Thread: More MPG info

Spyder Garage

Smile More MPG info

There was a long thread yesterday about 2014 mpg. I'd like to add to that.

I have a 2012 RT SE5. It has 3150 miles on it I bought it used this year with 2500 miles on it. While I only put 650 miles on it, here are the results of my mpg for the last 3 fill ups. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/spiderjim/spyder-rts
    1st - 27.2
    2nd - 28.2
    3rd - 43.5

The significant difference between the first two and the last fill up, I believe is exactly because of what Texas indicated on his post yesterday.

1) 85º day vs. 45-50º days previously
    2) wind 12mph vs. 20-25mph previously
    3) 90% country roads, not a lot of stop & go
    4) stayed at speed limit (+- 3mph) always under 60mph
    5) windshield down vs. up previously
    6) not a lot of idling (previously when it was being worked on in the shop for an engine check light, a lot of idling)
    7) no aggressive start offs
    8) shifts made at 4500-5000rpm

I used the same gas station for all fill ups. Interestingly, the 1st & 3rd fill ups were with premium, and the 2nd was with regular. There are many factors at play that affect your mpg.
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

seems that this has become the main concern of the ryders here. No more great rydes, beautiful sceenery, great friends etc. We seem to have come down to gas mileage, high test or regular and tire wear. I'm begining to think too many are getting roadsters under the impression they run like mopeds. Let me ask...if you are buying a corvette, Z-car, Cadillac STS or the many SUV are you doing it for the gas savings..?? on these machines you gas mileage will vary so much for so many reasons you can check if you like but ryde it like the machine it is. Fill her up and ryde till shes dry...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Fill her up and ryde till shes dry...
    That's the only reason I establish a base line for mpg, in order to know when I should start worrying about filling up. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Spyder Garage

The only thing I use MPG for is budgeting for my trips. If MPG was my primary concern then I would be driving the car more. It gets 47 MPG. Between the gas gauge and the trip meter in the Garmin I have never really been concerned with MPG. For me it's all about the journey, the destinations are just added benefits. But that is just me. It's OK to be concerned about MPG if you want. Whatever gets the wind in your hair and you down the road is OK.

Spyder Garage

This forum has been very good in sharing information for all SpyderLovers, and especially those new Spyder owners, like me. They have helped me numerous times. Sharing information is a good thing.

I enjoy great rides, great scenery, and I ride with great friends. MPG is not a "main concern", but it was good to hear what others are experiencing, and I shared back.

I have a suggestion for those of you who are tired of seeing certain posts........don't open them! Get on your bike and ride!
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    This forum has been very good in sharing information for all SpyderLovers, and especially those new Spyder owners, like me. They have helped me numerous times. Sharing information is a good thing.

I enjoy great rides, great scenery, and I ride with great friends. MPG is not a "main concern", but it was good to hear what others are experiencing, and I shared back.

I have a suggestion for those of you who are tired of seeing certain posts........don't open them! Get on your bike and ride!
    I agree with Jim. When I read his first post, I never got an indication that he doesn't enjoy his ride or enjoy the scenery. I'm very disappointed in the members that feel the need to say something negative to the members who are just trying to dial in their rides; and share that information with other members who may be interested.

Jim, I'm happy to hear that you've discovered some of the factors that affect mileage. I didn't know the 2012 was capable of getting that kind of MPG, but it sounds like you may be on to something. I guess now the question is: Can you get 40+ MPG on a few consecutive tanks?

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I agree with Jim. When I read his first post, I never got an indication that he doesn't enjoy his ride or enjoy the scenery. I'm very disappointed in the members that feel the need to say something negative to the members who are just trying to dial in their rides; and share that information with other members who may be interested.

Jim, I'm happy to hear that you've discovered some of the factors that affect mileage. I didn't know the 2012 was capable of getting that kind of MPG, but it sounds like you may be on to something. I guess now the question is: Can you get 40+ MPG on a few consecutive tanks?
    WHAT HE SAID

Spyder Garage

Texas, as you said, there are a lot of factors that affect mpg. I'll wait for similar conditions, and see what I get, and I'll let you, and other members who may be interested. Those who don't care.....don't open.

safe & happy riding!
    Last edited by spyderjim; 05-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    That's the only reason I establish a base line for mpg, in order to know when I should start worrying about filling up. Otherwise, it is what it is.
    That is actually why I started tracking mileage. When I first bought my Spyder, I read numerous posts about the fuel gauge being notoriously inaccurate, i.e. bouncing all over the place, etc. I also read posts when on EMPTY, one time it only needed 3.5 gallons to fill up the tank and another time 4.5 gallons, etc. The only way to track true gas mileage is to religiously track it. Yes, there will be people who ask WHY? do that! First, don't read the post if you are not interested - 2nd, it answers an important question FOR SOME PEOPLE!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    3rd - 43.5
    Nope - you did not get 43.5 mpg. Sorry - we see this type of post all the time and it just is not possible. However, to explain it is boring and unimportant. Ride your Spyder and enjoy it! However, I will tell you - the best fuel mileage I ever recorded was followed by the worst fuel mileage! Why? Because of the Spyder tank and pump pressure, etc. I fill up my Spyder at the same gas station 70% of the time. Hold the pump handle straight down: hold the handle to the right: do not fully insert the handle; pump pressure adjustments for the auto shut-off; etc. etc. etc. etc. all affect how much fuel it takes to FILL UP your Spyder. On such a small tank, a gallon easily can result in a reading that is significantly different then the previous fill-up. Yes, some things will have minor effect and collectively may result in obvious improvement in over-all gas mileage, but it will not result in a 25% difference. But back to my earlier statement - Ride your Spyder and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    seems that this has become the main concern of the ryders here.
    I am interested in tire wear and gas mileage just for planning purposes. Tracking mileage tells me how far I can go, particularly if I am in a remote area with fewer gas stations. Tire wear is all over the place and that information hasn't been very helpful! LOL. I just check my own tires the way it is recommended.

I didn't know the 2012 was capable of getting that kind of MPG
    It isn't.

Last edited by Knarfoh; 05-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    I fill up my Spyder at the same gas station 70% of the time. Hold the pump handle straight down: hold the handle to the right: do not fully insert the handle; pump pressure adjustments for the auto shut-off; etc. etc. etc. etc. all affect how much fuel it takes to FILL UP your Spyder. On such a small tank, a gallon easily can result in a reading that is significantly different then the previous fill-up. Yes, some things will have minor effect and collectively may result in obvious improvement in over-all gas mileage, but it will not result in a 25% difference.

So are you saying that everytime you fill up; the amount of fuel you get is off by 25%? I would find a new gas station. Fuel pumps are checked once every year or two by the state for accuracy, and shut down if they are the least bit off. If you are seeing a difference, contact your state's department of transportation and report it immediately. If what you say is true, they will be shut down. It is considered a crime if left in operation.

I know that my fill-ups are very consistent, and I don't always fill up at the same station

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

T,
    PM sent...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been following threads like this and just my 2 cents.

One thing I agree with is the "fill up" term. It is not an accurate measurement! Anytime you measure something you have to have all things based on the measurement being consistent, repeatable, and accurate. Filling up is not consistent or accurate! Even if you think you are doing it the same each time. e.g. how far the filler is in the tank, stopping at the first click, etc... It's a judgment and therefor in my opinion not accurate enough.

If you really want to measure mileage 100% accurate then you need to drain the tank. Put in say exactly 4 gallons and reset the odometer. Ride till it is empty! (yes empty not when a light comes on), record mileage, reset the odometer, put in exactly 4 gallons, repeat many many times.

I see no other way to fully know with arbitrary measurements such as "fill up" and the "light came on".

And yes I agree. with such a small tank just a little more gas here or a little less there would probably swing the mileage a good amount. Probably explains the huge variance we are seeing reported.
    This works with a car because the difference in a "fill up" on a 15 gallon or more tank is not going to be large % compared to a 5 gallon tank.

By the way another arbitrary measurement is when the light comes on "it's time to fill up"! I notice on my spyder this is not accurate either! The spyder is sensitive to temperature at the tank (expansion) and angles. I have pulled into my garage on a hot day and the light was not on and digital gas gauge was reading 3 bars. Came out the next morning and the light is on and digital gauge is showing 1 bar.... So, there is another arbitrary measurement.

Now the only other way that in my opinion is close, is to use an average over 100's of fill ups. Forget looking at a single ONE and go "wow I got 40 mpg" or damn I only got 23. You have to forget these as the variables that cause them are too great. These variances will slowly disappear or become insignificant when you average over many samples. Then you will have a pretty good idea what your mileage is.

My 2 cents.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob,
    Here you go!
    1864TwoCent.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Don't over-think the fill-up issue. I always fill up until the fuel starts bubbling out of the tank, and this is while I am pumping at the lowest flow rate. Is it perfectly accurate within .001 gallons every time? No; but it isn't ever off by enough to even make a 1 MPG difference. Again, don't over-think it. Also, refer to my thread where I've been accurately tracking MPGs since the day I purchased my RT:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Texas-(V2-0)

I agree with the statement that says "you can't just look at one or two fill-ups". This is why I track every single tank since the odometer read 0001. I don't know how others are tracking their MPGs, but don't make general statements indicating that there is no way to do it. It isn't rocket science. It's just a matter of making sure it is always filled up within one tenth (which is easy to do) of a gallon each time and keeping a running log of every fill-up.
    Last edited by Texas; 05-22-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

I actually enjoy threads to see what others are doing as far as mpg's are concerned.

That is the accountant/CPA part of me. I always calculate my mpg--just because. I like to know how the ryde is doing--but--it does not make a lot of difference one way or another as far as my enjoyment of the ryde. I do have the information available if anyone asks though. Filled up the 2011 yesterday (31.7) 32 mpg--pretty good!

Going to fill the 2014 this AM. Last tank, 38 mpg. Also pretty good IMO.

Keep the numbers and information coming.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I too enjoy my ride. I'm not sure why people tend to compare enjoying their ride to monitoring MPGs. You know, one thing has nothing to do with another. Some people frequent the track to constantly try to beat their best 1/4 mile time; some of us constantly try to beat our best overall MPG. However, we all enjoy our rides. Those who don't believe this, need to open their minds to understand that not everyone is going to think the way they do. Don't beat up on those who think differently.

Thinking differently sparks innovation. Innovation is what gives us all of those new toys that we love so much, like iPods....oh yes, and Spyders.

Spyder Garage

I too enjoy my ride. I'm not sure why people tend to compare enjoying their ride to monitoring MPGs. You know, one thing has nothing to do with another. Some people frequent the track to constantly try to beat their best 1/4 mile time; some of us constantly try to beat our best overall MPG. However, we all enjoy our rides. Those who don't believe this, need to open their minds to understand that not everyone is going to think the way they do. Don't beat up on those who think differently.

Thinking differently sparks innovation. Innovation is what gives us all of those new toys that we love so much, like iPods....oh yes, and Spyders.
    You are right on. No such implication was intended in my post.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You are right on. No such implication was intended in my post.

...and none was taken It just reminded me of a consistent statement that those who oppose talks about MPG always make. I've never understood why they would get so upset over other members talking about the efficiency of the RT.

It reminds me how just a few years ago, the majority of people were against electric vehicles; stating that they have no power, no range, etc... Now the fastest motorcycle on the planet is an electric bike, and Tesla has an electric car that produces over 400 HP. Both of these vehicles have a range at least as far (if not much further) than their gasoline driven counterparts. I can only imagine how much ridicule the engineers of those vehicles must have taken through the years to produce these innovative machines, but I'm happy they stuck with it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't over-think the fill-up issue. I always fill up until the fuel starts bubbling out of the tank, and this is while I am pumping at the lowest flow rate. Is it perfectly accurate within .001 gallons every time? No; but it isn't ever off by enough to even make a 1 MPG difference. Again, don't over-think it. Also, refer to my thread where I've been accurately tracking MPGs since the day I purchased my RT:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Texas-(V2-0)

I agree with the statement that says "you can't just look at one or two fill-ups". This is why I track every single tank since the odometer read 0001. I don't know how others are tracking their MPGs, but don't make general statements indicating that there is no way to do it. It isn't rocket science. It's just a matter of making sure it is always filled up within one tenth (which is easy to do) of a gallon each time and keeping a running log of every fill-up.
    When manufacturer measures MPG they don't use the tank. They use a controlled environment to eliminate "I fill up till".
    They use a special tank than can be measured and a meter from that tank. So my point is to properly measure something accurately you can't have unknown variables. Now do you need that extreme? Not really. Again if you use an average of many many measures which will move the variables to a point they are insignificant. My point was one tank getting this or that doesn’t mean much.

Also you have seen the shape of the tank right? Try this one time. Fill up your spyder till it does whatever your use to. Now shake the spyder front and back well. You will see those funny cavities in the shape of the tank have air pockets that can be purge and you can get more gas in.

Also expansion due to temps is known to change how much you actually have in your tank AND of what the pump tells you it pumped out. Companies that have many drivers and many fleet cars do request you fill up in the morning when it's colder. The gas is denser. The pumps measure flow not density and flow. Over time with millions of miles on many vehicles this cost in lost amount due to density does add up . Look it up... FYI gas does expand a lot compared to water.

My .02 cents.

OK Bob, find a .02 cent coin

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-22-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's ok Texas, you just keep doing what gives you enjoyment from your riding.

Spyder Garage

Default fuel mileage consistancy

I find my mileage to be very consistant running with the wife and trailer 28-31mpg running solo or out with the guys 24-28 throttle management has every thing to do with mpg on a spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Almost everyone reports the pre 14 RT's running about 27-32. Fuelly.com is a great place to track your mileage and to see what others are getting. Only averaging can tell you what is happening overall as everyone knows. If a you get much more than 32 then you have a very special bike or, you live on top of a mountain. I track fuel as an indicator to see if anything else is a miss. My 14 is not great as yet either, 32.1 for the first 18 tanks. I did get a 40 once but the tank before that was 25-go figure, lol.