PDA

View Full Version : New take on securing side panels.

JSRT
06-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Last fall on a trip from Pa. to Tennessee, we learned a hard lesson when I watched my Brother-in-law’s side panel go skipping across 3 lanes of traffic to it’s ultimate demise. We promptly pulled out the Gorilla tape and secured our remaining panels. Over the winter, I studied how best to prevent losing any more panels. I know others have posted their approach to securing the panels so I wanted to share mine. So long as the top hook is intact on the panel, I believe this is a very discreet method of preventing lost or damaged panels.

After carefully measuring and marking the center point of the push-pin located under the side panel, I drilled a 1/4” hole in the side panel. Remove the push pin. Using a Dremel style tool, I cut a slot in the plastic frame to allow the clip to slide into the frame. You may need to squeeze the clip a little tighter before inserting into the frame. After drilling 1/8” holes in the frame, pop rivets secure the clip. Insert a 19mm D-zus fastener through the hole in the panel and slip a small O-ring on the D-zus from the inside to prevent the fastener from falling out when you remove the panel. Re-install the panel being sure to hook the top of the panel correctly. A slight push along with a 1/4 turn on the D-Zeus fastener will secure the panel.

rmag
06-21-2020, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tip and excellent instructions. I see this project in my future. Looks great.

Rich

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-21-2020, 10:55 AM
I did something similar a few years back ( no pics :gaah:) .... but mine was more complicated .... so I wish I had done it your way .... nice DIY ..... But that upper clip must be used correctly ..... PS I glued my rubber grommets on the frame supports, I could remove if needed just a bit of work ..... Mike :thumbup:

RICZ
06-21-2020, 11:03 AM
How thoughtfully clever! I love meeting challenges like that and coming up with a better solution than the manufacturer did.

SpyderAnn01
06-21-2020, 02:57 PM
Nice, but the best and cheapest way to secure them is to properly install them.

trikermutha
06-21-2020, 07:02 PM
:agree: Never lost mine yet and its been 6 years now.

JSRT
06-21-2020, 08:03 PM
Several years, many miles - we never lost one either.........till that day!

Peter Aawen
06-21-2020, 09:33 PM
Great job JSRT! :ohyea: :2thumbs:

I did pretty much the same thing on my 2013 RT some years back after the bloody incompetent (& since closed) dealer stuffed the little placcy hook bits on both panels up & I nearly lost them a couple of times (just saved by quick reflexes! :rolleyes: ) only I replaced the little placcy hook on the top/rear of the panels with the D-Zus. Only had to drill thru both the inner & outer plastic panels & then push the D-Zus & receiver into their appropriate spots. Looks like a Factory fitting, and they've been working beautifully ever since! :thumbup:

pegasus1300
06-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Both my hooks are gone,one before I bought it and one since by a dealer. If I knew which I would ask for a new panel but I don't. I keep a close eye on my panels and no problems in 5 years,but I can see Dzus fastners in my future.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2020, 10:30 AM
Nice, but the best and cheapest way to secure them is to properly install them.

Ann in a perfect world NOTHING ever goes awry ..... but we live in a less than perfect world ( at least I do ) ..... many, many folks don't use a safety tether on their Mirror Magnet system, because they've been told the system WON'T fail ..... and then someone hits a serious pothole or RR trk and it comes off, $250.00 later they use the tether ...... just my thoughts .... good luck .... PS, I try to keep in mind the info I post here, I would hate to think something I said caused a " Newbie " to have a problem .... Mike :thumbup:

nightcruiser
06-22-2020, 03:12 PM
quicker and easier to just put a hole through the top of the panels into the panel behind it and use a jacknut. I lost two panels before,, never again, $300 a pop is too much. I'll sell the spyder if I lose another one.

volksbugusa
02-22-2021, 05:21 AM
Hello Peter. I want to follow your lead on this project. Do you remember the length of the pin that you purchased ? Or maybe you might have the where to order and the part numbers...Thank you Matt

ThreeWheels
02-22-2021, 06:31 AM
Good solution with a positive lock in place.
I lost two panels on two separate Spyders before I wised up.
I mounted matching velcro strips on the panel and the frame.
Worked for me, but I guess I don't have the same fabricating skills as JSRT.

Snoking1127
02-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Hello Peter. I want to follow your lead on this project. Do you remember the length of the pin that you purchased ? Or maybe you might have the where to order and the part numbers...Thank you Matt

He said: "Insert a 19mm D-zus fastener through the hole in the panel and slip a small O-ring on the D-zus from the inside to prevent the fastener from falling out when you remove the panel. Re-install the panel being sure to hook the top of the panel correctly. A slight push along with a 1/4 turn on the D-Zeus fastener will secure the panel."

Peter Aawen
02-22-2021, 08:39 PM

Not that it'll be much more help, but I sent you a PM with all the 'further details' that I can recall volks. :thumbup:

davev1pa
03-01-2021, 10:32 AM
I fastened fish line leaders to the magic mirrors.... it also lets them hang in place when servicing...And I definitely like the idea of fastening the panels securely as well