Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Air Filter

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    n.c.
    Posts
    50
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Air Filter

    OK......Got 30000 miles on my 2014 ST and think its about time to change the air filter! The guy at the dealership said he would not worry with it if I did not ride on dirt roads or in the rain.Which ive never done....... BUT I am thinkin he might be wrong. SO My question is......Is it a big deal? Any video out there about it on this model? Thanks for any advice and tips on this little chore. Looks like a machine would be made in a way that one could change air filters easy?

  2. #2
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    30,757
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Depends...

    Your choice as they say your good to go many more miles. I have always prefered the K&N washable oil soaked filters which can go longer but there are other good filters out there. Many use the Wix. Not a bad job to change it and do find better performance with the better air filters....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  3. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,492
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have always prefered the K&N washable oil soaked filters which can go longer
    High flow filters let more air flow through......along with more dirt.
    This is not a theory but a proven fact.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,849
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have used the K&N brand in so many veh's I can't remember how many …… if they were REALLY CRAPPY I think the company would have gone out of business many decades ago …… jmho ….. Mike

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Bfromla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bossier loUiSiAna
    Posts
    3,999
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    FYI just got mine changed at 50k miles , had got to where it was stalling too often, changed it & plugs. Thought about the KN , went oem first one lasted long enough, will consider later when doing other services. Pics here:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...49#post1419149
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-10-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Pic link

    2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ &brake light strips,
    wide vue mirrors
    Lid lox
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Pakitrack
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP trailer hitch & 622 trailer (with its own list: Spyderpops Lighted Rear Bumpskid, LineX protection on sides, led trim lighting amber front& red rear, stand& tongue handle)THX Cruzr Joe!
    (pics in album)

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Oz
    Posts
    535
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have used the K&N brand in so many veh's I can't remember how many …… if they were REALLY CRAPPY I think the company would have gone out of business many decades ago …… jmho ….. Mike
    Easy Rider's statement is correct. One would think that yours would be too but look at how many Spyders keep selling just because folks want one, or two or even three.
    The best substitute for brains is....................what?

  7. #7
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,849
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Easy Rider's statement is correct. One would think that yours would be too but look at how many Spyders keep selling just because folks want one, or two or even three.
    Double ……… my comment was about the …..K&N filters ………….Mike

  8. #8
    Very Active Member Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Oz
    Posts
    535
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    ........and mine was about Spyder reliability, using you logic.
    The best substitute for brains is....................what?

  9. #9
    Very Active Member JayBros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    3,461
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Look on pg 108 of your operator's guide where it calls for the air filter to be changed at 14,000 miles or two years whichever comes first. Make your decision.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    ******************************
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

  10. #10
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    30,757
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    High flow filters let more air flow through......along with more dirt.
    This is not a theory but a proven fact.
    Interesting...and may be fact somewhere and referring to the dry paper filters. Must be the reason that K&N oil soaks theirs. They have a great reputation in all areas and used by many and doing well. Must mean they work well and have for me in all my vehicles with none ever suffering damage or wear for poor filtration. I only tell folks what I use and how it works for me to help them make a decision. Their choice... Their vehicle
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  11. #11
    Very Active Member Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Oz
    Posts
    535
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Rarely do folks keep vehicles fitted with K&N air filters long enough for any symptoms of dusting to become evident as it's a long term, cumulative effect. But they certainly let more air thru and more of whatever's in it. Performance seekers aren't seeking longevity, so that's ok - their choice, their vehicle as you say.
    The best substitute for brains is....................what?

  12. #12
    Active Member Richardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Montreal north shore, QC
    Posts
    200
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default ....Facts...... here we go....

    435,000 km on a 2 liter mitsubishi eclipse with a k&n filter. Still running as new. 285,000 km on a 5.9 liter Cimmins diesel, towing 13,000 lbs for 80% of the time, still running hard.... good enough for you..... ?



    Richard

    * 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

    Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

    P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    3 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires....
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

  13. #13
    Very Active Member Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Oz
    Posts
    535
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    No. The evidence will be inside the inlet manifold when examined and in the cylinders. Your experience is a common one. As I say, if it makes you feel good, do it. But there's no hiding the dust. As Easy Rider say: it's a proven fact.
    The best substitute for brains is....................what?

  14. #14
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,492
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Must mean they work well and have for me in all my vehicles with none ever suffering damage or wear for poor filtration.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that they work "well" at all.
    It means that you have to do a detailed inspection of the throat and manifold down stream from the filter after a lot of miles to find the difference.
    Most people won't do that.
    And most people won't keep an engine long enough to see any operational difference.
    That doesn't mean that the difference is not there.

  15. #15
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    2,070
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    A K&N filter on every vehical I own and has been that way for years and years. ( except the hopped up snowblowers ) I have inspected the inlet tracts/ manifolds( where I could without removal ) -------- and they are clean and dust free. PCV system does dump some oil in but in front of that inlet it's clean. I do live in a dusty state but NO off road ryding.

    I have ordered a K&N air filter ( these 2 guys used to own a motorcycle shop is So Cal and sold it to Malcolm Smith --- yes that Malcolm Smith) for the

    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months.ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

  16. #16
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    30,757
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Not my intension...

    Did not mean to turn the OP thread into a "Defend K&N " , which in my opinion does not need defending, thread but do help the OP out by suggesting alternatives or suggest he use the OEM filter which is recommended by BRP. ;
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    n.c.
    Posts
    50
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    WOW! LOL This is not what I expected. OK......How dirty were the ones you guys changed/cleaned? And at how many miles? And did you drive in the rain or on dirt roads? My tec. guy at the dealership said hes never opened one up that really needed replacing.He explained that it was closed up very very tight in there. He knows how clean my machine is and said it would be fine for another 20000 miles if I dont drive in the rain or on dirt roads.Said it was a real pain in the arse to do. I was hopein someone had figured out an easy way to do it? Anyway......TY All for the input! Very entertaining.

  18. #18
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    2,070
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Yes TONYO,

    This site can be so entertaining that my ignore list exists, members have been dismissed or put in the cornor for a while. This site is well run and moderated but some still push it a bit. We also great at changing the subject.

    BTW: Welcome to the site, NC has some GREAT roads. Route 129 , just one of many.

    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months.ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Hello....so aside from the K&N debate, did anyone answer the original question on HOW TO? I DO ride on dirt roads and in the rain (not by choice, mind you, living in Oklahoma/Texas, you never know about either the weather or road conditions at any given time). I have almost 18K on my sweetie and have noticed a bit of heat on the left side. She is sitting in the drive with all the front tupperware off...and if what I'm looking at is correct, it's a major undertaking....

  20. #20
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    n.c.
    Posts
    50
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    It was an awefull job! I had to open the airbox to replace my plugs n wires........The air filter was damn near like new. BUT Like I said b/4 no dirt roads or rain for me. If I were you id replace the plugs/wires while you got it "tore down". I feel sorry for ya! GOOD LUCK

  21. #21
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    n.c.
    Posts
    50
    Spyder Garage
    0

  22. #22
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Astoria, Oregon
    Posts
    159
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Rarely do folks keep vehicles fitted with K&N air filters long enough for any symptoms of dusting to become evident as it's a long term, cumulative effect. But they certainly let more air thru and more of whatever's in it. Performance seekers aren't seeking longevity, so that's ok - their choice, their vehicle as you say.
    I installed a K&N Air Filter on my ST1300 and put over 80,000 miles on it afterwards. No evidence of excessive wear, no oil smoke or use of oil. I'll buy another K&N!!!

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Astoria, Oregon
    Posts
    159
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I installed a K&N Air Filter while changing the oil. Made a trip to Salem 2-up yesterday. The RT-S seemed to have more power and response, and I got better mileage. No dyno facts to back it up, but that was my impression.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •