Spyder Garage

Default auto leveling question

I have a 2020 RT limited that has auto leveling. Does the engine have to be running for it to work or just the key in the on position.

Spyder Garage

If it's like all the earlier Spyders, it'll need the engine to be running AND the trans in gear before the compressor will do its thing!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll have to add to Peter's comment.

Not only does the engine have to be running and the transmission in gear, the parking brake has to be OFF.

This is easy enough to test at home. Find a couple of chock blocks that will keep the bike from rolling and put them ahead of and behind a wheel. Start the engine, put in gear, release the parking brake. Does the 2020 have an adjustment switch like earlier models? If so, play with the switch, you will see and hear the suspension adjusting. NOTE: on our '17, the first press of the adjustment button will "wake up" the system, the second press actually makes the change.

That will test that the switch is making adjustments, but to check the auto-level, stand on one of the passenger floorboards, you should hear the compressor kick in. We tried this at night, with the headlights shining across the yard. It was interesting to see the lights return to the same level when the auto-levelling was complete.

HER rides:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White
    1982 Suzuki GS850GL

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

No suspension switch since 2018.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, should still see the action when stepping on the rear floorboards.

I'll add that to the "another reason I like our '17" file.

HER rides:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White
    1982 Suzuki GS850GL

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity are you having any issues, or just fact finding on your part?
    2017 RTL

Spyder Garage

just learning my rig. No issues at really

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I'll have to add to Peter's comment.

Not only does the engine have to be running and the transmission in gear, the parking brake has to be OFF.

This is easy enough to test at home. Find a couple of chock blocks that will keep the bike from rolling and put them ahead of and behind a wheel. Start the engine, put in gear, release the parking brake. Does the 2020 have an adjustment switch like earlier models? If so, play with the switch, you will see and hear the suspension adjusting. NOTE: on our '17, the first press of the adjustment button will "wake up" the system, the second press actually makes the change.

That will test that the switch is making adjustments, but to check the auto-level, stand on one of the passenger floorboards, you should hear the compressor kick in. We tried this at night, with the headlights shining across the yard. It was interesting to see the lights return to the same level when the auto-levelling was complete.

I played around with standing on and getting off the passenger foot rest with my 220 lbs. The head light beam only moved slightly on the wall of the car port. I think I have a stealth pump. Checked the fuses and swapped the relay with the reverse one. Reverse still worked. So a better test appeared in my brain! I put it back in the car port with the blocks front and back of the rear tire and with the engine off I lifted the seat and let the air out of the system and watched the rear sink down a few inches. Started it up and the stealth unheard pump brought it right back up to its ride height. Pump must be at one of the ranges the VA hearing test said I have lost. Anyway a very definitive test that the pump does work!
    2018 RT Limited Chrome - Champagne Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix

Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, dual USB with volt meter, GPS, phone and drink holders, Front tires = Formoza's, BajaRon sway bar, dash cam, foam grips, 7 Jurock WS, Ikea sheep skin, HW pegs, third brake light 4 LED strobe and driver back rest.

Spyder Garage

So I crawled underneath and the Ride height adjuster lever was in fact attached. I then checked the pressure in the schrader valve and found that the air was only at 40 lbs. I checked the schrader valve core and it was not very tight so I tightened it. I then put 55 psi in the system. That is what is called for at my weight of 230 lbs. I will leave it for a few days and recheck the pressure. If it is losing pressure I will contact the dealer. I know you can buy extension hoses to go on the valve but I also know they have a history of leaking. Any thoughts on an extension hose to make airing it up when I am riding two up easier?

Spyder Garage

You have the Ltd, auto adjust height. you could only check if you have any leaks by adding air. as soon as you start moving the auto adjust will either let air out or tell compressor to add air
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400