Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mpg record!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New mpg record!

We took a ride yesterday from Portland, Oregon with our local chapter up to Timberline Lodge, N on highway 35 to Hood River, 84 W including the historic highway loop and home to Beaverton. It was about 200 miles and my actual mpg was 42.5! That has been the best I have clocked since buying the bike! YEAH!
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

That's a little hard to believe !! Were you also riding 2 up? I don't think I have ever gotten better than 32 or 33 mpg on a trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Amazing..!!

Best we have done open road no lights or traffic double up cruising at 5,500/6,000 manual trans was 37 mpg's. Regular ryding 30/32 mpg's. Do have some mods...you did amazing..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I always got higher MPG when riding in the mountains. My BMW GS1200 got 55MPG riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    We took a ride yesterday from Portland, Oregon with our local chapter up to Timberline Lodge, N on highway 35 to Hood River, 84 W including the historic highway loop and home to Beaverton. It was about 200 miles and my actual mpg was 42.5! That has been the best I have clocked since buying the bike! YEAH!
    That is US gallons not Imperial gallons right?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My personal best was also just a bit over 37 mpg...
    But over 42?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen over 40 also it can be done mine was pure gas super and startron

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALSO NEW AND BETTER RECORD

HOW'S THIS 58.327 MPG based on a 1/2 tank of gas going down 21 % grade with a 14 knot tailwind ............and this is about the same accuracy as yours......If you want to measure MPG's use about 100 tankfulls and you still won't be really close .......Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't doubt the mileage at all. I'm not familiar with that country but on Google Maps it appears to be mountainous country. I normally average between 28 - 30 MPG but I've gotten over 40 MPG riding two up in the mountains around Taos and Red River, New Mexico. I don't doubt that bmwlarry got 42.5 MPG, especially if he was just cruising and enjoying that beautiful scenery. I bet he knows how to calculate fuel mileage as well. Cotton

Spyder Garage

The 42 mph does sound like the record at this time. If you can repeat that on a consistent basis--we need to know the secrets.

My best, 34 mpg, and my average 30-31. We ride one up, and shift at 5500 most of the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

tell how you achieved this record?

are you guys just calculating at the pump or is there a menu i dont know about?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    tell how you achieved this record?

are you guys just calculating at the pump or is there a menu i dont know about?
    Most zero a trip meter at fill up. Take miles driven / gallons put in to fill, and you come up with the average mpg. EG: 150 miles / 5 gallons = 30 mpg. I just used rounded numbers here to make the math easier for the example. It is important to fill to the same level each time so that you are comparing apples with apples.

There is a program that you can use on the internet--but I have always used the figure it out yourself method. I do this almost every fill. It's the accountant in me I guess.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you use real gas (ie no corn) and use the pure-gas app on your iPhone or Droid there is a handy calculator in the app as well. Makes easy work out of tracking your mileage and helps you find the stations where you can get real gas.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Most zero a trip meter at fill up. Take miles driven / gallons put in to fill, and you come up with the average mpg. EG: 150 miles / 5 gallons = 30 mpg. I just used rounded numbers here to make the math easier for the example. It is important to fill to the same level each time so that you are comparing apples with apples.

There is a program that you can use on the internet--but I have always used the figure it out yourself method. I do this almost every fill. It's the accountant in me I guess.
    That's the way I do it, too. I usually write my mileage down on the gas receipt and stick it in a pocket. Then I use a calculator to figure it after I get home. No doubt there will be some discrepancies because it is really hard to fill it to exactly the same level every time but over time it will equal out. Cotton

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

its such a simple thing for the computer to calculate on the fly, I am not sure why its not built into a $20K vehicle... along with a functioning analog gas guage.. :-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    its such a simple thing for the computer to calculate on the fly, I am not sure why its not built into a $20K vehicle... along with a functioning analog gas guage.. :-)
    Those computer mileage figures are only as good as the accuracy of the sensors that feed them. My Buick is always 1-2 mpg too high. Why? I surmise the fuel-flow meter just isn't accurate enough.

On low-capacity tanks like the Spyder, the accuracy of a single fill is always dubious. I've kept records manually since purchase by putting the odometer reading, x.xx gallons figure, and total $ into a simple spreadsheet which computes the current mpg and total average for me, as well as the cost per mile. My totals for over 5,600 miles now: 30.4 mpg and $.12 per mile.

YMMV!
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I got 41.8 MPG once but my average is still 26.8 MPG so unless you can get that tank to tank... you can click on my fuelly icon to see the tank by tank for me.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default mpg vs fun meter

Have no idea what I get in mpg. I just go until it is near the E.
    I do know every time I throw my leg over the seat my fun meter is pegged!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bmwlarry

I live in Sherwood and am thinking of buying an rt next year. Where did you buy yours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

here ya go! It is 41.6 actually now that I see it again. My memory is not what it used to be. By the way, this is actual not calculated by bike computer!
    photo.jpg
    Last edited by bmwlarry; 07-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought mine used with 250 miles in Ca. I would recommend you buy from ProCaliber in Longview, WA!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chief One View Post
    Have no idea what I get in mpg. I just go until it is near the E.
    I do know every time I throw my leg over the seat my fun meter is pegged!
    Ditto... I did it for about a month. Was seeing an average of 29 MPG. I decided that taking the time to record the data was interfering with my fun, so I just ride until I need gas...

Now I only log mileage when I think there may be a problem, or on a long solo trip. When I do, I actually record it the way CincySpyder showed me his method.

At fill up, get out the phone, take a picture of the pump reading, and the odometer. Then save for later calculations...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE

here ya go! It is 41.6 actually now that I see it again. My memory is not what it used to be. By the way, this is actual not calculated by bike computer!
    photo.jpg
    From looking at your OTHER mileage figures I'm betting on July 5, you didn't actually FILL YOUR TANK.........JMHO.....Mike

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The proper way to figure milage is to throw out the high and low then average the rest..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    The proper way to figure milage is to throw out the high and low then average the rest..
    With the small tank on the Spyder and no firm way to fill to the same level each time a proper way is to use total gallons and total miles, if you throw anything out your losing data.

JT