Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Active Member Papa103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    90
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default Is 2021 RTL gearing the same as 2019's?

    Is the 2021 RTL geared the same as 2019's? It might be me but my 2021 seems to have more power than the 2019 did.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

  2. #2
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piperton, TN
    Posts
    114
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Speaking of gearing, I am a little puzzled by my 2021 RT Limited. It seems to go so fast through 4th gear, then 5th a little longer. I can drive 6th from 45 mph to top speed. It seems all the gears are packed really low under 45 mph. I kind of wish they spread them out a bit keeping 6th as an overdrive that was best used at highway speeds. Maybe we could get better gas mileage as well.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Apex, N.C.
    Posts
    2,475
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    Is the 2021 RTL geared the same as 2019's? It might be me but my 2021 seems to have more power than the 2019 did.
    I don't own one, but 2 of my buddies traded in their 2014 and 2015 RT for a 2020 RT Limited. They said the 2020 was smoother, but not as strong as their older bikes. I did a test ride on a 2020, and I came to the same conclusion. Very smooth though.
    2016 F3T , brake pedal from "Web Boards" Red and Black

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    155
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    This video by BRP engineer explains the 1330 engine when released. Just wondering if there have been changes since to either engine or transmission? I would think the increased smoothness likely due to changes in sprocket, idler pulley, other BRP micro changes over the pre 2020 machines. I seldom use 6th gear unless speeds >60-65 mph. I like the "compressed" torque curve.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0syuHXBIE&t=6s
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed link

  5. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hesston, PA
    Posts
    737
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The final drive rear sprocket is the 79 T on the 20/21 RT's...

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    2,870
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    This video by BRP engineer explains the 1330 engine when released. Just wondering if there have been changes since to either engine or transmission? I would think the increased smoothness likely due to changes in sprocket, idler pulley, other BRP micro changes over the pre 2020 machines. I seldom use 6th gear unless speeds >60-65 mph. I like the "compressed" torque curve.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0syuHXBIE&t=6s
    I think the url is incorrect. I was hoping to see a real live BRP engineer ..........
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed link in quote
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months.ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    155
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Oops, that one to my ranch friend near Cotulla, TX. Try this one for BRP engineer.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0syuHXBIE&t=6s

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    149
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Speaking of gearing, I am a little puzzled by my 2021 RT Limited. It seems to go so fast through 4th gear, then 5th a little longer. I can drive 6th from 45 mph to top speed. It seems all the gears are packed really low under 45 mph. I kind of wish they spread them out a bit keeping 6th as an overdrive that was best used at highway speeds. Maybe we could get better gas mileage as well.
    My 2020RT would have no issues with at least one more top end gear. Engine has plenty of grunt at 2800-3000 RPM for interstate cruising at 80mph or so.

  9. #9
    Active Member Papa103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    90
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    I looked up on BRP parts, both 2019 & 2021 have the same front and rear sprockets. I have notice that it seems smoother also.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

  10. #10
    Very Active Member Jetfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lake Wylie, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    547
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    The 2020/2021 RT's do not have that long, squashed, convoluted intake tube.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

  11. #11
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    2,870
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Question Better intake and throttle body question

    .

    But the do have a baffled intake. Intake air has to make a sharp 180* turn just after entering the Spyder before the " long,squashed, convoluted intake dtube." Not exactly "ram air". I cut out the front of it and will continue to open and smooth the intake opening. One horsepower at a time-- so to speak.

    Another power question if I may:

    On the 1330 ECU, does the throttle body open 100% at full throttle????? I think it does NOT but would love to know for sure. Pretty sure the ECU stage 1 flash does open the throttle body fully.
    Thanks Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months.ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

  12. #12
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piperton, TN
    Posts
    114
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    My 2020RT would have no issues with at least one more top end gear. Engine has plenty of grunt at 2800-3000 RPM for interstate cruising at 80mph or so.
    Totally agree

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •