Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Died

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAD BATTERY ALSO

My 2013 RT*S want start either..been sitting in garage a year w/o being drove>>dealer is to pick it up to do service bulletins & i told him it would not crank>he will jump start to get it on tow truck & says i will need to buy a battery when it gets to shop Why do i need a new battery if bike only has 300 miles on it?? How much will battery cost??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    My 2013 RT*S want start either..been sitting in garage a year w/o being drove>>dealer is to pick it up to do service bulletins & i told him it would not crank>he will jump start to get it on tow truck & says i will need to buy a battery when it gets to shop Why do i need a new battery if bike only has 300 miles on it?? How much will battery cost??
    Your problem is that it has been sitting for a year. All vehicles have normal parasitic current draw or loss as they sit. That is why people either put a battery maintainer on the battery, or remove the battery from the machine if it sits for a long period of time.

It is really hard on a battery to let it go totally dead. A new battery is about $125-$150

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You provided your own answer with, "been sitting in garage a year w/o being drove." I take it you have not had a battery maintainer hooked to it either. That means the battery ran down completely around 11 months ago. A battery sitting totally dead for that long of a time goes bad due to sulfation. Mileage has almost nothing to do with battery life. It's time, the depth of the discharge, and the number of discharge/charge cycles it goes through. Batteries can be finicky. Treat them gently and they can last a long time. Mistreat them and they can die quickly.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAD BATTERY ? ? ?

Before trashing your battery, considering what a new one costs, IMHO if it can be jump started it may not be ruined.......I would put it on a regulated charger first for a few hours, then on a trickle charger for 36 to 48 hrs. and then have it tested. You have nothing to lose doing this ........AGM batteries are not like regular lead acid batteries , yours may be saveable .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have had the same issue with my 2013. Have been back to the dealer three times complaining about Spyder not starting even with the battery tender connected 100% of the time when not running. I have found though that if I put the bike in neutral before shutting off I have not had any starting problems since then. Mentioned that to the dealer and well you know
    I thought I'd mention (because some people don't know this) that if your Spyder isn't in neutral when you turn it off, then you must have your foot on the brake when you start it, or it won't start. If it's in neutral before turning it off, you don't need to put your foot on the brake.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Before trashing your battery, considering what a new one costs, IMHO if it can be jump started it may not be ruined.......I would put it on a regulated charger first for a few hours, then on a trickle charger for 36 to 48 hrs. and then have it tested. You have nothing to lose doing this ........AGM batteries are not like regular lead acid batteries , yours may be saveable .....Mike

AGM technology is essentially the same as a lead acid battery. The only difference is the electrolyte is not free to spill, but absorbed. This eliminates the need to maintain fluid levels, thus preventing a lot of premature failure caused by reflectance. But maintenance free does not mean the freedom from having to charge regularly. All lead acid batteries self discharge, and the best way to see longest life is to keep fully charged as often as possible.