Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 164
  1. #51
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    52
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    This may not be new kendall tires but I have the OEM kendall front tires on my 2018 spyder f3s and I have 16,000on the front tires running smooth and quiet

  2. #52
    Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Peter Aawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Australia; Sth Aust, Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    3,597
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr. Peter,
    One of the reasons I phrased my query as I did was my inability to get 4 PSI on the front tires at any time. At 14 PSI I only saw about 1.5 - 2 PSI increase. Below 14 PSI the sidewall began widening the tread footprint test, so I couldn't go lower. Hence the tire tread pyrometer method. I got 4 PSI on the drive tire at 18 PSI, and everything else was in the normal range, but I suspect the front tires are too lightly loaded to gain 4 PSI. My opinion only.
    H0gr1der, was that with the OE Kendas up front, or your replacement 'car' tires? If it was the Kendas, they are soo 'different' in construction/quality to anything else that you really don't want to even try..... so go by the Spyder's tire placard recommendations for the Kendas - you probably aren't going to be able to improve their mediocre behaviour or performance anyway, trying to do this is just like putting lipstick on a pig!

    Buuut, if it was the replacement tires, then your assumption that they are too lightly loaded to get the 4psi could well be correct, at least for how, when, & where you ride - it's generally pretty easy to get a 4psi increase here in Aust on our generally hotter roads & with our often hotter weather (even on 175/60R15 tires that really need to be worked harder to reach the same temps/pressures) but I didn't ever get 4psi when I was ryding in our snowfields. However, knowing that I wasn't getting the 4psi increase then meant that I KNEW my front tires were a little compromised due to them running too high a pressure, and I adjusted my ryding in that terrain/under those conditions to suit, especially when it came to cornering at the limits & braking hard!

    Running tire pressures that aren't reaching a 4psi increase means the pressures in them are too high for the load imposed upon them, which means your tires aren't going to get up to their optimum temps; therefore grip, ride, handling, braking, tire longevity, and even puncture resistance will be somewhat less than what it could be.... (probably still a fair bit better than the OE spec stuff tho!) There are a bunch of ways to work with this that you could take: you could drop your pressures further, altho like you, I probably wouldn't go much lower than you already have for road use; you could brake later, corner harder, ride more aggressively, IF you wish; or you could simply recognise that the tires you are running are probably not working at their absolute best & allow yourself a little bit more leeway to compensate! I am still firmly convinced that even at their worst, there just aren't too many 'proper' car tires out there that will limit your Spyder/Spyder ryding as much as the OE Spec Kendas do, and even if you don't get the best milage/tire life from your replacements, there's still a better than just 'very good' chance they'll last longer & work better for you doing it than the Kendas ever did!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-22-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd

  3. #53
    Very Active Member Ex-Rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Marion, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,288
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I saw today on Facebook that Lamonster Garage has endorsed these tires and are selling them. Maybe he has more information on the tires.

  4. #54
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,675
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    H0gr1der, was that with the OE Kendas up front, or your replacement 'car' tires? If it was the Kendas, they are soo 'different' in construction/quality to anything else that you really don't want to even try..... so go by the Spyder's tire placard recommendations for the Kendas - you probably aren't going to be able to improve their mediocre behaviour or performance anyway, trying to do this is just like putting lipstick on a pig!

    Buuut, if it was the replacement tires, then your assumption that they are too lightly loaded to get the 4psi could well be correct, at least for how, when, & where you ride - it's generally pretty easy to get a 4psi increase here in Aust on our generally hotter roads & with our often hotter weather (even on 175/60R15 tires that really need to be worked harder to reach the same temps/pressures) but I didn't ever get 4psi when I was ryding in our snowfields. However, knowing that I wasn't getting the 4psi increase then meant that I KNEW my front tires were a little compromised due to them running too high a pressure, and I adjusted my ryding in that terrain/under those conditions to suit, especially when it came to cornering at the limits & braking hard!

    Running tire pressures that aren't reaching a 4psi increase means the pressures in them are too high for the load imposed upon them, which means your tires aren't going to get up to their optimum temps; therefore grip, ride, handling, braking, tire longevity, and even puncture resistance will be somewhat less than what it could be.... (probably still a fair bit better than the OE spec stuff tho!) There are a bunch of ways to work with this that you could take: you could drop your pressures further, altho like you, I probably wouldn't go much lower than you already have for road use; you could brake later, corner harder, ride more aggressively, IF you wish; or you could simply recognise that the tires you are running are probably not working at their absolute best & allow yourself a little bit more leeway to compensate! I am still firmly convinced that even at their worst, there just aren't too many 'proper' car tires out there that will limit your Spyder/Spyder ryding as much as the OE Spec Kendas do, and even if you don't get the best milage/tire life from your replacements, there's still a better than just 'very good' chance they'll last longer & work better for you doing it than the Kendas ever did!
    Peter, He bought the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire that I have been recommending …..and He loves them …. Mike

  5. #55
    Very Active Member ThreeWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Danbury Connecticut
    Posts
    2,713
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktd1911 View Post
    This may not be new kendall tires but I have the OEM kendall front tires on my 2018 spyder f3s and I have 16,000on the front tires running smooth and quiet
    The OEM tires run pretty well in the front if the alignment is set up properly.
    The main issue in the front is the BUILD QUALITY of the tire. They'll grip pretty well, and wear good enough, but they're built so crappy that many of them will deteriorate ahead of their time.
    Slipped belts. Poor rubber adhesion.
    If you get a decent set of tires, with a good alignment, you can easily get 25,000 miles on a set of OEM front tires. Not great, but OK
    The rear is a tire of a different color. I was getting around 6 or 8 thousand miles on the OEM Kenda. Maybe one season ?? That's absurd.
    So now people are looking for better tires, Kumho, or Continental, etc.
    I[m running Kumho Solus KH16 Front Tires 175/55/15 and Cooper Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring rear 215/60/15
    Truthfully, I've got less than 2000 miles on these. I'll have them transferred to my 2020 Spyder when it comes in next month. In 8°F weather..............
    My Gas Tank Is Full; My Bladder Is Empty
    Time To Motor On
    IBA #47122

  6. #56
    Active Member HankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Huntsville Alabama
    Posts
    281
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I saw today on Facebook that Lamonster Garage has endorsed these tires and are selling them. Maybe he has more information on the tires.
    That's awesome, thanks so much for the info! I looked up the Lamonster Facebook post and since it says they are also installing them, I'll call the techs there and ask them about inflation pressure. Lamonster folks are always VERY helpful with phone inquiries. I feel better now

  7. #57
    Very Active Member Wildrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    921
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I kinda doubt it. I do remember that the sidewall on my Kenda Kanine says "For Motorcycle Use Only". My dealer asked if that was on there and I said yes. He said, "OK, then I can install it". All the dealers in this neck of the woods won't substitute car tires on the Spyder.
    If that Kenda tire is made for the Can Am Spyder why would any dealer refuse to mount it ??

  8. #58
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Hunter Valley NSW Australia
    Posts
    224
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have just ditched my Kenda's with one-third of the tread to go, and fitted two Nankang AS1's to the front.

    Two things I've noticed on my RTL
    • Way less vibration in the front, all is now nice and smooth
    • More confident braking in the wet (got to test that in the "Rain Bomb" we had last Saturday and a couple of Roos i
    • Better clearing the contact patch of water whereby you could see the dry mark on the road surface behind.
    • Not as soft a ride as the OEM Kenda's on the rough stuff
    • Aquaplaning was waaaaaay less than the Kenda's


    If the Kanine can produce the same outcome, I'm in regardless of origin, but having experienced Kenda on Quads, Dirt bikes, Wheelbarrows and my trusty Pushbike, I think there might be two chances they get it right - and buckleys is looking to be their best hope. I might fit one to the wheel barrow to see how it handles.

  9. #59
    Very Active Member Wildrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    921
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I kinda doubt it. I do remember that the sidewall on my Kenda Kanine says "For Motorcycle Use Only". My dealer asked if that was on there and I said yes. He said, "OK, then I can install it". All the dealers in this neck of the woods won't substitute car tires on the Spyder.
    If that Kenda tire is made for the Can Am Spyder why would any dealer refuse to mount it ??

  10. #60
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,675
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I have just ditched my Kenda's with one-third of the tread to go, and fitted two Nankang AS1's to the front.

    Two things I've noticed on my RTL
    • Way less vibration in the front, all is now nice and smooth
    • More confident braking in the wet (got to test that in the "Rain Bomb" we had last Saturday and a couple of Roos i
    • Better clearing the contact patch of water whereby you could see the dry mark on the road surface behind.
    • Not as soft a ride as the OEM Kenda's on the rough stuff
    • Aquaplaning was waaaaaay less than the Kenda's


    If the Kanine can produce the same outcome, I'm in regardless of origin, but having experienced Kenda on Quads, Dirt bikes, Wheelbarrows and my trusty Pushbike, I think there might be two chances they get it right - and buckleys is looking to be their best hope. I might fit one to the wheel barrow to see how it handles.
    " not as soft " ???? …. what psi are you using ???? ………….....Thanks ...Mike

  11. #61
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    6,851
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    These Kendas have done me just fine for 15 years!
    Attached Images Attached Images

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  12. #62
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Hunter Valley NSW Australia
    Posts
    224
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " not as soft " ???? …. what psi are you using ???? ………….....Thanks ...Mike
    22 for now, trying different pressures to see what feels happiest..

    I imagine the sidewallls and radial construction is a little heavier, but I dont mind the harsher ride at the moment.

  13. #63
    Active Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Keene, ON, Canada and/or Leesburg, FL
    Posts
    418
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Hmmmmm... Kenda Kanine, you say???..... Sounds rather like an old dog with a new name, but same bite.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside

  14. #64
    Very Active Member h0gr1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    696
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Just to throw this out there, actual sidewall data from the tires

    Rear
    Kenda OEM (Not canine) Made in China
    225/50R15- Load Rating 76H (892 lbs) @ 30 Lbs
    Tread 2 Ply Steel +1 Ply Polyester
    Sidewall 1 Ply Polyester

    Vredestein (I chose the V Rated one) Made in the Netherlands
    205/60R15-Load Rating 91V (1356lbs) @51 Lbs
    Tread 2 Ply Steel +1 Ply Polyester+ 1 Ply Polyamids
    Sidewall 1 Ply Polyester

    Front
    Kenda OEM (Not canine) Made in China
    165/55R15-Load Rating 55H (481lbs) @30 PSI
    Tread 2 Ply Steel 1 Ply Polyester
    Sidewall 1 Ply Polyester

    Vredestein
    175/55R15-Load Rating 77T (908lbs) @51 Lbs Made in the Netherlands
    Tread 2 Ply Steel 1 Ply Polyester
    Sidewall 1 Ply Polyester
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

  15. #65
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,675
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    22 for now, trying different pressures to see what feels happiest..

    I imagine the sidewallls and radial construction is a little heavier, but I dont mind the harsher ride at the moment.
    22 - interesting …. Myself and Peter generally use 16-17 front & 17-18 psi's rear ( for Auto tires -ONLY )…. so 22 is close, try a lower psi and see how that feels ….. Neither Peter nor I would ever suggest a PSI that would cause a problem …… good luck …. Mike

  16. #66
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Chillicothe, Oh.
    Posts
    578
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Kendas on my RT were terrible. Rear was shot in 7000 miles and the fronts could NOT be balanced. I bought a used Honda last spring that had Kendas on it and they were just plain dangerous on a twisty road. I wouldn't PUSH a bike with Kendas on it let alone ride one and I don't care who recommends them.

  17. #67
    Very Active Member KX5062's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    969
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    In my experiences Kenda makes a decent bicycle tire, and some decent off road motorcycle tires. However, their street motorcycle and trailer tires are iffy, and their car tires are not reliable at all. Since Spyders ride on what is essentially a car tire, there you have it in my book. In my research and readings the most likely reason the Spyder Kendas are rated as a 'motorcycle" tire is so they can skirt the federal testing and other associated regulations.
    2020 RTL SE6

    Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6



  18. #68
    Active Member HankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Huntsville Alabama
    Posts
    281
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I emailed Lamonster Garage and asked them the question about inflation pressure guidance for the rear Kanine (for some reason I couldn't get them on the phone). I'll post any info I get from them if/when they reply.

  19. #69
    Very Active Member Bfromla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bossier loUiSiAna
    Posts
    4,198
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Interesting how they make specific reference to "passenger car replacements" and being better than stock.

    "Greater mileage than stock, better handling than passenger car replacements."
    what I get from that is they purposely make the contract bound “stock set” low mileage.

    2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ &brake light strips,
    wide vue mirrors
    Lid lox
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP trailer hitch & 622 trailer (with its own list: Spyderpops Lighted Rear Bumpskid, LineX protection on sides, led trim lighting amber front& red rear, stand& tongue handle)THX Cruzr Joe!
    (pics in album)

  20. #70
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Hunter Valley NSW Australia
    Posts
    224
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Kendas on my RT were terrible. Rear was shot in 7000 miles and the fronts could NOT be balanced. I bought a used Honda last spring that had Kendas on it and they were just plain dangerous on a twisty road. I wouldn't PUSH a bike with Kendas on it let alone ride one and I don't care who recommends them.
    Hi NavyDad, Kenda's on a two wheeler - some people do like to live life on the edge. Could never understand those who would do this. Not hard at all to imagine you sending them to where they belong - the rubbish bin.

  21. #71
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Hunter Valley NSW Australia
    Posts
    224
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    22 - interesting …. Myself and Peter generally use 16-17 front & 17-18 psi's rear ( for Auto tires -ONLY )…. so 22 is close, try a lower psi and see how that feels ….. Neither Peter nor I would ever suggest a PSI that would cause a problem …… good luck …. Mike
    I haven't had much of a chance to do a trip 1 up to try other pressures. The Chief cook has been tagging along a lot lately so using the time to get a feel for two-up with the new rubber.

  22. #72
    Very Active Member Wildrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    921
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I have one in my garage, the rear tire. Kenda Kanine. Paid $96 including shipping from MotoSports.... waiting for the weather to warm up so I can have the dealer install. I guess I'll be the "test case". Still in the dark on what inflation pressure to use. I'll post the sidewall information from the tire when I get back in town. After I post the info, maybe someone can give me some recommendations on proper inflation, otherwise I'm going with 28 psi.
    Check the tire wear pattern after 1000 miles--it will indicate over or under pressure--provided the alignment is adequate.

  23. #73
    Very Active Member Wildrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    921
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Interesting how they make specific reference to "passenger car replacements" and being better than stock.

    "Greater mileage than stock, better handling than passenger car replacements."
    Safety First--then followed by handling & wear...

  24. #74
    Active Member HankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Huntsville Alabama
    Posts
    281
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I emailed Lamonster Garage and asked them the question about inflation pressure guidance for the rear Kanine (for some reason I couldn't get them on the phone). I'll post any info I get from them if/when they reply.
    Lamonster Garage emailed me back. Apparently they are running the Kanines at 28-30 psi for rear, and 18-20 for the front. Same as the OEM Kenda's. Just FYI.

  25. #75
    Very Active Member trikermutha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,401
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Well I bought the Kanine rear tire since I was due to change mine out anyway. Just got it delivered today.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •