Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Active Member Jetfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lake Wylie, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    459
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default Another 2020 RT issue solved!

    A major issue I've had with my new 2020 RTL has been that the "glove box" that is intended for you to put your phone in while using BRP Connect, gets extremely hot. This console is directly above the engine and gets a tremendous amount of radiant heat, both while riding, and when parked. My phone has even given me a warning that due to overheating, it was closing some apps. I covered this box with a heat shield product that is able to withstand 400 direct heat, and 2000 radiant heat. It's self adhesive and the only draw back is that I can no longer read the warning label that tells me how to start the bike After a 20 mile ride at 90F, the inside of the plastic box was actually cool to the touch!! It's not cheap; it was about $23, but it is saving a very expensive cell phone from overheating.

    foil wrap.jpg

  2. #2
    Active Member Jetfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lake Wylie, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    459
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Our site sponsors should glom onto this as a new product offering!!!!

  3. #3
    Active Member Scotts8826's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    218
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    A fix for a Spyder issue that cost $23!? Sounds like a cheap fix to me.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    4
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Jetfixer would you share the name of the insulation wrap you used? TIA!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    6
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Where did you purchase this?

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Durham,Maine
    Posts
    1,394
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    https://www.carparts.com/jc_whitney
    They have all of that sort of stuff!

  7. #7
    Very Active Member PW2013STL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,451
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    https://www.carparts.com/jc_whitney
    They have all of that sort of stuff!
    I did not find it there, but did find this-
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/89...r%20Categories
    2018 F3L, 2020 RTL

    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?

  8. #8
    Active Member Jetfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lake Wylie, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    459
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
    Jetfixer would you share the name of the insulation wrap you used? TIA!
    I used DEI Performance Products Reflect A-Cool. It's stocked at most major auto parts stores.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member Copperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maumelle, AR
    Posts
    1,795
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Ebay has it for $14.30 plus tax w/ free shipping. I just ordered mine. Thanks Bret.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/163908618610

    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin 590LM, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.

  10. #10
    Active Member JimFoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Farmersville TX
    Posts
    57
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I ordered a sheet off Amazon and installed it on the outside of my glove box. It made a world of difference.

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    50
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimFoy View Post
    I ordered a sheet off Amazon and installed it on the outside of my glove box. It made a world of difference.
    Same for me. Night and day difference!

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  12. #12
    Active Member trong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    West Valley City, Utah
    Posts
    58
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The RT models which retail for almost $29K have been around for over a decade and the heated glove box issue has been carried over and over after several improvements and redesigns of the Spyder. Sometime I just wonder what those engineers and managers at BRP are thinking, or not thinking. I am amazed that we are so proud of ourselves fixing the problems that should not exist in a vehicle costs that much.
    Cheers.
    13 Honda CB1100
    13 Spyder RT-L

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Did it affect the phone signal? Or range?

  14. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    50
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papaloco View Post
    Did it affect the phone signal? Or range?
    I have not seen any noticeable difference in signal reception. Although I did leave a piece of the top of the glovebox uncovered for heat to exit.

  15. #15
    Active Member Jetfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lake Wylie, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    459
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papaloco View Post
    Did it affect the phone signal? Or range?
    None that I can tell either.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    E. Central Illinois
    Posts
    19
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    None that I can tell either.
    This stuff works!!! Went for a ryde yesterday, temp in the mid 80s, after about an hour, I checked the glovebox and it was cool inside. Might trust putting my phone in there now.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern New York
    Posts
    61
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have a 2021 RT Limited and i get Zero heat in the glove box.Dosent even get warm. I keep my back up pistol in there.Fits perfect. I checked it today after a 60 mile ride and not even warm. Perhaps This is one of the few differences between the 2020 and 2021...anyone else with a 2021 notice no heat?

  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Posts
    48
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Same here, just picked up my 2021 RT Limited and the glove box is staying cool. I rode about 100 miles and my phone stayed cool. They must have made a change between 20 and 21,

  19. #19
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Northern New York
    Posts
    61
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmur View Post
    Same here, just picked up my 2021 RT Limited and the glove box is staying cool. I rode about 100 miles and my phone stayed cool. They must have made a change between 20 and 21,
    I went 128 miles yesterday and checked it again for heat...not even warm!Your right they must of made a change between 20 and 21..Curious what other changes they made.

  20. #20
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    11,392
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    The RT models which retail for almost $29K have been around for over a decade and the heated glove box issue has been carried over and over after several improvements and redesigns of the Spyder. Sometime I just wonder what those engineers and managers at BRP are thinking, or not thinking. I am amazed that we are so proud of ourselves fixing the problems that should not exist in a vehicle costs that much.
    Cheers.
    People think that engineers run these companies. This is why I always chuckle at those who respond to a modification by saying 'If the engineers thought this was a good idea, they would have included it in the design'. Or, 'I'm not switching because the engineers know what is best'. And I agree. The engineers probably do know whats best. But it's the pencil pushers and bean counters who run the company. It always comes down to the bottom line. And you have to know that, many times, the engineers walk away shaking their heads.

    This is what keeps aftermarket people in business. We do what the engineers wish they could.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-11-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  21. #21
    Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Dorr, michigan
    Posts
    1,119
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    People think that engineers run these companies. This is why I always chuckle at those who respond to a modification by saying 'If the engineers thought this was a good idea, they would have included it in the design'. Or, 'I'm not switching because the engineers know what is best'. And I agree. The engineers probably do know whats best. But it's the pencil pushers and bean counters who run the company. It always comes down to the bottom line. And you have to know that, many times, the engineers walk away shaking their heads.

    This is what keeps aftermarket people in business. We do what the engineers wish they could.
    so very true. It all comes down to added cost, not just the cost of the material, but the labor to install it also.
    2015 RTL


  22. #22
    Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Dorr, michigan
    Posts
    1,119
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmur View Post
    Same here, just picked up my 2021 RT Limited and the glove box is staying cool. I rode about 100 miles and my phone stayed cool. They must have made a change between 20 and 21,
    Mine stays cool while I ride (2020) but when I stop for a break the heat goes up and into the box, warm enough to cause my phone to close apps. NEVER happens if it is moving down the road.
    2015 RTL


  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley
    Posts
    10
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Cool n' not

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Mine stays cool while I ride (2020) but when I stop for a break the heat goes up and into the box, warm enough to cause my phone to close apps. NEVER happens if it is moving down the road.
    I Second.
    I've kept an eye on the issue since reading this thread. I found the same results as you Fatcycledaddy. The glove box does get stinkin' hot when I park for a few, but remains cool when moving.
    Last edited by Truckie; 09-12-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •