Spyder Garage

Default Factory Radio Install

Just installed the BRP radio in my ST. Instructions say one hour. Took closer to five. I could probably do another on in about two hours. Factory instructions were close to useless. But it works now.
    Now for Cruise and heated grips.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice !

I want to do the same to my sts , bout how much did the radio cost and does the radio come with the two front speakers , thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Edsts View Post
    I want to do the same to my sts , bout how much did the radio cost and does the radio come with the two front speakers , thanks
    Radio came with the trike. Still in the box. I was told about $800. It came with both speakers. Prior owner also provided an I Phone cord.

Tried installing the Polly Heaters PH 200 grip heaters that so many on this site recommended. They will not work. The handle bars are solid metal, not a tube. Anyone need a set?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool thanks for the inform

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    Radio came with the trike. Still in the box. I was told about $800. It came with both speakers. Prior owner also provided an I Phone cord.

Tried installing the Polly Heaters PH 200 grip heaters that so many on this site recommended. They will not work. The handle bars are solid metal, not a tube. Anyone need a set?
    Is thr audio loud enough while riding ,

Spyder Garage

Finally had a chance to test the radio.
    At 65mph I can hear the radio. Better if the visor is open. I would not consider it high fidelity. I do like that the volume goes up with speed.

Spyder Garage

Finally had a chance to test the radio.
    At 65mph I can hear the radio. Better if the visor is open. I would not consider it high fidelity. I do like that the volume goes up with speed.
    Please:

By any chance can you share the instructions that came with the kit even if useless?
    And what was in the box aside from the speakers, the antenna and the actual radio unit?
    You mentioned you got the iPod cable DIN connector, did the connector came with the kit or was in your ST already?
    And which model do you have?

Lots of questions, thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

The box had everything to install the radio. Radio, Wiring harness, speakers, antenna, and all the hardware necessary.
    The instructions are many pages and are basically just pictures or drawings. It assumes you know how to remove the tupperware. Many of them with the disclaimer "parts removed for clarity". Very few words to explain how to run the wires or even where the radio mounts. I thought is would mount in the center under the seat. It mounts on the right side under the tupperware. The antenna cable is longer than necessary. You coil it up and zip tie it to the left side.
    Speakers were easy. The wires were already in the Trike.
    Installing the DIN plug into the Frunk was the hardest part. I believe the instructions assumed the Frunk had been removed. I did it with the Frunk still on the Trike. There is a circular "nut" that hold the pin to the Frunk. There is a waterproof hinged cover that goes between plug and the nut. So you snake the DIN plug in from the back where you cannot get a hand to hold it, pass the tip of it through the hole in the Frunk, put the hinged cover over the tip of the DIN plug and then try to screw the circular nut over the tiny bit of thread you can reach. The hinged cover gets in the way.
    I think it would be easier to put the nut in the cover and close the cover. It might trap the nut enough to allow you to turn the entire cover to start the nut.
    I held the cover open with a small piece of a zip tie pushed into the hinge. Once the threads started it was simple to finish.
    The DIN cable for the IPOD was in a separate envelope and did NOT come with the kit.

Spyder Garage

Hi Craniac

Thanks for the explanation. Since I am doing a project trying to bypass the need for the factory radio but using the wiring and if possible to you, those images will come in handy so if you can send them my way.

The main questions I still have left if you dont mind are

Did you remove the dash to install the speakers?
    How the PIN connector is wired to the radio unit?

Thanks in advance

Regards

The box had everything to install the radio. Radio, Wiring harness, speakers, antenna, and all the hardware necessary.
    The instructions are many pages and are basically just pictures or drawings. It assumes you know how to remove the tupperware. Many of them with the disclaimer "parts removed for clarity". Very few words to explain how to run the wires or even where the radio mounts. I thought is would mount in the center under the seat. It mounts on the right side under the tupperware. The antenna cable is longer than necessary. You coil it up and zip tie it to the left side.
    Speakers were easy. The wires were already in the Trike.
    Installing the DIN plug into the Frunk was the hardest part. I believe the instructions assumed the Frunk had been removed. I did it with the Frunk still on the Trike. There is a circular "nut" that hold the pin to the Frunk. There is a waterproof hinged cover that goes between plug and the nut. So you snake the DIN plug in from the back where you cannot get a hand to hold it, pass the tip of it through the hole in the Frunk, put the hinged cover over the tip of the DIN plug and then try to screw the circular nut over the tiny bit of thread you can reach. The hinged cover gets in the way.
    I think it would be easier to put the nut in the cover and close the cover. It might trap the nut enough to allow you to turn the entire cover to start the nut.
    I held the cover open with a small piece of a zip tie pushed into the hinge. Once the threads started it was simple to finish.
    The DIN cable for the IPOD was in a separate envelope and did NOT come with the kit.

Spyder Garage

Answers in Bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by zavalza View Post
    Hi Craniac

Thanks for the explanation. Since I am doing a project trying to bypass the need for the factory radio but using the wiring and if possible to you, those images will come in handy so if you can send them my way.

The main questions I still have left if you dont mind are

Did you remove the dash to install the speakers?

No, the speaker grills pop out from the top. The wires are already there. Just push the connectors on to the speakers and install the speakers with provided screws and then pop the grills back on.

How the PIN connector is wired to the radio unit?

The kit included the factory radio harness. All I did was plug the harness in.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Spyder Garage

Craniac,
    congrats, I didn't have the nerve to tackle that myself so dealer installed. It works and sounds great! My question is what size are the speakers? I was thinking of upgrading to a more powerful? set -at high speeds it does become a little tinny- even w/ adjustments.
    thanks
    Mat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstella101 View Post
    Craniac,
    congrats, I didn't have the nerve to tackle that myself so dealer installed. It works and sounds great! My question is what size are the speakers? I was thinking of upgrading to a more powerful? set -at high speeds it does become a little tinny- even w/ adjustments.
    thanks
    Mat
    I think they are about 4 inch. You might be able to fit a larger oval shaped speaker.

Spyder Garage

thanks -enjoy ! its great having tunes while u ride