Thread: Brembo brakes

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brembo brakes

I have a 2008 spyder SE5 and I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows if the brembo brakes fitted to the later model spyders will fit my model, or if there is an aftermarket brake kit that's compatible. Any info would be much appreciated.

Spydaweb

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Post Teddy & I would like to 'Welcome You to the SpyderHood ~ Dave

As for your brake question, I don't believe the newer system is compatible to earlier model years due to size/space restraints that are required for fitment, one reason they also had to increase wheel/tire size for the newer models, from my understanding. As for After-Market 'Kits' I've also not heard of any, but that doesn't mean their not out there. One of our site Sponsors BajaRon does offer an upgrade to the system tho by replacing the pads & rotors:
    EBC High Carbon Stainless Steel Rotors (I will have more on these soon)
    EBC Semi-Sintered brake pads (Not to be confused with their Organic pads)

Hope this helps & Welcome to the Best site on the www for ANYthing & EVERYthing Spyder Related

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    As for your brake question, I don't believe the newer system is compatible to earlier model years due to size/space restraints that are required for fitment, one reason they also had to increase wheel/tire size for the newer models, from my understanding. As for After-Market 'Kits' I've also not heard of any, but that doesn't mean their not out there. One of our site Sponsors BajaRon does offer an upgrade to the system tho by replacing the pads & rotors:
    EBC High Carbon Stainless Steel Rotors (I will have more on these soon)
    EBC Semi-Sintered brake pads (Not to be confused with their Organic pads)

Hope this helps & Welcome to the Best site on the www for ANYthing & EVERYthing Spyder Related

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I will look into the EBC parts.

Spyder Garage

As far as I can tell the braking system on the 08 GS/RS is (I believe) a Chinese made unit of (IMO) questionable quality. I've tried using different pads and found an improvement in the stopping power. I am currently running the EBC's from Baja Ron (Thanks Ron) and they are the best so far. They do leave more residue than OEM, but they stop much better and don't make funny noises when backing. For me, the trade off is well worth it.

If you're looking for improved performance, I would suggest replacing the master cylinder. It would be easy to do and should yield good results if done properly. (This is a very common modification in some corners of the motorcycle world.)

Spyder Garage

Time to replace brakes, are there any reliable aftermarket market front/rear pads available..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

our sponsor BajaRon sells EBC brakes and rotors. As far as retrofitting the brembos, not possible without major changes. And no aftermarket kit that I know of. The EBC's will make a big difference..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    our sponsor BajaRon sells EBC brakes and rotors. As far as retrofitting the brembos, not possible without major changes. And no aftermarket kit that I know of. The EBC's will make a big difference..
    Thanks,
    I'm not familiar with the EBC brand..... Are you using them, what's the expected life?...I'm not hard on brakes...+18k on original set...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact BajaRon about them...
    Anything that we TRY to tell you; he can explain easier and faster!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Contact BajaRon about them...
    Anything that we TRY to tell you; he can explain easier and faster!

Thanks,,,

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

There is no aftermarket replacement for the braking system on the Spyder, to my knowledge. It would take a lot of modification (including different front wheels) to get the Brembo's on a pre 2013 Spyder. I don't know anyone who has even tried. Not worth the effort.

The pre 2013 braking system isn't fantastic but it is good enough with the right components. EBC makes 2 versions of brake pads for the Spyder. One is organic (some list them as Kevlar to make them sound really good but that doesn't help them stop any better).

Organic is great for getting rid of the squeal, but you'll pay for it in reduced life span and braking power. I don't sell these but they are readily available on eBay and elsewhere.

I do sell the more expensive Simi-Sintered EBC pads, which I think are the best way to go.

The goal is to get rid of the squeal without sacrificing stopping power. I think the EBC Semi-Sintered brake pads do this better than anything else out there that I know of. They do leave more brake dust but it is non-ferrous (won't rust) and doesn't stick to the wheel like some other pad materials do.

If you want to stop better than what the EBC pads provide you can upgrade to the EBC rotors.

You can always PM me here or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

I also have a banner ad on the Home Page here at Spyderlovers.com where you can get more information on the products I carry.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-21-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...