Spyder Garage

Default F3 Sport Mode by Bosch

February 14, 2017
    Bosch Engineering Group delights the customer, creates Sport Mode

Engineers used spare time to research, develop customer solution
    Working doesn’t have to feel like a chore when you’re passionate about what you do. That’s why engineers from Bosch Engineering Group (BEG) decided to go above and beyond, using their spare time to come up with product improvement concepts for Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP). Chris Baker, engineering supervisor for BEG in Farmington Hills, Michigan, believes it’s Bosch’s customer-oriented, innovative culture that contributed to the engineers’ inclination to go above and beyond on this project.

“Being surrounded by associates who are full of passion can be contagious,” said Baker. “In our facility, we have many dedicated associates, and it’s exciting to see firsthand what that passion produces for our customers.”

Searching for solutions
    After a BEG engineer overheard BRP customers discussing a need to make BRP’s three-wheeled Spyder “cooler,” a group of engineers decided to develop a solution to pitch to BEG management. Understanding the unique engineering challenges associated with three-wheeled vehicles, the engineers set out to explore solutions that would make the Spyder more fun to drive without compromising safety.

Thorough research led the engineers to the concept of incorporating a Sport Mode functionality to the vehicle, a solution that would make drifting easier. The concept was intended to make the vehicle more fun to drive, giving the operator more freedom to maneuver the vehicle quickly and safely.

After the group of engineers pitched the idea to their management for innovation budget approval, BEG leadership decided to pursue the project. By developing a solution that would improve the maneuverability of the vehicle, making it a higher-performance machine, BEG associates knew they had a solution that would excite the customer.

Delighting the customer
    After lots of hard work and dedication to find a fun, safe solution, Derek Cleasby, BEG director of engineering, and the team put the first prototype to test. Experimenting with the new Sport Mode was so much fun that they even invited the customer to the facility to try it out. Completely surprised that BEG engineers had even been working on a solution, BRP participants were delighted by the new functionality that made it possible to spin the back wheel and slide the vehicle. A solution that could deliver fun, high-performance and safety was just what BRP was looking for to appeal to a younger audience.

“The response from the customer was overwhelmingly positive,” said Cleasby. “Bosch Engineering Group engineers prove time and again that they have a keen understanding of customer needs and act as passionate, strategic partners to help deliver results.”

Incorporating the solution
    The first vehicle incorporating BRP Sport Mode, the 2017 Can-AM Spyder F3-S, was released in July 2016. And, as it turns out, safety doesn’t have to be the enemy of performance. The Sport Mode function turns off traction control to optimize the Vehicle Stability System and allow for controlled spinning of the solitary rear wheel, making the vehicle perfect for burnouts and drifting. See the Can-AM Spyder F3-S .

“We are thrilled to know that by taking initiative to delight the customer, this extraordinary group of engineers was able to develop a solution that both exceeded expectations and could be implemented in products for the customer to improve user experience,” said Cleasby.

Bosch Engineering Group associates prepare to take the Sport Mode feature on the road.

Spyder Garage

So how long do I have until I can put this chip in my 2015 RT ??????

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Awesome job, engineers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Dave!

I'm surprised that it took them so long to release this to the Press... We've known about Sport Mode for quite a while now.

But it's nice to see what they have to say about it...

"The first vehicle incorporating BRP Sport Mode, the 2017 Can-AM Spyder F3-S, was released in July 2016. And, as it turns out, safety doesn’t have to be the enemy of performance."

Which one gets it next?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This is great. But timeframe for release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I'm betting they will not allow it to be flashed to 2015 and 2016 models. I'm not sure but the assumption there is that the cluster on the 2015/2016 do not have the sport mode indicator light which any BRP lawyer will tell you should be required.

Can it be done? Yes it can. We know it can at least be done at the BRP factory. How do we know this? The 2017 pre-orders/builds that were delivered in summer to select dealers that ponied up for the inventory were built from BRP 2016 "Yard Models". Yard models are crates of F3 chassis that sit in Valcourt awaiting full build out with colored panels. These get VIN's at time of final assembly/crating before they are shipped to dealers.

I took delivery of my 2017 F3-S just after the 2016 dealer conference.

Here is my current take on sport mode. Big deal. I can spin the rear tire and get sideways a plenty without sport mode activated. Sport mode allows you a bit more steering angle so you can have a bit more fun, but the value of that is probably only in the cost of a rear tire. I've played with sport mode a few times now and I'm glad I didn't buy the 2017 just for sport mode.

Now... I will be trying sport mode in the twisties instead of just playing around town with it (I don't live near twisties). I would tend to think that the nanny shines in the twisties on the F3 and sport mode might actually be detrimental but I intend to run the Devil's Whip several times with it on or off to see if it matters or not in that scenario. I went from a highly modded and tuned 2008 GS to the 2017 F3 and the nanny on the F3 was already relaxed in contrast to the GS so that was a huge improvement in the twisties.

I'm glad they offered it, but at this point it is not something that should define whether you save money buying a left over 2016 or get sport mode in a 2017. The reason I went with the 2017 was that I was having a hell of a time finding an F3/F3-S in manual.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    This is great. But timeframe for release.
    It's already included with the 2017 F3 and F3-S
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default All we can do......

and hope....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black