Spyder Garage

Default New take on securing side panels.

Last fall on a trip from Pa. to Tennessee, we learned a hard lesson when I watched my Brother-in-law’s side panel go skipping across 3 lanes of traffic to it’s ultimate demise. We promptly pulled out the Gorilla tape and secured our remaining panels. Over the winter, I studied how best to prevent losing any more panels. I know others have posted their approach to securing the panels so I wanted to share mine. So long as the top hook is intact on the panel, I believe this is a very discreet method of preventing lost or damaged panels.

After carefully measuring and marking the center point of the push-pin located under the side panel, I drilled a 1/4” hole in the side panel. Remove the push pin. Using a Dremel style tool, I cut a slot in the plastic frame to allow the clip to slide into the frame. You may need to squeeze the clip a little tighter before inserting into the frame. After drilling 1/8” holes in the frame, pop rivets secure the clip. Insert a 19mm D-zus fastener through the hole in the panel and slip a small O-ring on the D-zus from the inside to prevent the fastener from falling out when you remove the panel. Re-install the panel being sure to hook the top of the panel correctly. A slight push along with a 1/4 turn on the D-Zeus fastener will secure the panel.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip and excellent instructions. I see this project in my future. Looks great.

Rich
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did something similar a few years back ( no pics ) .... but mine was more complicated .... so I wish I had done it your way .... nice DIY ..... But that upper clip must be used correctly ..... PS I glued my rubber grommets on the frame supports, I could remove if needed just a bit of work ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

How thoughtfully clever! I love meeting challenges like that and coming up with a better solution than the manufacturer did.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice, but the best and cheapest way to secure them is to properly install them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never lost mine yet and its been 6 years now.

Spyder Garage

Several years, many miles - we never lost one either.........till that day!
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Great job JSRT!

I did pretty much the same thing on my 2013 RT some years back after the bloody incompetent (& since closed) dealer stuffed the little placcy hook bits on both panels up & I nearly lost them a couple of times (just saved by quick reflexes! ) only I replaced the little placcy hook on the top/rear of the panels with the D-Zus. Only had to drill thru both the inner & outer plastic panels & then push the D-Zus & receiver into their appropriate spots. Looks like a Factory fitting, and they've been working beautifully ever since!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Both my hooks are gone,one before I bought it and one since by a dealer. If I knew which I would ask for a new panel but I don't. I keep a close eye on my panels and no problems in 5 years,but I can see Dzus fastners in my future.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Nice, but the best and cheapest way to secure them is to properly install them.
    Ann in a perfect world NOTHING ever goes awry ..... but we live in a less than perfect world ( at least I do ) ..... many, many folks don't use a safety tether on their Mirror Magnet system, because they've been told the system WON'T fail ..... and then someone hits a serious pothole or RR trk and it comes off, $250.00 later they use the tether ...... just my thoughts .... good luck .... PS, I try to keep in mind the info I post here, I would hate to think something I said caused a " Newbie " to have a problem .... Mike

Spyder Garage

quicker and easier to just put a hole through the top of the panels into the panel behind it and use a jacknut. I lost two panels before,, never again, $300 a pop is too much. I'll sell the spyder if I lose another one.

Spyder Garage

Hello Peter. I want to follow your lead on this project. Do you remember the length of the pin that you purchased ? Or maybe you might have the where to order and the part numbers...Thank you Matt

Spyder Garage

Good solution with a positive lock in place.
    I lost two panels on two separate Spyders before I wised up.
    I mounted matching velcro strips on the panel and the frame.
    Worked for me, but I guess I don't have the same fabricating skills as JSRT.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by volksbugusa View Post
    Hello Peter. I want to follow your lead on this project. Do you remember the length of the pin that you purchased ? Or maybe you might have the where to order and the part numbers...Thank you Matt
    He said: "Insert a 19mm D-zus fastener through the hole in the panel and slip a small O-ring on the D-zus from the inside to prevent the fastener from falling out when you remove the panel. Re-install the panel being sure to hook the top of the panel correctly. A slight push along with a 1/4 turn on the D-Zeus fastener will secure the panel."
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by volksbugusa View Post
    Not that it'll be much more help, but I sent you a PM with all the 'further details' that I can recall volks.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I fastened fish line leaders to the magic mirrors.... it also lets them hang in place when servicing...And I definitely like the idea of fastening the panels securely as well
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White