Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Unable to turn the Ignition key

Hey folks.

Got a 2014 RTS SE I've had since July. Rode it last on Saturday. Went to ride today, put the key in the ignition but it wouldn't turn. It acted as if I had the wrong key. Went and got the other key, tried it, and it did the same thing. We can't do anything at all. Can't even push the bike onto a trailer, cuz the emergency break is on. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this problem? I can't turn it either way - I can't open the seat, the frunk, or start the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaR View Post
    Hey folks.

Got a 2014 RTS SE I've had since July. Rode it last on Saturday. Went to ride today, put the key in the ignition but it wouldn't turn. It acted as if I had the wrong key. Went and got the other key, tried it, and it did the same thing. We can't do anything at all. Can't even push the bike onto a trailer, cuz the emergency break is on. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this problem? I can't turn it either way - I can't open the seat, the frunk, or start the bike.
    Teresa, read through this thread...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...mber-Key-Issue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Call your dealer,ignition switch is a know problem on '14RT and will be replaced under warranty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not sure, but I think there is know issues with the 2014 ignitions. Well let some of the 14 owners chime in. Tobor9 you beat me to it!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default There's a recall going on.

My understanding is there's a recall on some of the ignitions on the 2014 RT's. Call your dealer in the morning. There's a thread on that subject and I'm sure someone will guide you to it.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    Call your dealer,ignition switch is a know problem on '14RT and will be replaced under warranty
    But the problem is, the dealer is 58 miles away and I can't get the bike there now. Is towing covered in that warranty? Guess I'll have to pull it out.

Spyder Garage

In your other post you said that you were able to remove the key, that it just won't turn. That was the case with mine too (in the thread that I referred you to). Your issue sounds just like mine, and it was fixed by the dealer. As far as your emergency break being on, it can be disconnected so that the Spyder can be moved.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks have mentioned being able to "fiddle-around" with the key, until they got it to work...
    If you make make some magic happen; be prepared to take off on the 58 mile run, and don't stop!
    Or...
    Call the dealer, and see if they can pick it up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Can't turn key

I had the same issue, would not turn at all. By spraying some lock lube into the ignition switch and working the key I managed to get the key to turn, it worked ok for a few days then did it again. I contacted the dealer, there was a recall on the switch and he ordered me a complete new one with new keys. In the meantime I carried the lock lube in the rear compartment for times when it happened again. Since the switch was replaced I have had no further problem. Lock lube may or may not work in your situation but worth a try.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

If you have the steering locked there may be excessive pressure on the locking bolt. Try releasing the pressure by turning the handlebars slightly while turning the key.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Some folks have mentioned being able to "fiddle-around" with the key, until they got it to work...
    If you make make some magic happen; be prepared to take off on the 58 mile run, and don't stop!
    Or...
    Call the dealer, and see if they can pick it up!
    LOL that's what we were thinking. If we can get the key IN, and turning, so long as we don't take it OUT we should be good, until we get it there. Course that means no quick errands. Seriously though, this weekend is our "Fun Day" with the Yamaha Star group I'm a member of, and was hoping to show off the bike. Not going to happen. And yes, my keytag is on that list you provided. thanks for that.

Are there any other "known issues" with the 2014 I should be aware of? this is the 2nd so far, the first being the "known issue" with the oil leaks. That happened before we put 50 miles on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that the ignition switch, and the oil leak; are just about it...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black