Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Richmond, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    421
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Replacement Brake Pads for 2014 RT-Limited

    Looks like I will need to replace my brake pads soon. Any recommendations? Shall I go with OEM BRP brake pads or aftermarket
    ones?

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

  2. #2
    Very Active Member pegasus1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring City,Utah
    Posts
    3,104
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Go to the home page for this forum. Find BajaRon's Ad. Order a new set of EBC brake pads at the best price you will find. Stop in comfort and safety, and cheaper then OEM.

    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

    2012 RT L
    AMA
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    Venture Riders
    TOI

  3. #3
    Very Active Member RICZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    553
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    +1 and follow well the installation and break-in procedures.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,984
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Looks like I will need to replace my brake pads soon. Any recommendations? Shall I go with OEM BRP brake pads or aftermarket
    ones?

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Benggolf
    When you say " looks like ", what does that mean ….. Even Ron will tell you most people replace their Pads long before they are worn out ( ie. One mm ) …. My rear lasted 30,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) and my fronts 42,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) …… It's not that difficult to actually look at the material on the brake shoe to tell for sure …… Mike

  5. #5
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,620
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    When you say " looks like ", what does that mean ….. Even Ron will tell you most people replace their Pads long before they are worn out ( ie. One mm ) …. My rear lasted 30,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) and my fronts 42,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) …… It's not that difficult to actually look at the material on the brake shoe to tell for sure …… Mike
    True. Many do replace their pads prematurely. Though for different reasons. It isn't always due to lack of knowledge. If you need some help, let me know.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Blue Springs, Mo
    Posts
    28
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    SPYDER RYDERS KC Helped me change my brake pads still had wear to go but we wre going to Deadwood for 3rd time towing trailer this trip. Wanted to make sure we were safe. 23000 miles. Just want to say to DIY mechanics do the back brakes first! If you collapse the front first it will be a bear to get the back compressed. Our resident mechanics been there done that bought the t shirt. Lesson learned why you should join group. The friendships, information, lessons learned, $$pitfulls, all customs add ons, ETC. Teach a man to fish. We have been so blessed to know and run with the group. We are always ready to share what we learned. Loved SPYDER JAM 2019. Glad to see MOGANG, GREEN COUNTY, Out of staters, other Ryders. Safe trails.

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Richmond, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    421
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Blueknight911, we happen to change the OEM rear tire (21,000 km.) over the weekend and got the chance to look at the rear brake pads.
    They have about 2.0 mm thickness left on each side of the brake pads.

    Would it be a good idea to replace all the brake pads (front & rear) at this time? Thanks.

    Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Richmond, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    421
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Thank you, BajaRon. I just sent you a private message.

    Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Richmond, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    421
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True. Many do replace their pads prematurely. Though for different reasons. It isn't always due to lack of knowledge. If you need some help, let me know.

    Thank you, BajaRon. I just sent you a private message.

    Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

  10. #10
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,984
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Blueknight911, we happen to change the OEM rear tire (21,000 km.) over the weekend and got the chance to look at the rear brake pads.
    They have about 2.0 mm thickness left on each side of the brake pads.

    Would it be a good idea to replace all the brake pads (front & rear) at this time? Thanks.

    Benggolf
    Down here we use miles not km's. ( so my rear 30,000 might be 35,000km. +/- ) and as someone above mentioned the rear usually wears sooner than the fronts …. it's your call, but I think you have a safe 10,000km left …...good luck …. Mike

  11. #11
    SpyderLovers Sponsor BajaRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    10,620
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
    SPYDER RYDERS KC Helped me change my brake pads still had wear to go but we wre going to Deadwood for 3rd time towing trailer this trip. Wanted to make sure we were safe. 23000 miles. Just want to say to DIY mechanics do the back brakes first! If you collapse the front first it will be a bear to get the back compressed. Our resident mechanics been there done that bought the t shirt. Lesson learned why you should join group. The friendships, information, lessons learned, $$pitfulls, all customs add ons, ETC. Teach a man to fish. We have been so blessed to know and run with the group. We are always ready to share what we learned. Loved SPYDER JAM 2019. Glad to see MOGANG, GREEN COUNTY, Out of staters, other Ryders. Safe trails.
    What year and model Spyder do you have?
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •