Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 SHIFT SWITCH

wanna see what inside the SE5 SHIFT SWITCH....?
    look here:
    SAM_1047.jpg SAM_1048.jpg SAM_1049.jpg SAM_1050.jpg SAM_1051.jpg
    i'm 99% certain that the SE6 Shift Switch is most likely the same switch...
    this was my very 1st issue with my '09 RS/SE5, after almost 44,000 miles... i can't complain... but if you look at the very last picture, you will see where the problem lies... this components is probably a $3.00 to $5.00 item, yet you are required to purchase the entire shift assembly for upwards of $150.00... i'm
    NOT complaining, but i hope the BRP people are reading this and come up with a cheaper 'fix' for such things...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whoa!
    REALLY nekkid Spyder parts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting to see where/what many have never been before.

Thanks for posting the information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

but then they have many such parts. It is to bad they don't break them down to components. When the shop was slow I used to take apart wrecked parts so I could repair others when time was important or the whole part was unaffordable to less fortunate customers...hope they are watching...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Remember, BRP has dethroned

Hardly Davidson and the big bucks braandd... probably some contact cleaner and dialetric lube and it'd go another 44k miles...

Spyder Garage

Default EGG-ZAK-LEE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Hardly Davidson and the big bucks braandd... probably some contact cleaner and dialetric lube and it'd go another 44k miles...
    EGG-ZAK-LEE what i was think'n Big Bird....
    dp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sooo... Are you gonna run an experiment with the busted piece?

Spyder Garage

Default 1 day

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sooo... Are you gonna run an experiment with the busted piece?

1 day maybe....
    but not right now....
    i WANNA RIDE..... 2moro will be the 1st day this week i'm able to ride... i won't give that up to experiments.....
    dp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Live to fight another day; tomorrow, you RIDE!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOU THINK THAT'S A RIP-OFF

Some of the RT owner's ( not me I permanently fixed mine ) ...Have had to replace the entire Motor assembly platform ( approx. $ 700 + ) to fix the $ 5.00 ARM the makes the windshield go up and down.............So I think you got a Bargain .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default CAPITALISM

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Some of the RT owner's ( not me I permanently fixed mine ) ...Have had to replace the entire Motor assembly platform ( approx. $ 700 + ) to fix the $ 5.00 ARM the makes the windshield go up and down.............So I think you got a Bargain .....Mike
    Mike;
    i want companies to make a profit,
    ALWAYS... it's the American way - true capitalism... but some of these items are so far OVER-BOARD, that's it borders on theft... after 45 years as a Tool Maker (13 yrs)/Engineer (32 yrs) in the aerospace industry, my function was to 'get parts made' by our suppliers. i am very well seasoned as to: tooling cost, material cost, labor cost, profit margins, shipping, etc etc etc... dependent on volume, tooling cost can run from 'very high' per piece, to relatively no impact. and since our SPYD3Rs are selling like 'gold at $2.00 an ounce' i would think cost would be coming down some. maybe if BRP had some competition, we would see this happen... until then, enjoy the ride....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 12-07-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default THE " ARM " PROBLEM

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Mike;
    i want companies to make a profit,
    ALWAYS... it's the America way - true capitalism... but some of these items are so far OVER-BOARD, that's it borders on theft... after 45 years as a Tool Maker (13 yrs)/Engineer (32 yrs) in the aerospace industry, my function was to 'get parts made' by our suppliers. i am very well seasoned as to: tooling cost, material cost, labor cost, profit margins, shipping, etc etc etc... dependent on volume, tooling cost can run from 'very high' per piece, to relatively no impact. and since our SPYD3Rs are selling like 'gold at $2.00 an ounce' i would think cost would be coming down some. maybe if BRP had some competition, we would see this happen... until then, enjoy the ride....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Dan since you own an RS you are probably not familiar with the " ARM " ( this raises and lowers the windshield ) on the RT........This part has been breaking since 2012 because it was poorly designed to begin with.......It has cost BRP a LOT of money because if it breaks under warranty , BRP foots the $ 700 + bill for parts and labor......After warranty ( and B.E.S.T. has now refused to cover it ) the owner eats it.......And I agree that companies should make a reasonable profit......A guy in Australia makes the ARM from Aluminum, I have made a cover for them ( even broken ones ) from steel........So why BRP continues with this GARBAGE part is beyond my comprehension......Off the soapbox now ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see the innards of Spyder parts.

Now thinking out loud. It is not very likely, but is that possibly an off the shelf switch?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The BEST service contract covers the windshield mechanism. Read the contract. The language is pretty straightforward.

There have been some DEALERS refuse to honor the contract but also many reports of it being covered. As with most Spyder repairs, the trouble seems to lie mostly with the dealer service departments.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The BEST service contract covers the windshield mechanism. Read the contract. The language is pretty straightforward.

There have been some DEALERS refuse to honor the contract but also many reports of it being covered. As with most Spyder repairs, the trouble seems to lie mostly with the dealer service departments.
    I hope you are correct.............However there have been a few Spyderlovers here who have reported that BEST has refused ....claiming the ARM is NO longer a covered part..Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice I would like to see the switch innards and a pic of the contacts to see if they are damaged or just corroded. Could be an easy fix if so. Sorta like points on a car ( remember them ) file off the corrosion and slap it back together.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I hope you are correct.............However there have been a few Spyderlovers here who have reported that BEST has refused ....claiming the ARM is NO longer a covered part..Mike
    I can only tell you what the contract SAYS, not what BRP or the dealer will try to get away with at the time of repair. This is the downfall of most extended service contract. Sometimes knowing exactly what the contract says can get things decided in your favor. Sometimes the insurer does not care what the contract says, and just decided in their own favor regardless.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Nice I would like to see the switch innards and a pic of the contacts to see if they are damaged or just corroded. Could be an easy fix if so. Sorta like points on a car ( remember them ) file off the corrosion and slap it back together.
    I'm betting also that this could be an easy fix. My way of thinking is....."if someone put it together, someone can take it apart......and fix it"

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default DISSECT SWITCH

GIVE ME A FEW DAYS GUYS, AND I'LL SEE ABOUT DISSECTING THIS SWITCH, AND I'LL POST PIX...
    yup, i'm think'n dat it's like the ole days; clean the contact surfaces of your 'points' n you're good to go.... n YES, no matter if it's glued together, it can still come apart with a little effort and a HAMMER....
    dp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    GIVE ME A FEW DAYS GUYS, AND I'LL SEE ABOUT DISSECTING THIS SWITCH, AND I'LL POST PIX...
    yup, i'm think'n dat it's like the ole days; clean the contact surfaces of your 'points' n you're good to go.... n YES, no matter if it's glued together, it can still come apart with a little effort and a HAMMER....
    dp
    What symptoms were you having exactly also good to know about how it went south over time.

Spyder Garage

Default SYMPTOMS

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    What symptoms were you having exactly also good to know about how it went south over time.
    SYMPTOMS were; hit the paddle-shifter and sometimes it didn't shift, up or down... progressively became more and more frequent over the course of a couple weeks/500 hundred or so miles...
    dp

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

HERE'S THE UPDATE ON THE SE5 SHIFT SWITCH....
    well, i did find out that this is not like the old 'points' distributors of the older cars... but i also figure the 'fix' is even cheaper than i 1st estimated; not $3 - $5, but $0.30 - $0.50...
    SAM_1054.jpg SAM_1055.jpg SAM_1056.jpg
    we're not exactly down to nano-technology, but you will see in the 3rd pix, that this is the component that fails us... it's about 3/8" x 3/8"x 1/8" in size, and inside are contact points that are similar to the old point systems, but this is a 'sealed' component which is most likely generated (imho) in an injection mold machine... if the
    red/blue/black wires were 'plug-in' types, this little sucker would cost far less to fix our issues than the $200+ we pay now... i have no idea if this little sucker is an OTC item, but if somebody is knowledgeable about these types of things, and can find out if it is, you just may save us all a bucket load of ca$h..
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

What's in the switch (circuit board maybe?) The key would be knowing if it outputs a simple on, off to another device or communicates on the CAN-BUS directly.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't read the writing but try a goggle search with and #'s on the switch. Solder and heat shrink makes good connections if the switch can be bought.

Spyder Garage

Default nice work dan

have you traced the red and blue wires to the other end? just wondering if it is a plug in situation.
    it was fun while it lasted.