Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Russell Day Long Seat

After 500 miles on our new 2014 RT Limited, both my wife/passenger and I find the stock seat quite uncomfortable. Can’t ride longer than 45 minutes before we have to get off and walk around to relieve the butt pain. Our 2002 Gold Wing 1800 is about the same for me but okay for my wife. Tried Air Hawk, gel, sheepskin and foam cushions for several years but nothing really helped. I put a Utopia backrest on the RT last week and that has made it a little more comfortable for me but has made it worse for my wife as she has less room to change positions. Tried the sheepskin too… no help. We have done a lot of research on the Internet, including this web page, and both came to the same conclusion. The Russell Day Long (RDL) seat may be the best solution. Before we order a RDL, I’d like to see one on a RT and talk to the rider and passenger. We live in Fort Myers and will be in Minneapolis on 9/12-17 and in Dallas on 9/19-26. Also, I’d like to hear from any RT owners who have made the switch to a RDL… positive and negative comments. A little more info… I’m 6-2, weigh 215 lbs and 72 years young. My wife is 5-8, weighs 160 and is 70. Both been riding for 52 years and got the Spyder primarily for safety reasons. Bo…

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kool rider View Post
    After 500 miles on our new 2014 RT Limited, both my wife/passenger and I find the stock seat quite uncomfortable. Can’t ride longer than 45 minutes before we have to get off and walk around to relieve the butt pain. Our 2002 Gold Wing 1800 is about the same for me but okay for my wife. Tried Air Hawk, gel, sheepskin and foam cushions for several years but nothing really helped. I put a Utopia backrest on the RT last week and that has made it a little more comfortable for me but has made it worse for my wife as she has less room to change positions. Tried the sheepskin too… no help. We have done a lot of research on the Internet, including this web page, and both came to the same conclusion. The Russell Day Long (RDL) seat may be the best solution. Before we order a RDL, I’d like to see one on a RT and talk to the rider and passenger. We live in Fort Myers and will be in Minneapolis on 9/12-17 and in Dallas on 9/19-26. Also, I’d like to hear from any RT owners who have made the switch to a RDL… positive and negative comments. A little more info… I’m 6-2, weigh 215 lbs and 72 years young. My wife is 5-8, weighs 160 and is 70. Both been riding for 52 years and got the Spyder primarily for safety reasons. Bo…
    I'm very interested in this topic as well as I plan to call RDL and KonTour tomorrow to get the details on ordering one of them.
    Last edited by BLACK REV 800 X; 08-17-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought a RDL seat about 1500 miles ago and love it! I have a 2013 RS, but none the less it's a great seat. I'm 6'6", 265# and have had zero issues with the seat. I really like the "wings" that the seat has. It is almost like sitting in a car seat. The only thing I wish I would have done is had RDL install a drivers backrest. Otherwise a perfect seat in my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 2 Russell seats, one on my 08 GS and now one on my 2012 RT. Great seat. I can ride all day and not have a sore butt. There have been several threads on Russell seats lately. Do a search.

Spyder Garage

Cool Russell Day long

I have had 3 Day Long's for my BMW motorcycles. I bought a 2014 RTS and was looking at seats, Ultimate seems to be popular, but I was going to Call Russell Day Long and check if they have done any- ANYONE with more info I would also appreciate, $$ and a picture of what it looks like. Mostly they need the "Pan" to rebuild- so that's more complicated then other vendors where they build from scratch. Let me know. THANKS!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First of all, There are plenty of pictures of the RDL on RT's on there web site. In the past month there have been several stock seats offered for sale if you need a seat pan. Depending on logistics, it costs about $50 to $60 to ship a seat to RDL. So if you buy one have it shipped directly to RDL with your name on it. The RDL has to be the best addition we have done to date. As you know all RDL's are custom made to your body. Take plenty of pictures and tell them what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had RDL seats on all my recent bikes and plan on getting one for the STS this winter... highly recommend.

Spyder Garage

I am getting the Russell seat for my 2013 ST-L in the fall. I've had one on my BMW, have used it for three years now and love it .... we did 2200 miles a couple years ago (from Yuma to the tip of the Baja Penisula) and no problems whatsoever. My ST-L seat is nice but it's NOT a Russell ... can't wait to get mine for this machine.

Spyder Garage

Default Seat Air Hawk

Anyone had any comments on the Air Hawk air pads? Are they worth it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    I bought a RDL seat about 1500 miles ago and love it! I have a 2013 RS, but none the less it's a great seat. I'm 6'6", 265# and have had zero issues with the seat. I really like the "wings" that the seat has. It is almost like sitting in a car seat. The only thing I wish I would have done is had RDL install a drivers backrest. Otherwise a perfect seat in my opinion. [emoji106]
    Any pics of that seat on your RS?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AirHawks

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    I had two for my Helix scooter and Gold Wings. They help a little bit but not a real solution for sore butt. Would not recommend them. I'm looking seriously at the Russell and possibly a trip up to Ormand Beach to check out an Ultimate too.

Spyder Garage

Default Test Ride

I had two for my Helix scooter and Gold Wings. They help a little bit but not a real solution for sore butt. Would not recommend them. I'm looking seriously at the Russell and possibly a trip up to Ormand Beach to check out an Ultimate too.

Kool Rider-
    We'd love to have you come by. Please give us a call in advance to make sure we have the seat you are thinking about in stock, since this is the busy time of the year. We'll put it on for you, and send you stock seat home, no charge. After that you have 14 days of an extended test ride to make sure you love it. If not, send it back to us in the box we shipped your stock seat home in - and all you'd be out is your freight.

Best,

Dave
    www.ultimateseats.com
    877-672-0288
    348 Destination Daytona Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Seats View Post
    Kool Rider-
    We'd love to have you come by. Please give us a call in advance to make sure we have the seat you are thinking about in stock, since this is the busy time of the year. We'll put it on for you, and send you stock seat home, no charge. After that you have 14 days of an extended test ride to make sure you love it. If not, send it back to us in the box we shipped your stock seat home in - and all you'd be out is your freight.

Best,

Dave
    Dave,

I'll give you a call when we leave Dallas for Ormand. Thanks.

Lyle...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Seats View Post
    Kool Rider- We'd love to have you come by. Please give us a call in advance to make sure we have the seat you are thinking about in stock, since this is the busy time of the year. We'll put it on for you, and send you stock seat home, no charge. After that you have 14 days of an extended test ride to make sure you love it. If not, send it back to us in the box we shipped your stock seat home in - and all you'd be out is your freight. Best, Dave
    Dave, We stopped by two weeks ago and tried the Ultimate seat. My wife liked the passenger seat but I did not think the rider seat was any better than the stock seat. Going to keep looking. Libby did a great job in your absence. Lyle...

Spyder Garage

Dave, We stopped by two weeks ago and tried the Ultimate seat. My wife liked the passenger seat but I did not think the rider seat was any better than the stock seat. Going to keep looking. Libby did a great job in your absence. Lyle...
    Try the Russell Daylong seat ... amazing

Spyder Garage

Lyle,

Thanks for giving it a shot. We appreciate the opportunity to earn your business.

Best,

Dave
    www.ultimateseats.com
    877-672-0288
    348 Destination Daytona Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    I had mine on two trikes and now going on my RT. Works great for me.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seats are a very personal preference - mine is Corbin, with the Lamonster cut - but the stocker on the 2014 is just fine for me, far better than the stock seat on my 2010.

Spyder Garage

I have about 1500 on my recently purchased RDL. I had 2 issues originally, one was I kept sliding in the seat and it didn't feel like I was sitting inside the seat, which didn't make it comfortable. I learned the cure for the fist issue on this web site, the solution was to rub the seat down with a heavy terry towel to remove the oils they put on when the seat is made. I got the second issue solved ( almost) when I called Russell and explained that that I didn't feel like I was sitting IN the seat. The tech that actually build the seat told me to push down hard and several times on rear of the seat just in front of the small back rest. He told me that when the seat is constructed it velcroed at that area and that by pushing hard in that area it would give some slack to the Velcro and allow the seat to hollow out. This made a big difference on the comfort scale. I said almost solved, I think it could still use some adjustment. Russell has a 8 month fix it program to make modifications. I haven't done it yet cause it's a hassle to take off the seat, put on the old one but when I stop being lazy I will have some tweaking done .