Thread: RIP Tom Clancy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default RIP Tom Clancy

I just read this in the European papers. This guy could tell a story! He'll be sorely missed.

Fair seas and following winds, my friend.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sad day indeed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool RIP Tom Clancy

The literary world will miss him as will I. I think I have read one of his books at least twice and maybe three times

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He will be missed...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have all his fiction works in hard cover and a couple of the non-fiction. Guess you could say I'm a fan. His works were so detailed that the movies they inspired, while good were no comparison. Especially liked the news article long ago about the "Red October" story, when Congress held hearings on his books for spilling government secrets. He showed where all were on the record and I would like to think he helped tighten up the intelligence community. Probably not the case, but I can dream....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was working in J3 at USCINCPAC (Operations at the U.S. Pacific Command for the civilians!) when "Hunt For Red October" came out. The boomers (ballistic missile submariners) I worked with were going nuts . . . all were convinced he had been given access to classified material! He just did a lot of research and was very close to several marks as he decided how he would apply known technology to hunt for submarines in his book! He was a heck of a story teller and will be missed by all except Congress , as he had a pretty low opinion of Congressmen, and voiced it, frequently!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by denviola View Post
    I have all his fiction works in hard cover and a couple of the non-fiction. Guess you could say I'm a fan. His works were so detailed that the movies they inspired, while good were no comparison. Especially liked the news article long ago about the "Red October" story, when Congress held hearings on his books for spilling government secrets. He showed where all were on the record and I would like to think he helped tighten up the intelligence community. Probably not the case, but I can dream....
    Most of mine are paperback, but I agree with the fan part. I was in the Intel Community and it was the talk of how close he was to real things.
    I will miss his books. RIP Tom Clancy. You have earned it.
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an original (hand crank!) I-Pad and read books at work when it't not too busy. I have almost all of his books and I do
    re-read them from time to time. I did like the movies that were made - favorite is still Hunt for Red October.

Spyder Garage

He was my favorite action writer. A sad day indeed.