Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default How To Change and Balance Your Own Spyder Tires

    I came across this very informative Step By Step video and thought to add it here.
    2017 F3 Limited

  2. #2
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    The tools he used to do this are at this site
    https://www.revzilla.com/motion-pro?...s|409|25040070
    2017 F3 Limited

  3. #3
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    So many of us have problems finding a place that will do this and if you do you have to figure out how to get both your tire and Spyder there. I am ordering these tools to start changing and balancing my own.
    Total price with free shipping for everything is 170.97 plus the weights.
    2017 F3 Limited

  4. #4
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    12,990
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Mtc. tire changing

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    So many of us have problems finding a place that will do this and if you do you have to figure out how to get both your tire and Spyder there. I am ordering these tools to start changing and balancing my own.
    Total price with free shipping for everything is 170.97 plus the weights.
    A video that shows you how to change a MOTORCYCLE tire on a MOTORCYCLE wheel /rim may not be the best Video for you / us ...... The Spyder rims are CAR " J " type rims ........... so go back to U-tube and watch how it's done on a CAR tire ....... and those tools you are looking at can be had a lot less expensive and if they are..... CAR tire tools more useful ..........good luck ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-23-2018 at 04:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I dont think the procedure would be any different but I will find out soon enough the way I burn tires. I only have 1700 miles on my OEM rear and the center is already hit the raised indicator.
    2017 F3 Limited

  6. #6
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    It will also give me a chance to replace those stock valve stems with metal ones that are easier to get to. The front tires valve stems on the new spyders are so short you can barely get ahold of them much less put your FOBO on. FOBO also recommends metal valve stems.
    Last edited by AY4B; 03-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited

  7. #7
    Very Active Member Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Ms
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    It will also give me a chance to replace those stock valve stems with metal ones that are easier to get to. The front tires valve stems on the new spyders are so short you can barely get ahold of them much less put your FOBO on. FOBO also recommends metal valve stems.
    I have a manual tire changer and it's not as easy as he shows. When that tire has been on for a really long time sometimes it's a job to get it to break the bead. Would love to see him do a spyder rear tire with thoses tools. Can be done, but a battle.
    David

  8. #8
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I already ordered the tools. It did not look that difficult. What made it easier was he heated the rubber pretty good. On my ST , I did 2 changes. I removed and installed the rear wheel myself and took it to the dealer for them to mount the tire. All I can do is give it a go and Ill let you all know how it went.
    2017 F3 Limited

  9. #9
    Very Active Member Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Ms
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I already ordered the tools. It did not look that difficult. What made it easier was he heated the rubber pretty good. On my ST , I did 2 changes. I removed and installed the rear wheel myself and took it to the dealer for them to mount the tire. All I can do is give it a go and Ill let you all know how it went.
    You'll find little tricks here and there. Might take a good bit of blood, sweat, and tears. I use Armour All as a lube.
    David

  10. #10
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I found this video that also was helpful, This guy BTW makes some awsome video tutorials on Basecamp as well.
    2017 F3 Limited

  11. #11
    Very Active Member Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Ms
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I found this video that also was helpful, This guy BTW makes some awsome video tutorials on Basecamp as well.
    I use that same set up. I made me a Teflon block to use to brake the bead so not to mess up the rim. Also I have 3 Teflon blocks that mount on the pieces that holds the rim in place while removing the tire. I have a bar similar to his, but made by a different guy. I like his bar better.
    David

  12. #12
    Very Active Member oldguyinCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southwestern CT
    Posts
    3,056
    Spyder Garage
    2

    Default

    Actually, method 1 looked easier to me than using the Harbor Freight thing.
    "Champagne Dream"
    [SIZE=2]2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 w/Rivco Flag Holders, RAM Smartphone Mount, Magic Mirror Mounts, Guardian Bells, "Bad Boy" Air Horn, 12 Volt Power Outlet, Spyderpops Full View Turn Signals/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    Very Active Member Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Ms
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Actually, method 1 looked easier to me than using the Harbor Freight thing.
    method 1 does well on motorcycle tires and front tires of the spyder. The back tire is a different animal. But none of them is easy when everything is cold. I have changed about 30 tires with mine and like the guy says every tire is different.

    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 03-22-2018 at 10:02 PM.

  14. #14
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Here is one that will give you all a chuckle. Anyone here ever use gorilla tape to mount a tire?
    2017 F3 Limited

  15. #15
    Very Active Member Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Ms
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Here is one that will give you all a chuckle. Anyone here ever use gorilla tape to mount a tire?
    I have done it with smaller tires using tie wraps instead of tape. It does work on the small front tire of the sports bike.
    David

  16. #16
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,105
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    We tried a lot of various tools to change tires. Four letter words, damaged rims and general frustration with what should be a straightforward task led us to invest in the right tool for the job:

    20170730_105156.jpg

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

  17. #17
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,956
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I came across this very informative Step By Step video and thought to add it here.
    I don't agree with his balancing, reminds me too much of bubble balancers in the '70's which were very inaccurate.

  18. #18
    Very Active Member Warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Ms
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We tried a lot of various tools to change tires. Four letter words, damaged rims and general frustration with what should be a straightforward task led us to invest in the right tool for the job:

    20170730_105156.jpg
    Would love to have one of them. Just don't change as many tires now. Would have been nice. Getting ready to change out my back tire in a couple months. Use to enjoy it. No fun anymore. Seems like too much work.
    David

  19. #19
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I have been to JCthorne's shop and he has top end everything. Very impressive shop and he is very knowledgeable about everything pertaining to Spyders. I just wish someone like him lived closer to me.
    2017 F3 Limited

  20. #20
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I don't agree with his balancing, reminds me too much of bubble balancers in the '70's which were very inaccurate.
    Just about every DIY video I have seen use a variation of that same method. Its looks to me like a poor mans Spin balance. A bubble balance is done horizontally on a center point.
    2017 F3 Limited

  21. #21
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,956
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Just about every DIY video I have seen use a variation of that same method. Its looks to me like a poor mans Spin balance. A bubble balance is done horizontally on a center point.
    Yes you are right but my point being .... not accurate or at least not accurate enough for me.

  22. #22
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Yes you are right but my point being .... not accurate or at least not accurate enough for me.
    You can always get one of those balancing kits from Lamonster garage.
    2017 F3 Limited

  23. #23
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,956
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    You can always get one of those balancing kits from Lamonster garage.
    yes but they only work on a not on a motorcycle and me i will still road force my .

  24. #24
    Active Member GearHd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    331
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I don't agree with his balancing, reminds me too much of bubble balancers in the '70's which were very inaccurate.
    That guys method is extremely accurate. I have access to a Marc Parnes balancer similar to the one in video and a computer spin balancer, balance on the Marc Parnes balancer, then put it on the computer balancer and it comes up .000 every time.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

  25. #25
    Very Active Member AY4B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greenville Tx
    Posts
    2,273
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I ordered those tools yesterday and got them today already. Wow that is a record for free shipping!
    2017 F3 Limited

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •