Spyder Garage

Default Metal Clunk sound when hitting a hole with rear wheel

Hi,

with my F3T 2016, Since a few weeks, I can hear a strange metal clunk sound when hitting a big hole with the rear wheel.

It just feels like if something is loose and 2 metal pieces hits together making that kind of metal sound.

I only hear it when hitting something that can make the rear suspension retract probably completely.

After a quick check, I haven't seen anything loose on the Spyder.

Anybody ever experienced something like this ?

What can it be ?

Thanks !
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Is there air in the rear air spring? 40 to 50 psi?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

If you don't think you are bottoming out, it could be your rear shock mount bolts are loose/bent or that a rubber grommet on your shock end is split or worn out. A number of possibilities here.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The original rear shock on my 2013 RT broke at about 40,000km - the shaft completely parted company with the upper eye where they were supposedly 'welded' together. On checking, it was pretty obvious that the weld that 'broke' had never been even 1/4 complete, and there was actually only quite a tiny sliver of welded metal keeping the whole thing together.... and I suspect that if my hearing had been anywhere near 'adequate' without hearing aids, I may well have heard the metal spring retention plates & the shaft/eye faces etc hitting together for quite some time before what little weld there was finally gave up!

So even if you think it's the swing arm bushes, a loose axle or wheel hub, or anything else at all, I'd still suggest you remove the rear shock & spring assy entirely & check it & its operation, bushes, retention plates, etc very very carefully!
    2013 RT Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Is there air in the rear air spring? 40 to 50 psi?
    As I ride 90% of the time with my wife, it is at 55-60psi.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The original rear shock on my 2013 RT broke at about 40,000km - the shaft completely parted company with the upper eye where they were supposedly 'welded' together. On checking, it was pretty obvious that the weld that 'broke' had never been even 1/4 complete, and there was actually only quite a tiny sliver of welded metal keeping the whole thing together.... and I suspect that if my hearing had been anywhere near 'adequate' without hearing aids, I may well have heard the metal spring retention plates & the shaft/eye faces etc hitting together for quite some time before what little weld there was finally gave up!

So even if you think it's the swing arm bushes, a loose axle or wheel hub, or anything else at all, I'd still suggest you remove the rear shock & spring assy entirely & check it & its operation, bushes, retention plates, etc very very carefully!
    That is my next thing to do. Trying to look at the rear shock to see how it is.

On normal riding, when the shock extend and retract normally (without going at any of its full limits), no sound at all. It's only when it goes all the way down.

Spyder Garage

On my RTS (2011) if mine bottoms out it will bang. I had my rear cargo module off Sunday and my shock is ok. Air bag had only 16 lbs of air and I was ryding double. 99% of the bumps mine does not bang.
    RTS 2011 SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    That is my next thing to do. Trying to look at the rear shock to see how it is.

On normal riding, when the shock extend and retract normally (without going at any of its full limits), no sound at all. It's only when it goes all the way down.
    If you are bottoming out, you will get an unmistakable jarring action with the clunk. Any suspension will do the same, whether or not there is something mechanical wrong.

Spyder Garage

After a few more runs on Bumps and Holes, I finally have the impression that the clunk is when the shock is going at fully extend and not compressed.

I'll try to jack the spyder to have the rear wheel not touching the ground. Maybe I'll see if there's something that can be hit and making that noise.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

It could be the shock is not fuctioning properly and allowing the fluid flow to pass to quickly making the shock shaft to hit the end of it's travel. If all else have the shock tested of just replace it with a better one....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    It could be the shock is not fuctioning properly and allowing the fluid flow to pass to quickly making the shock shaft to hit the end of it's travel. If all else have the shock tested of just replace it with a better one....
    True. Could simply be a failed shock. Blown dampening valving, for example. You'll probably have to remove the coil spring to check this. If it's really bad it should be obvious.

Spyder Garage

I have heard/felt this when hitting bumps sometimes, It sounds like the clutch going down a gear and it maybe gearing down because of the impact. I have had 3 Spyders and have experience it on all 3. Not often but it has happened.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Not often but it has happened.
    Mine does it too. Not often and not loud.
    I was about ready to inspect the trunk looking for something loose.

I ride very conservatively so it is a little odd to have it happen at all.