Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RS SE5 in Silver?

Hello All - Newbie here but I've been on other moto and vehicle forums in the past. This forum seems to be another great one with lots of nice people sharing their experience and expertise. I'm a former motorcycle rider with moderate experience. (Triumph Speed Triple 990, Suzuki DR-Z400S)
    I'm looking at a 2011 RS SE5 for sale and it is silver. In my research, I came across a 2011 RS/RSS brochure and it shows that the only two colors available for the 2011 RS are Pure Magnesium and Pearl White.
    The Spyder I'm interested in is definitely silver and not the Pure Magnesium.
    How could this be? Special Order? Replacement panels or repaint?
    Could it possibly be from a different year and the seller is mistaken?

Any input would be much appreciated!

it looks like a great Spyder in good condition and fairly low mileage for the year. I'm ready to ride!

Thanks in advance!
    5e66ab743ec05a4419112e45.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 rs

Quote Originally Posted by PoeTiger View Post
    Hello All - Newbie here but I've been on other moto and vehicle forums in the past. This forum seems to be another great one with lots of nice people sharing their experience and expertise. I'm a former motorcycle rider with moderate experience. (Triumph Speed Triple 990, Suzuki DR-Z400S)
    I'm looking at a 2011 RS SE5 for sale and it is silver. In my research, I came across a 2011 RS/RSS brochure and it shows that the only two colors available for the 2011 RS are Pure Magnesium and Pearl White.
    The Spyder I'm interested in is definitely silver and not the Pure Magnesium.
    How could this be? Special Order? Replacement panels or repaint?
    Could it possibly be from a different year and the seller is mistaken?

Any input would be much appreciated!

it looks like a great Spyder in good condition and fairly low mileage for the year. I'm ready to ride!

Thanks in advance!
    5e66ab743ec05a4419112e45.jpg
    .... What BRP or any company names any color is just that .... They name their color .... I have seen at least 35 different names for White. .... imho, since BRP hasn't sold any spyder since 2015 with that engine, if you can manage it financially get something with the 1330 engine / trans combo ...... I hope you have ridden at least some of the other models ..... all the best ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

And I will disagree on the need for the 1330, the 998 is plenty capable, and after tuning mine, I am fairly certain the 1330 can't do what my trike does. I would go to the line to back it up, you get more torque from a V-twin.

While I WANT a 1330 beasty for a touring cruiser one day, performance wise, I would take the 998 hands down over the 1330, its simpler motor, and less weight too. The ADVANTAGE to a 1330 is parts, the 998 stuff is getting less and less available.

You likely had one of those "Tweener models" where they are launching a new color the next year, and release a few the first year, it definitely has the 11 rims, but it looks like a 12 from the paint. Pull and run the VIN would be one way to find out for sure. Open the 998 up and let it breath, it will rip your arms off. I was in the same position you were last year, and I had a 1330 model in my sites too and could have gotten it. I got the 2012 Spyder RS-S basically model, and I have never regretted it one minute. And by parts I mean that some of the specialty lighting and BRP stuff is out of circulation now, but there are a million 998 out there in side by side and other rigs....believe me, save your money if that is a concern, the 998 is a VERY capable machine.

I HAVE seen the 11 in the Magnesium at a shop in Colorado too, I almost bought it. I have a thing for that color, all my rigs are magnesium or grey. I love that one you have here, its sexy, dip the rims black, but thats easy enough.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    And I will disagree on the need for the 1330, the 998 is plenty capable, and after tuning mine, I am fairly certain the 1330 can't do what my trike does. I would go to the line to back it up, you get more torque from a V-twin.

While I WANT a 1330 beasty for a touring cruiser one day, performance wise, I would take the 998 hands down over the 1330, its simpler motor, and less weight too. The ADVANTAGE to a 1330 is parts, the 998 stuff is getting less and less available.

You likely had one of those "Tweener models" where they are launching a new color the next year, and release a few the first year, it definitely has the 11 rims, but it looks like a 12 from the paint. Pull and run the VIN would be one way to find out for sure. Open the 998 up and let it breath, it will rip your arms off. I was in the same position you were last year, and I had a 1330 model in my sites too and could have gotten it. I got the 2012 Spyder RS-S basically model, and I have never regretted it one minute. And by parts I mean that some of the specialty lighting and BRP stuff is out of circulation now, but there are a million 998 out there in side by side and other rigs....believe me, save your money if that is a concern, the 998 is a VERY capable machine.

I HAVE seen the 11 in the Magnesium at a shop in Colorado too, I almost bought it. I have a thing for that color, all my rigs are magnesium or grey. I love that one you have here, its sexy, dip the rims black, but thats easy enough.
    The word ..." NEED " ... isn't anything I said in my post . If you own something that you can't get parts for that's a major problem. Glad to hear you got the "Tune " ..... Have you met anyone with a 1330 that " got the tune " ????? ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey Guys - Thank you for the feedback! I have requested the VIN# from the person selling it and will run it as soon as I get it. To me the bike I'm looking at is lighter in color and more like a Silver color than the magnesium in the 2001 RS/RSS Brochure, which appears to be more grey. I'm fine with either color as long as the bike checks out. The color discrepancy just made me leary that something fishy might be up with this bike. The person selling it seems very trustworthy but they are the second owner.

Thank you both for your feedback on the engines as well. My Triumph Speed Triple was an inline 3 with 990cc and it was a smooth torquey beast! I loved to the roll the throttle on it and just hang on! My understanding is that the Rotax 998 V-Twin is a bulletproof great engine as well. I think either engine would serve me well so it basically comes down to the best bike I can find for the money right now. The one I have my sights on pictured above is the best one so far in my search.

I'd like to research here on the forum opinions regarding the SM tranny versus the SE. However, I'm afraid if I go down that rabbit hole, I may never make it back out. Lol.

Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

RE: Color---The 2011 Silver color was called Magnesium. A darker looking silver color. When in the sun...it would almost appear brownish grey to me.

We had a 2011 Magnesium RT. I am sure that the RS was indeed the same color. BRP did not have any silver varients offered for sale in any one year. The name magnesium was just that years version of silver.

We just bought a pair of Magnesium color helmets...they look silver to me.

There are two different pictures showing the 2011 below.

A link to one of my albums showing several pictures of the 2011 Magnesium silver. Hint: once you get to the pictures, click on one and they will increase in size. Then you can move from one to the other by clicking on "next."

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=1990
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-18-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post

I agree that the 998 is very capable. I had the 990 in my 2012 RSS, and it was a great machine. I plan on possibly getting another RSS just because I loved the way that it sounded and how it rode. But I have also owned a 2014 RT and a 2016 F3T with the 1330. I thought my RSS was definitely faster than the other 2. Until I got a chance to run against a friend on his 2015 RSS. I had to brake in order to stay off him on the straights. He is a very aggressive rider, and the RSS seems faster, but in reality, the F3 series bikes are a bit faster. But I still like the sound better of the V Twin, and it is a dependable bike that should give you years of service.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

1330 has the legs, you aren't touching my 998 in the quarter mile, and yes, I proved it....tuned....I helped him set it up too, the 998 is quicker off the line, the 1330 has longer legs....I am not an idiot, there is no replacement for displacement...period....but off the line, nope, ain't happening.....and I have said it before and I will say it again, now why would I want a 2020 RT if I did not see a practical purpose for one or respect it power? But in my real world, the action happens stranger to stranger on a saturday night, light to light is where it counts here...to tour, its a 1330, hands down.....

doesn't matter anyway.....I think I have the beer bug, we have been ordered in, I have CHF (recovered), my wife is on O2....my wife has a bad cough....fml.....

Spyder Garage

In fact I will state, I do not think you should bag a Ryker either, its a sportster, ride it as one....

Spyder Garage

If you tour, RT...hands down, or the F3....

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the feedback! I'm going to look at the 2011 for sale tomorrow. I hope it is the same color and shade as your 2011 Magnesium RT. Hope to be sending pics from it's new home shortly. Thanks again to all!

Spyder Garage

RS 2011 in Magnesium is by far best Spyder ever made...though I could be slightly bias;-)

Had mine since new, its still going strong and I don't treat it nicely.
    Mt Somers.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the feedback! I'm going to look at the 2011 for sale tomorrow. I hope it is the same color and shade as your 2011 Magnesium RT. Hope to be sending pics from it's new home shortly. Thanks again to all!
    I say, go for it! I loved my 2012 RSS. It was really a hoot to ride. My only fault was that it did seem to give off excessive heat compared to my other 2 spyders. If the wife would allow it, I would add another RSS to my stable now. A guy in my group has a low milage 2015 that he was going to sell. I am still eyeing it.
    BTW, here is one my vote for the spyder (any type) over the ryker. The ryker has it's place, but just not with me, it is a little too small.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all for the input. As a Clemson Tiger, I love that orange and black color combo pictured above on the RSS. I made the trip on Thursday and came home with a sweet little 2011 RS and it IS the proper Magnesium color that you all have described for me. I had fears of a crash and repaint because the pics didn't seem to match the brochure...but it's all original with only 15,500 miles. It seems to have been well-cared for. Starter motor has been replaced. Front tires are probably due for a replacement. I'm thrilled and feel like I got a great deal at $5500 from a very nice lady who wanted it to go to a good home and get ridden. Now the fun begins. Looking forward to some seat time here in the mountains to get used to it. It is certainly a transition from two wheels but I know I'm going to love it. My 5-year old already does. Lol.
    IMG_4153.jpg

Spyder Garage

Starter motor has been replaced.
    CORRECTION: It was not the starter that was replaced 300 miles ago, it was the DPS (Dynamic Power Steering Unit that was replaced because of the torque sensor. $1K for the part!?!? Holy Schnikes! I hope the new one lasts more than 15k miles. They put in a new battery and did an oil change as well.

Spyder Garage

Is it an SE or an SM? I personally prefer the SE... I can shift a standard manual tranny, but why? The paddle shifter Sequential Electronic tranny will up-shift just as fast as you can bump the paddle and it's a rocket ship IMHO!

For a sport trike, the 998 V-Twin is the way to go... for the heavier Touring trikes, they were under-torqued with the 998 V-Twin engines so they really needed the larger cc 3-cylinder SE/M6 engine tranny combo IMHO. But I'm a sport rider, I've no interest in really long trips and the 998 V-Twin is just easy to maintain.

So anyways, Welcome to the club Bro!

ps. Replace the factory OEM air filter with a K&N filter just as soon as you can, that OEM paper filter is extremely restrictive... the difference is VERY noticeable! It's like the very 1st thing you should upgrade, they aren't that expensive and it doesn't take too long to do.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Hey Michael - Thank you for the response. It's an SE and I was skeptical at first because I love shifting manuals on any kind of vehicle. But you are correct, the SE5 is sweet! Thanks for the advice on the air filter. I will certainly do that. I have to dig into this unit and see what mods (if any) the original owner did. The second owner rode it very little and did not do any mods but did have it serviced so i feel good about the condition it's in. I'll be searching here a lot for recommended mods and maintenance advice. Hopefully I'll learn some things that can be based along to other newbies like you kind folks have done for me. Thanks again! - Poe
    2011 Spyder RS SE5 Magnesium
    Past Bikes: '89 Suzuki SP200; 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple

Spyder Garage

Hey, Poe. I've got a 2012 RSS SE5 in the same color which I know is the original color. Looks like yours except that my frunk cover and fenders are black. I've got a K&N, TwoBrothers muffler and Power Commander. Goes like a bat out of h*** and sounds great too! Welcome to the tribe!

spyder.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You have an RSS, Phily.... hence the blacked-out Frunk lid fenders and black wheels too. :-)

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Michael, I knew that--fat fingers! Thanks. Corrected.

Spyder Garage

Thanks PhilY - I really like the look of the RSS. I'm contemplating doing something similar to mine...just way too much of the same color (silver, magnesium, whatever they want to call it) up front on mine. Thanks for your recommended mods. I have Ron's Anti-Sway Bar ordered and hopefully arriving soon. Will drop in a K&N soon as well. I am surprised at how much performance pipes are going for these days. Pipes and Power Commander will have to reside on the wish list for now. I'm loving riding this Spyder. Thanks again! - Poe
    2011 Spyder RS SE5 Magnesium
    Past Bikes: '89 Suzuki SP200; 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple

Spyder Garage

I've done it over time. I agree, PC and exhaust were fairly expensive. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi PhilY, I myself just joined the club in Feb., bought a 2013 RS and have just fell in luv with it ( my first cycle ever), the fun and the thrill... the one thing I have come to except is the high cost of the mod’s, but sense this has become stress relief & escape I find it well worth it... enjoy it & have some fun...........