Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default anyone try siping tires for better wet road traction

Just wondering if anyone has tried siping the Toyo or Kuhmo tires for better wet road traction Les Schwab offers siping for like twelve bucks per tire and really helps on snow,ice and wet roads it really improves stopping distance on wet or dry roads as well.
    they also claim increased tire life as well

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has tried siping the Toyo or Kuhmo tires for better wet road traction Les Schwab offers siping for like twelve bucks per tire and really helps on snow,ice and wet roads it really improves stopping distance on wet or dry roads as well.
    OK, What is "Siping" ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default i wouldn't but here it is

Spyder Garage

Siping is cutting small slits in the tyre tread blocks that are additional to the factory grooves & block pattern so that the sipes can move more water off the road surface and let the tyre grip better. Some sipe patterns supposedly improve braking and road holding on ice &/or wet roads, and some patterns are also said to improve tyre life by minimising tread block squirm as each block hits the road surface & then again as it leaves the road surface as the tyre rolls over it, so the tyre doesn't get as much heel/toe effect on the larger blocks cos the siping releases the pressures that create that. Seems to work most of the time.... but I haven't tried it on the Spyder tyres.... yet.

Spyder Garage

I didn't know anybody did this anymore at all, must be a northern thing.

Spyder Garage

Default Tread Wear

I've also heard that siping causes the tires to wear quicker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard that as well...
    Snoopy,
    It might have a bit more practical usage in the Winter; but the siping will also help if you get caught out in a real "Toad-Strangler" of a rainstorm...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Siping is generally for ice traction and there are several tire you can buy that have this. It also done to dirt track tires to increase traction on slicks for racing. I would never do this for Spyder tires unless.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Your name was "SethO"?
    Don't the Blizzaks use some pretty aggressive siping in their tread patterns?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've heard that as well...
    Snoopy,
    It might have a bit more practical usage in the Winter; but the siping will also help if you get caught out in a real "Toad-Strangler" of a rainstorm...
    Hopefully I never get caught in the rain w the Spyder, especially a downpour.

Especially since I have no rain gear .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Proper preparation, is the key to any enjoyable ride!
    Frogg Roggs, TourMaster, Firstgear...
    Even the ones fronm BRP do a real nice job!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, but I bought this as a fair weather toy. Don't plan on riding any iffy rainy days.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mwkess View Post
    I've also heard that siping causes the tires to wear quicker.
    Yep, and they tend to "chunk" as well depending on how close the sips are or how much siping is done. Usually, the more sipping the shorter the life of the tire.
    We used to do it once in awhile to a really aggressive mud tire on our jeeps that also served as daily driver machines. Mud tires are known for being horribly slick in the rain.

Since I try to avoid the rain like the plague I was actually looking at maybe doing a performance/track tire like a Toyo RA1.

Spyder Garage

I have sipped all my vehicles tires for years. Seems to extend tire life 10 - 20% (got 60k + out of my last set of Dakota tires) plus better traction and breaking. This is on 4 tired vehicles. Don't know the effect on Spyder. I don't think I will do it on my Spyder now but next set probably.

Spyder Garage

Is it the tread, or is it the weight of the Spyder in the rear that is causing the wet weather handling issues? Last fall my wife was following me in a heavy rain. I was on my HD Road Glide and she kept falling behind. When we got home she told me that she tried to keep up, but the back end would slide out as if it was hydoplanning. I had ridden in the rain with her on the back without issues - so I am thinking less weight on the back tire. The wide rear tire also increases the chance of hydoplanning as compaired to the 180mm on the Harley.

Don't know that snipping the tire would help without adding weight.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wide tire, wide contact patch will be MUCH more susceptible to hydro planing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I talked to this guy I know from out in Wasilla. He said not to go siping the tires. Said you get a real foul mouthful of rubber flavored air.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES I Do...

but you better know what your doing or have a pro do it, your tire milage will suffer because
    the tread moves more than with out the siping.... for those who do not know what siping is
    they mount your tire and wheel onto a machine and cut the tread from side to side on a new tire
    they may cut as deep ad 7 or 8/32 most tires come with 11/32 when new they cut many side to side cuts
    all the way around the tire... It works very well on wet pavement but not on snow or ice.
    Dave

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 02-21-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it is good why don't the tire manufacturers sell "pre-sipped" tires? There must be a reason. Anyone know why they don't?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Siping

Tire manufacturers do sipe winter tires such as the Blizzak as this gives better traction on ice and snow and rain.
    I think that the reason they don't sipe the basic all season tires is it cost's more to sipe.
    It is very common for people in the northwest to sipe there tires for winter travel instead of studded tires that have to be removed from your vehicle by April and they claim that the tires last longer as well.
    I would think that regardless of weight siping would help traction for the big fat tire on our Spyder's.
    I know that simply riding across wet grass and then pulling out onto the pavement I have done some pretty wicked fish tales.
    My Wife's RT is ready for a new back tire and I think that I will have it siped as living in the northwest we do quite often get caught in an occasional rain storm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire manufacturers do sipe winter tires such as the Blizzak as this gives better traction on ice and snow and rain.
    I think that the reason they don't sipe the basic all season tires is it cost's more to sipe.
    It is very common for people in the northwest to sipe there tires for winter travel instead of studded tires that have to be removed from your vehicle by April and they claim that the tires last longer as well.
    I would think that regardless of weight siping would help traction for the big fat tire on our Spyder's.
    I know that simply riding across wet grass and then pulling out onto the pavement I have done some pretty wicked fish tales.
    My Wife's RT is ready for a new back tire and I think that I will have it siped as living in the northwest we do quite often get caught in an occasional rain storm.
    where can I get tires siped?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Les schwa does siping

I know LesSchwab tires does siping I don't know if they are in California or not. there are Les Schwabs in Oregon and yes they carry the Kuhmo and Toyo tires and often they will special order brands such as BF goodrich for your car or truck