Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire for RT LTD

Has anyone replaced a rear tire on their RT LTD? If so, what tire did you go with and how do you like it? I got about 7000 miles on the original factory tire, and I'm looking for something that will last longer without sacrificing performance. Any suggestions?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Falken

Quote Originally Posted by akaspyderman View Post
    Has anyone replaced a rear tire on their RT LTD? If so, what tire did you go with and how do you like it? I got about 7000 miles on the original factory tire, and I'm looking for something that will last longer without sacrificing performance. Any suggestions?
    I just replaced mine with a Falken ZE512. Same size as OEM and I like the tread pattern as it seems to ryde the same as OEM. Discount tire online $77.00 delivered to the house. Walmart mounted $9.00. Ride Now and Nitrogen filled $20.00.
    More mileage Priceless LOL C-YA RL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I intalled a Toyo Proxes 4, same size as the OEM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Falken ZE 912 here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure

It would be great if those running non stock tires would post their tire pressure along with the tire they are running.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    It would be great if those running non stock tires would post their tire pressure along with the tire they are running.
    25 LBS in all tires. Works for me C-YA RL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

18 psi up front in the Kendas
    25 psi out back...

Spyder Garage

Replaced the original rear tire at 11K. Now have 20K and it still looks almost new. Hope to get over 25K on it. It is a BFG G-Force 225/50/15. I understand they are discontinued, but if you look at the specks on a 205/60/15 BFG Advantage T/A the Revolutions Per Miles are about the same as the 225/50/15 BFG. It is a stronger tire...2 ply wall and 3 ply thread so I run it at 28 PSI and 40 PSI in the shock air bag.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dvantage+T%2FA
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rear tires

read about the MICHELIN HYDROEDGE 215/60/15. some have said they have very good luck with them. tried to order one today from local tire dealer but was told they no longer make these, so is there another michelin tire others have used? will need tire on spydeee soon so trying to figure this all out thanks

Spyder Garage

I put a General Altimax RT 205-60-15 on last week and currently running 19 front 25 rear. Started with 30 but honestly can't tell any diff. Checked it today with a GPS at 50, 60, 70 mph and all speeds were 1 mph faster than the GPS. I chose the General for its 70K warranty so it should certainly outlast the 11,200 I got out of the Kenda.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default tread depth

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I put a General Altimax RT 205-60-15 on last week and currently running 19 front 25 rear. Started with 30 but honestly can't tell any diff. Checked it today with a GPS at 50, 60, 70 mph and all speeds were 1 mph faster than the GPS. I chose the General for its 70K warranty so it should certainly outlast the 11,200 I got out of the Kenda.
    At what tread depth, in the center, did you replace the tire? I've got 11,275 as we speak and mine is 4 mm in back and fronts are 6 mm. Ownera manual says to replace the rear at 4 and front at 2.5 mm. Who's gonna do 4? That sounds nuts to me.

Any input??

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Tuck, I didn't measure the depth but it had worn down and slightly into the wear marks. Prob could have got another 1K out of it, but that would have been pushing it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ulflyer;432949]Tuck, I didn't measure the depth but it had worn down and slightly into the wear marks. QUOTE]
    Once you hit the wear marks it's time to start getting ready to buy a new tire...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 4mm tread

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;432951]
    Tuck, I didn't measure the depth but it had worn down and slightly into the wear marks. QUOTE]
    Once you hit the wear marks it's time to start getting ready to buy a new tire...
    I agree, but the wear marks are around 4 mm 0n the rear and the tire has 11 mm or so when new. 2 mm seems to be the minimum tread rule of thumb, right or wrong, mandated by many states and generally recommended by bike and car companies. Coming up on 12,000 miles, so guess I'll replace the rear at that time. I've made a list of the tires folks are using and it covers 10 different specific tire brands for the rear. Guess I'll get some knobbie tires this time so I can go muddin with the ATVs - yea, what a great idea!! Maybe not.

BTW, some dude has put huge tires all around on a new RSS and it's at the dealer's because it's driving the computer on the bike nuts. I guess 20 inch tires don't make for a happy marriage. The chrome wheels and tires must have cost a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills too, plus the mega cost for the monster stereo system.

Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 03-29-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I intalled a Toyo Proxes 4, same size as the OEM.
    Got my Toyo Proxes 4 ordered today from local tire shop. Talked to Can Am dealer today also and they will install an balance it, check bike over for $ 99.00. Sounds like I can't afford not to take it to them. Now, just like Jamaica mon no worries.

Spyder Garage

rcdurango: price sounds about like what my shop charged; one hour labor to mount, bal, adj belt. I watched the mech do it and it took about 20-30 minutes max!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

rcdurango: price sounds about like what my shop charged; one hour labor to mount, bal, adj belt. I watched the mech do it and it took about 20-30 minutes max!
    Sounds like a fair price to me. I know if it was me doing most likely it would be all day job and not sure I would feel comfortable not knowing if I missed something. I plan to watch tech. do this job so that next time I might be able to do it myself. Most of the time if
    I watch something done once I then feel comfortable doing it myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    read about the MICHELIN HYDROEDGE 215/60/15. some have said they have very good luck with them. tried to order one today from local tire dealer but was told they no longer make these, so is there another michelin tire others have used? will need tire on spydeee soon so trying to figure this all out thanks
    There seems to be multiple sites offering them on the internet when you do a Google search. Have a set on my Prius and just turning over 60000 miles with allot of tread still left.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I went with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S for the front in the OEM size 165/65R14 and the Kumho Ecsta AST also in OEM 225/50R15 on my RT, really like the Michelin's in the rain.

Spyder Garage

Default tire replacement

Quote Originally Posted by akaspyderman View Post
    replaced my rear tire at 8000 miles. replaced thru the dealer who orders them thru BRP. Keep 25 ponds in the rear.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I just replaced mine with a Falken ZE512. Same size as OEM and I like the tread pattern as it seems to ryde the same as OEM. Discount tire online $77.00 delivered to the house. Walmart mounted $9.00. Ride Now and Nitrogen filled $20.00.
    More mileage Priceless LOL C-YA RL
    Randy, is this the tire ? 225/60R-15 96H B
    Jim Lemkow
    2012 RT Limited Brown with Tan Corbin Lamonster style seat,
    two Boys slip on pipes, fender lights, cup holder, seal floor boards, Elka Shocks

2013 STS - Elka Shocks, Two Bothers Exhaust..lots of lights

Spyder Garage

Default 23000 on originals

Going in tomorrow to replace all 3 on the 2011 RT. Rotated the fronts once at 17,000 and have 0.1 tread left on the right, and down to the wear bars on the left and rear tire. 17 psi in the fronts and 28 in the rear.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlemkow View Post
    Randy, is this the tire ? 225/60R-15 96H B
    225/50R-15...