Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Lamonster Hand Brake

I like the cable idea over the hydraulic, but I don't like kinking or pushing the cable if the foot pedal is compressed. How about this variation of the plate for the hand brake? The hand brake lever can be spring loaded via the cable, or at the lever itself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

twodog 185, Hand brake cable..I too like the cable idea but I have a similar idea that requires only one plate at the brake pedal end..The plate would look very similar to yours with a slot milled in the plate that is closed on both ends. You would need a cable that has a threaded stud on the lower end and you would need a clevis attached to the cable and the clevis pin would ride in the milled slot..No cable kinking or binding..when you push on the foot brake the clevis pin would follow the slot in the welded on bracket..What do you think ??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Larryd,

It sounds good. Instead of the open end, you'd have a sliding clevis in a closed slot. I can't even find a cable with a beaded end, much less a threaded end. Still looking though. I don't have a garage full of spare parts. I tried the local rocket shop, the parts guy was a numbers guy, not an idea guy. I'll do this though. I hope BRP comes out with a hand brake add as the SE5 comes out. With the automatic, you wouldn't even need a foot brake because the foot shifter would disappear. Nothing but highway pegs and scenery.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

There is another, more pressing, reason for this mod as I see it. If one continues to ride two-wheelers (as I will), the ability to continue to use a "front brake" lever allows you to maintain the habits required for the safe riding of both types of bikes/trikes/roadsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin
    I don't get it. The foot brake on the Spyder is for the back or front? You installed a HAND brake for the FRONT? So does this mean that when you press on the foot break, it is ONLY for the back? Or does it work for BOTH front and back? Sorry if I'm asking something that seems basic.

Derwin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Twodog 185, My two older Honda Atv's both have rear brake cables with threaded ends on the lower end and beaded ends for the brake handle end....they go from the left handlebar brake handle to the rear axle..they are 88 trx 300 and 98 trx 450..I need to get one and measure the overall length...Lamonster said they need to be about 77" or 78"..

I just ordered a Honda cable #43460-HNO-A-00..TRX 450 rear hand brake cable, beaded top end threaded lower end, 80" oal $16.79 + PA tax..

I will find or make a clevis.

Lemonster used a Suzuki M109 clutch cable with some modifications..beaded on both ends..

I won't put my highway foot pegs on till I get this hand brake deal installed.

larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude
    There is another, more pressing, reason for this mod as I see it. If one continues to ride two-wheelers (as I will), the ability to continue to use a "front brake" lever allows you to maintain the habits required for the safe riding of both types of bikes/trikes/roadsters.

That's the main reason I did this mod. :bigthumbsup:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Larryd,

Thanks for the info on the cable. The spring attachment to a clevis is a far better idea. I spent 35 years grabbing a front brake...I'd feel better knowing it's available.

thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the need to do this mod if you ride other bikes. When I ride my Yamaha trike conversions (see my photo) I find myself stopping with the foot pedal rear brake only, because I have gotten accustomed to riding the Spyder. This especially applies to me because I'm riding another front wheel trike (tadpole type) but the foot is only the rear and the hand brake is only the front, and I should be using both.

I think it is time for me to start taking a serious look at doing one of the hand brake mods.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too am awaiting on the bolt on version for the non welder but somewhat mechanically inclined. Keep us posted. This is an oversight by BRP in my opinion as many customers may actually ride both a Spyder AND a Motorcycle and the front brake first skill is one that could be deadly if lost and switching back to a two wheeler. I almost ran out into a busy street on my demo as being an avid motorcyclist my first instinct was to "OH, ****!....no front brake lever!"
    Even though I already knew it was not there I went for it anyhowe!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A hand brake is definitely needed. Whether it operates just the front brakes or both front & rear. Although I prefer one that operates both front & rear. There are many reasons for this.
    Last edited by Putt-Putt; 09-08-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Every time I ride my Spyder, I'm glad I did the hand brake mod. I very seldom use the foot brake now. MM 3" risers are next.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    A hand brake is definitely needed. Whether it operates just the front brakes or both front & rear. Although I prefer one that operates both front & rear. There are many reasons for this.

Now who is making one? Both front and rear operation preferred.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey GA SPYDER. I'm in Augusta too. Saw you driving off from the shop one day. Who did your hand brake? I want to put one on mine when it gets in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster,

Any issues with the hand brake cable getting stuck?
    So far are there any safety issues?

Khris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I can't do this mod on my own, but it is very much needed, I got in to a fender bender and could of been avoided if i had the usual hand brake. Anyone know where I can get it done.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Nice job. :bigthumbsup: I didn't think about running hard line to the slave but that will work great if you then run a flex to the master. :bigthumbsup:
    What the hell you guys talking about? Running to the slave, then run to the master, does'nt sound good, to us Yankees up north! Where's the "HAND BRAKE KIT" for us mechanically handicap.
    Last edited by Motza; 10-23-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry about being so slow on a reply.
    Did it myself. Got a buzz box in the garage. Followed lamonster's post on the how-to. Aredy had the M109 stock clutch cable. purchased a dirt bike clutch lever assembly and it works great!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I really would like a hydraulic front brake KIT; that works all three brakes off existing system. No loss of VSS system that way.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So what are the exact parts a person would need to have this MOD done? For the ones that have already dont this MOD which parts would you recommend for the ones that are'nt techincal wizards YET?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default hand brake

did the hand brake according to lamonsters specs and after 750 miles, still going strong...i never use the footbrake now

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand brake modification - no welding required

I have spend many hours designing a kit, based on the original idea of Lamonster, that could be made without the need to weld brackets onto the footbrake pedal.

My design uses a braket that pivots from a stud and wraps round the underside of the brake pedal and into a position where cable can be attached. As there is only a 10mm gap around the foot pedal boss I had to make the bracket go around both sides of support casting which holds the micro switches for the brake light and over-travel detection.

When the brake pedal is depressed the lever justs hangs there and the cable is kept under tension.

Its easier to look at the photos to get an idea how it works. It took me a day to make and about 2 hours to fit and it works a treat......

Handbrake assy 1

What do you think of it.....

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

you are one impressive old fart....

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Very nice. That's next on my list once I get through fiddling with exhausts.

Thanks for the great pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I have spend many hours designing a kit, based on the original idea of Lamonster, that could be made without the need to weld brackets onto the footbrake pedal.

My design uses a braket that pivots from a stud and wraps round the underside of the brake pedal and into a position where cable can be attached. As there is only a 10mm gap around the foot pedal boss I had to make the bracket go around both sides of support casting which holds the micro switches for the brake light and over-travel detection.

When the brake pedal is depressed the lever justs hangs there and the cable is kept under tension.

Its easier to look at the photos to get an idea how it works. It took me a day to make and about 2 hours to fit and it works a treat......

Handbrake assy 1

What do you think of it.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Thats a real clean design. Very nice.

Spyder Garage

I hope I have those skills when I'm a old fart.

So how do you like it so far?