Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacment Tire for RT

Since my new 14 is about gone at 7200 miles and since my last Kumo tired to kill me several times due to Hydroplaning I think this will be my next tire:
    • Yokohama S.Drive High Performance Tire - 205/50R15 86V

It is a bit narrower (about 3/4") and bit taller (should fix the speedo error pretty much) and has very good resistance to hydroplaning. Worth a try unless some one has tried and does not like?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks good, What your reason to use 205 instead 225

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They probably don't make it in a 225. There are very few choices in the exact size. Randy, what is the price on it? I just had a Kumho delivered today but I do like Yokohomas.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden Kumho s for tens of thousands of miles in the rain and have experienced less hydroplaning that stock tire. how do you have it inflated??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had Yokohamas on the front of my GS along with the Michelin Hydroedge on the back. My experience was very positive. Very good in the rain and very good for wear. I will put them on my the front of my RT when the time comes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They don't make that size, it is a rare size in most brands and the few that do are often non symmetrical or not a good wet road tire

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    That looks good, What your reason to use 205 instead 225

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I honestly can't recall, it was on my 2011. I had a lot of hydroplaning with the Kumo, but who knows. When I shot over 4 lanes on I5 near Vancouver WA I had enough, lol.... No cars luckily, Sunday morning around 8:00 A.M. It felt like I was on ice, no steering and I could not even touch the brake or it was worse. That time I had the trailer on. It was never quite that bad solo but still very unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have ridden Kumho s for tens of thousands of miles in the rain and have experienced less hydroplaning that stock tire. how do you have it inflated??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$95 delivered with Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They probably don't make it in a 225. There are very few choices in the exact size. Randy, what is the price on it? I just had a Kumho delivered today but I do like Yokohomas.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

I just ordered this to try. It is a Maxxis Victra MAS-Z4S. It is available in our size.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm using a 215/60/15 and it corrects the speedo to right on with the GPS. Lot's more options in that size. I'm using a Michelin Primacy
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Since my new 14 is about gone at 7200 miles and since my last Kumo tired to kill me several times due to Hydroplaning I think this will be my next tire:
    • Yokohama S.Drive High Performance Tire - 205/50R15 86V

It is a bit narrower (about 3/4") and bit taller (should fix the speedo error pretty much) and has very good resistance to hydroplaning. Worth a try unless some one has tried and does not like?

When you get it mounted and road tested, be sure to post up your observations.

BTW, can you check your speedo with a GPS? It would seem that most Spyders, and all motorcycles for that matter, have speedometers that read faster than your true speed. So with this size change, it would seem you're going the wrong direction and might have more speedo error rather than less.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bike with stock tires is just about 1 mph off at 55 mph...
    Not enough to worry about!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 08-14-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't like the height variance it is over 3%, you are going from ~ 23.86" to 23.07", that will cause a problem for the abs braking system.
    i spent a lot of money buying an rt-s because i feel it is a very very safe bike to ride, i would never try to save money on it's most important safety feature....IT'S TIRES.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I don't like the height variance it is over 3%, you are going from ~ 23.86" to 23.07", that will cause a problem for the abs braking system.
    i spent a lot of money buying an rt-s because i feel it is a very very safe bike to ride, i would never try to save money on it's most important safety feature....IT'S TIRES.
    I was wondering about that. It might also cause problems with the stability control. I'm sure the nanny has the parameters stored for the difference between the front and back tires. The 6K question is how much wiggle room there is. That will determine whether or not a different size tire will work OK.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

According to the chart, the tire I was looking be running about 51.5 at 50 on the odometer, I am out about 2 mph at 65, so it should be close. I like the other options coming forward, I will do more research, thanks for the ideas!

Spyder Garage

According to the chart, the tire I was looking be running about 51.5 at 50 on the odometer, I am out about 2 mph at 65, so it should be close. I like the other options coming forward, I will do more research, thanks for the ideas!
    According to this

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...nfoTireMath.do

With these tires if your speedo reads 65 MPH, then your true speed will be 62.85 MPH.

Not a big difference, but most motorcycles have a deliberate over estimation built into their speedos. If you've GPS tested yours then you have a good baseline. FWIW, my old 08 GS was less accurate than my 14 RT.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're choosing a tire to correct a variance on the speedometer...
    ...you're aiming at the wrong target!

1. You simply don't have a lot of tire clearance, if you have the new fenders...
    2. The differential between front and rear tire speeds WILL bite you on the bottom if it exceed's Nanny's limits...
    3. Tires have a host of characteristics that need to be reviewed during the decision-making timeframe...
    Traction
    Tread-wear
    Wet weather handling
    Load capacity
    Shop wisely, and avoid future headaches!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nice looking tire...mileage expectation???

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmur View Post
    I just ordered this to try. It is a Maxxis Victra MAS-Z4S. It is available in our size.

Great looking tire...thanks for providing another option. Let us know what kind of mileage you're getting out of this tire....maybe one in the future for me...going with the Kumho Ecsta AST for now....
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good info, I will use this tire calculator in the future. Mine is way off. I Have tested by GPS to find my speed error so I am good there. Well back to the drawing board, lol....

By the way, this is not about saving money or correcting speed error, , I will pay top dollar for a tire that will give good life and great wet and dry road traction and ideally, the exact same size as stock.

Question, I have read how other have changed rear tires to a slightly different size with no nanny issues but never hear of anyone that had to replace a tire that was causing problems. Urban myth or substantiated fact?

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    According to this

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...nfoTireMath.do

With these tires if your speedo reads 65 MPH, then your true speed will be 62.85 MPH.

Not a big difference, but most motorcycles have a deliberate over estimation built into their speedos. If you've GPS tested yours then you have a good baseline. FWIW, my old 08 GS was less accurate than my 14 RT.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 08-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good info, I will use this tire calculator in the future. Mine is way off. I Have tested by GPS to find my speed error so I am good there. Well back to the drawing board, lol....

By the way, this is not about saving money or correcting speed error, , I will pay top dollar for a tire that will give good life and great wet and dry road traction and ideally, the exact same size as stock.

Question, I have read how other have changed rear tires to a slightly different size with no nanny issues but never hear of anyone that had to replace a tire that was causing problems. Urban myth or substantiated fact?
    I have been wondering it myself. I have never read a post with a different tire size that says "dang tire screwed up nanny had to replace it".