Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
My 2008 GS SE5 had the GBPS go bad. It ran TERRIBLE for some reason. Not sure why. After I replaced it, it still ran awful and barely made it to the shop for the BUDS reset - bucked and snorted the 10 miles to get there. They charged me $40. Driving away from the dealer ran great, after a few stops & starts (key off/on) ran like a champ. I assume nanny adjusts something based on the feedback, can't say. My old one was busted and easy to see what piece of garbage it is! It is just a potentiometer inside a plastic case, no real bearings.

One bit of advice - you have to pull the front pulley off to replace GBPS. I would strongly suggest you order a new front pulley & bolt - $130ish from cheapcycleparts.com. My pulley flew off into a field not long after doing all the work to replace the GBPS. I didn't pay attention to the brown dust on it - should be shiny black. The splines near the engine do go bad, and once they start it takes only about 100 miles or so (on my other 2008 GS!). That one "growled" when taking off or whenever the pulley under load accelerating. Pulley job on both GS's for me, save yourself a headache and replaced them IMHO!

Also good to check rear pads & tire when you have it up

Just my two cents!
Steve

P.S. item #22:

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...hifting-system

Its time for a belt change too so I will definitely check those splines. Thanks for the reply.