arkansas
    Posts
    10,144
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    if you buy the F-4 windshield, you can buy the wings that attach to it and they are great

    www.f4customs.com

    cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

  4. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    N. Wilkesboro, NC
    Posts
    1,863
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    if you buy the F-4 windshield, you can buy the wings that attach to it and they are great

    www.f4customs.com

    cruzr joe
    That's only for the F3T/Limited. The RT windscreens for the RT don't have that option.

    OP---I'd recommend the OEM upper and lower wind deflectors. They replace the stock units and work very well. They're also adjustable. They look MUCH better than the Baker Built deflectors but honestly probably don't work quite as well.

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    257
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERJERRY1 View Post
    I'd like some recommendations for 2020 Spyder RT Limited "wind deflectors". The highway buffeting is terrible. I'm going to get 28in. windscreen, but I want to add deflectors also.
    I guess I'm fortunate, I have not experiences any buffeting with the OEM windshield and fixed air deflectors. But I am thinking about buying the OEM adjustable deflectors to try to get more airflow in hot weather.

  6. #6
    Active Member ButterSmooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    406
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I guess I'm fortunate, I have not experiences any buffeting with the OEM windshield and fixed air deflectors. But I am thinking about buying the OEM adjustable deflectors to try to get more airflow in hot weather.
    The adjustable deflectors do help cool, but mostly with air to the legs. They are a little more 'leaky' in the cold. That being said, I like mine.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    257
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    The adjustable deflectors do help cool, but mostly with air to the legs. They are a little more 'leaky' in the cold. That being said, I like mine.
    That's good to know, thanks for the input. With the fixed deflectors I feel like I get no air movement around my legs so the adjustable ones sound like just the ticket. I can deal with the cold if they leak a little.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    863
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERJERRY1 View Post
    I'd like some recommendations for 2020 Spyder RT Limited "wind deflectors". The highway buffeting is terrible. I'm going to get 28in. windscreen, but I want to add deflectors also.
    I had Bakerbuilt Air Wings on my '15 RT Limited. They were great in conjunction with the +3 Wide F4 Windshield. All Mounting hardware was "away" from the paint. For 2020/2021 the Airwings mount much closer to the painted surface of the trike based on pictures and a verbal explanation. Not my cup of tea in light of comments about the paint being more easily scratched. My alternative was to purchase the adjustable upper and lower wind deflectors from BRP. They had to be ordered and should be in this week. I repurposed my F4 windshield from my '15 to my '21.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Bartlett, TN
    Posts
    67
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    On my 2021 RT-L I keep the stock windshield in the lowest position (I'm 5'8") and I have the adjustable OEM deflectors. With the deflectors in the closed position I don't get any buffeting unless I am going over 60 mph but it is not enough that I raise the windshield. This past weekend it was warm enough that I opened the OEM deflectors and I immediately noticed the pressure behind the shield changed and I get some buffeting. Still not enough to raise the windshield but I noticed it immediately and raising the shield did help. I will say the adjustable deflectors don't redirect air onto your torso like the Baker wings did on my Goldwing. I ride with a mesh jacket and with the upper deflector open I feel more air on my lower sides and lower back (no backrest). There is some additional air flow on my torso area but it is subtle. The upper deflectors just don't turn in enough to direct it to your torso. The lower deflectors put wind on your legs and help move engine heat off of them. I have not ridden with a passenger yet with them open to give you any feedback from their perspective.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    4
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I also have the OEM adjustable upper and lower air deflectors and concur with DanDanTMM that they will increase the air buffeting when open but for me I just raise the windshield a bit, I am 5'10" and for me personally they a huge game changer when it gets hot out, air isn't deflected directly at you,who wants 75mph air blasting you directly in the chest rolling down the highway? To me the air when deflectors are open seems to be a swirling right in front of you, I find them awesome in the heat.

  11. #11
    Very Active Member Cruzr Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bryant, Arkansas
    Posts
    10,144
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    That's only for the F3T/Limited. The RT windscreens for the RT don't have that option.

    OP---I'd recommend the OEM upper and lower wind deflectors. They replace the stock units and work very well. They're also adjustable. They look MUCH better than the Baker Built deflectors but honestly probably don't work quite as well.

    You are correct, thank you, I sometime forget that they make an RT model LOL
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

  12. #12
    Member Redtail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    21
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mlazicki View Post
    I also have the OEM adjustable upper and lower air deflectors and concur with DanDanTMM that they will increase the air buffeting when open but for me I just raise the windshield a bit, I am 5'10" and for me personally they a huge game changer when it gets hot out, air isn't deflected directly at you,who wants 75mph air blasting you directly in the chest rolling down the highway? To me the air when deflectors are open seems to be a swirling right in front of you, I find them awesome in the heat.
    What's your experience with the OEM adjustable air deflectors in cold weather? Do they help?
    USN SCPO (ret.) with a fondness for Red-tailed hawks
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT Limited (Redtail III)
    Previous rides:
    2014 BMW F700GS (Redtail II)
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2010 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (Redtail I)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    2020 Limited , Red

  13. #13
    Active Member ButterSmooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    406
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    What's your experience with the OEM adjustable air deflectors in cold weather? Do they help?
    I find them almost as good as the stock 'fixed' deflectors in the cold. Just a bit more 'leaky'.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

  14. #14
    Active Member ColoRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Sidney, NE
    Posts
    30
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanDanTMM View Post
    On my 2021 RT-L I keep the stock windshield in the lowest position (I'm 5'8") and I have the adjustable OEM deflectors. With the deflectors in the closed position I don't get any buffeting unless I am going over 60 mph but it is not enough that I raise the windshield. This past weekend it was warm enough that I opened the OEM deflectors and I immediately noticed the pressure behind the shield changed and I get some buffeting. Still not enough to raise the windshield but I noticed it immediately and raising the shield did help. I will say the adjustable deflectors don't redirect air onto your torso like the Baker wings did on my Goldwing. I ride with a mesh jacket and with the upper deflector open I feel more air on my lower sides and lower back (no backrest). There is some additional air flow on my torso area but it is subtle. The upper deflectors just don't turn in enough to direct it to your torso. The lower deflectors put wind on your legs and help move engine heat off of them. I have not ridden with a passenger yet with them open to give you any feedback from their perspective.
    Do I read this to understand the lower wings probably do more for diverting cooler air than the upper wings? I just purchased my RTL about a month ago and have not ridden much in warmer temps (probably 75 degrees f tops), but I already feel there is a need for more air movement - even with the shield all the way down - which is how I normally ride. Too bad I missed the Black Friday sale at BRP!
    2020 Spyder RTL

    Enjoy life today
    Yesterday is gone
    Tomorrow may never come

  15. #15
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    257
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I guess I'm fortunate, I have not experiences any buffeting with the OEM windshield and fixed air deflectors. But I am thinking about buying the OEM adjustable deflectors to try to get more airflow in hot weather.
    I've quoted myself as I have purchased and installed the adjustable deflectors since that post. As previously stated with the OEM fixed deflectors I received virtually no air movement in the cockpit (good when it's cold, but not so good in hot temps). The adjustable deflectors do allow some decent airflow when opened up, but the tradeoff is it causes buffeting. Partially raising the windshield eliminates 90% of the buffeting for me (I'm 6' tall). I can still see over the top of the windshield with it raised just enough to eliminate the buffeting but I much prefer the windshield in its lowest position...oh well trade offs are to be expected. Overall I'm happy I installed the adjustable deflectors.

  16. #16
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    257
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanDanTMM View Post
    On my 2021 RT-L I keep the stock windshield in the lowest position (I'm 5'8") and I have the adjustable OEM deflectors. With the deflectors in the closed position I don't get any buffeting unless I am going over 60 mph but it is not enough that I raise the windshield. This past weekend it was warm enough that I opened the OEM deflectors and I immediately noticed the pressure behind the shield changed and I get some buffeting. Still not enough to raise the windshield but I noticed it immediately and raising the shield did help. I will say the adjustable deflectors don't redirect air onto your torso like the Baker wings did on my Goldwing. I ride with a mesh jacket and with the upper deflector open I feel more air on my lower sides and lower back (no backrest). There is some additional air flow on my torso area but it is subtle. The upper deflectors just don't turn in enough to direct it to your torso. The lower deflectors put wind on your legs and help move engine heat off of them. I have not ridden with a passenger yet with them open to give you any feedback from their perspective.
    DanDanTM is pretty much spot on with my experience.

  17. #17
    Very Active Member Peteoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harrington, Australia
    Posts
    3,227
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Jerry…..Peter A mentioned Baker wings earlier. They have released a set for the ‘20+ RT. The link below shows what they look like. I don’t have them, so I can’t comment on them.
    http://bakerbuiltairwings.com/prodde...prod=20SPYRTAW

    Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2021 at 10:25 PM. Reason: They... ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

    2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

    HeliBars Handlebars (elongated handlebar bar slot to get more height)
    Highway pegs bolted under floorboards.
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/15 boot access.
    Kenda Kanine Fronts (Rears unavailable in Oz ATM).
    RabbitWorks (Aussie) Dual Setting Stabiliser Bar (Lamonster links)
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round (setting 2 of 4 for pothole smoothing with improved handling)
    Russell Daylong seat (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

  18. #18
    Very Active Member Copperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maumelle, AR
    Posts
    2,032
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    You should look into Wind Wings. https://www.windwings.net/ They were a vendor at the Spyder Rally in Deland, FL a few weeks ago and I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with their product. Check them out.

    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2016 F3 Limited , Pearl White

  19. #19
    Very Active Member Peteoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harrington, Australia
    Posts
    3,227
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    You should look into Wind Wings. https://www.windwings.net/ They were a vendor at the Spyder Rally in Deland, FL a few weeks ago and I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with their product. Check them out.
    From their website, it looks like they only make wings for pre ‘20 RTs, Copperman….(unless I’ve missed something).

    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

    2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

    HeliBars Handlebars (elongated handlebar bar slot to get more height)
    Highway pegs bolted under floorboards.
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/15 boot access.
    Kenda Kanine Fronts (Rears unavailable in Oz ATM).
    RabbitWorks (Aussie) Dual Setting Stabiliser Bar (Lamonster links)
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round (setting 2 of 4 for pothole smoothing with improved handling)
    Russell Daylong seat (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

  20. #20
    Active Member rick_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio, Madison
    Posts
    484
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    We do sell the Baker Air Wings for the 20+ RT and we also have them installed on our own 20+ RT.
    They work well and can recommend them. If you want wind protection, this is it. We have tested them in the very cold and really hot. Works great.
    Picture is on our own bike. The dark tint is the most popular.

    https://store.valueaccessories.net/S...pyderRT20.aspx

    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

  21. #21
    Active Member pidjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    417
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    On my 2021 RTL the uppers are moderately effective, lowers not so much. On the GL1800 the Bakers were GREAT!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

  22. #22
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    3,341
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    .

    Hi Jerry,
    I know this thread is about deflectors-------BUT adding a VENT to the windshield will push the bubble of still air over your head ( and your passengers) it's simple aerodynamics ( not that aerodynamics is simple). It has worked for me on 2 rides with upright shields. Just ask my wife

    LEW L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months.ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    257
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    If his windshield is like the one on my 2021 RTL it comes from the factory with pretty good sized vents already in the windshield.

  24. #24
    Very Active Member latony007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Outside L.A.
    Posts
    719
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    We do sell the Baker Air Wings for the 20+ RT and we also have them installed on our own 20+ RT.
    They work well and can recommend them. If you want wind protection, this is it. We have tested them in the very cold and really hot. Works great.
    Picture is on our own bike. The dark tint is the most popular.

    https://store.valueaccessories.net/S...pyderRT20.aspx

    i hope they work the best, these are massive!
    Tony From Los Angeles

    Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

  25. #25
    Active Member mecsw500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    133
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    If his windshield is like the one on my 2021 RTL it comes from the factory with pretty good sized vents already in the windshield.
    Yes, so did my 2021 RTL, and it has an upper and lower pair of small fixed deflectors too. Not sure if they were a dealer option or not, but the combination seems to work quite well. A lot less buffeting than bikes I've owned with full fairings in the past.

    I find it works best if I set the windshield just below my sight line, above or below that it starts to buffet a bit. I'm about 6 foot and long in the torso but I'm quite pleased overall with the air flow.

    We bought a new pair of helmets for this year, the old ones were getting a bit long in the tooth. I have a Shoei modular and my wife has a Shoei full face. The old ones were Shoei too though and seemed a very similar shape but the buffeting is noticeably reduced with the new ones and not just the noise - well I'm deaf as a post anyway.

    Perhaps the reduction in buffeting is a combination of many small things, like the small deflectors, the windshield relative height to you, the windshield venting and the helmet shape, all working together to make a big thing?
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •