Spyder Garage

Default Disabled Spyder Ryder question: belt alignment, in reverse

Hello Team, I was doing my first belt alignment after installing a new rear tire. I do the belt alignment procedure, and have it perfect, but when I put my GS in reverse the belt goes to the flange on the rear sprocket. I am awaiting the arrival of my Kriket, to test ensure the belt tension is 160-180, thinking tension may be causing this.
    Anyone have insight on the belt being in perfect alignment in forward, but moves to the flange in reverse? Thx, barnie.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a perfectly normal pecularity of these belt-driven bikes...
    That's why they always say to make the adjustments after the bike has been driven straight forward far-enough to stabilize the belt's position on the sprockets.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

On my 09 when tracking was adjusted correctly in forward direction, in reverse would slightly hang off the side of the rear pulley. I just adjusted my 13 and in reverse it will go against the flange. The nature of the beast and not all the same. Also if you look at the front pulley the belt will almost always be running against the outer flange.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That is a perfectly normal pecularity of these belt-driven bikes...
    That's why they always say to make the adjustments after the bike has been driven straight forward far-enough to stabilize the belt's position on the sprockets.
    Many thx, you are the first insight to this and I very much appreciate your guidance. Way back, under warranty, my dealer could not keep the belt alignment, and BRP replaced my swing arm and drive sprocket. I am concerned, because of this.

Hoping to hear more positive insights. Have a great riding season. b

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry..!!

There will be some drift but should not be to drastic. First adjustment (not ever working with a belt drive with open ended sprokets) in reverse the belt would hang off the open side. I have fine tuned this to almost no movement. It takes a little time but I'm happier when I don't see the belt wandering...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you had to have the swingarm and sprocket replaced; could that point to a problem with how the bearings were seating?
    You might just want to quiz your dealer a little bit about this...
    And please let us know what you learn!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Try this Thread (RT Hitch Removal and Belt adjustment) RS and RT are the same a belt adjustment.
    Last edited by Iamjoey; 04-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default cause

Quote Originally Posted by floto612 View Post
    Many thx, you are the first insight to this and I very much appreciate your guidance. Way back, under warranty, my dealer could not keep the belt alignment, and BRP replaced my swing arm and drive sprocket. I am concerned, because of this.

Hoping to hear more positive insights. Have a great riding season. b

Did the dealer know why the swing arm and drive sprocket failed? After replacing my tire at 30k miles thought maybe the wheel bearings might be due so I ordered them too but they were smooth and quiet so i just put a little grease inside the seals and and when i got it back together apparently i'd changed the belt tension and adjusted and adjusted per Lamonts and the manuals instructions, but when I get it tracking true, after tightening the axle, and setting it on the ground it's off to one side, or the other. Have been able to keep it off the edge but never seem to get it it perfectly centered like it used to be. just wonder if there's not something else. Anybody else had to have their swingarm and drive sprockets replaced like this, and if so, what were the symptoms? Only have my RPM One warranty left for another couple years and I'm guessing they'll say it's a wear item?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White