Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 Wheel motorcycle ride through a blizzard

motorcycle ride through a blizzard http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/29/i...6pLid%3D251888
    Last edited by brodyson; 01-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brodyson View Post
    interesting setup. never heard of this brand of bike http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/29/i...6pLid%3D251888
    Ural has been around forever. The Russians copied BMW design with the flat twin and added the side car and a solid axle to the side car for two wheel drive. they are still sold today with updated engine, electrics and brakes. "Google Ural Motorcycles"
    Last edited by StanProff; 01-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're a pretty tough and proven design; some of the best seventy-year-old technology that you can buy today.... ( updated; of course!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I looked hard at the Ural (2 wheel drive) Before i bought a Spyder in 08, Not enough engine to get up
    the hills here in N.Jersey. Top speed on a good day was 60/63 MPG. ''If'' they ever put a 1200cc in it'
    I'll buy it.!

Spyder Garage

Default Will never happen....

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I looked hard at the Ural (2 wheel drive) Before i bought a Spyder in 08, Not enough engine to get up
    the hills here in N.Jersey. Top speed on a good day was 60/63 MPG. ''If'' they ever put a 1200cc in it'
    I'll buy it.!
    1200cc on the URAL that is. I grew up in Russia and my grandfather and uncles had these. Great machines and have been put through a nightmare of Russian weather conditions and roads in general. These bikes were tough and they were built to last! However, I am not 100% sure if what is being sold now is the same thing as what my grandfather rode in the 70s. I doubt very much that today's bikes are as tough as they were. On top of that, URAL, although a mimic of 1940s BMW, had all lot of modifications done by the Russian military to them, which was later incorporated into URAL and DNEPR motorcycles produced in Russia. Yava (or JAVA) was another great motorcycle, which Russians produced with Czechoslovakia in the 70s and is still very popular in Russia.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juliantrost View Post
    1200cc on the URAL that is. I grew up in Russia and my grandfather and uncles had these. Great machines and have been put through a nightmare of Russian weather conditions and roads in general. These bikes were tough and they were built to last! However, I am not 100% sure if what is being sold now is the same thing as what my grandfather rode in the 70s. I doubt very much that today's bikes are as tough as they were. On top of that, URAL, although a mimic of 1940s BMW, had all lot of modifications done by the Russian military to them, which was later incorporated into URAL and DNEPR motorcycles produced in Russia. Yava (or JAVA) was another great motorcycle, which Russians produced with Czechoslovakia in the 70s and is still very popular in Russia.
    Could the JAVA/YAVA been sold as a Jawa in the US. I do not remember much, but they did sell Jawas in the US.
    AOL has quite bit of (mis ) information on this vid. I looked at buying a side car rig, but my big foot did not work well on the brake area. I needed a bit more power as well. Urals are one of the few that mount a spare tire, fit all thre wheels
    Oldmanzues

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    the hills here in N.Jersey. Top speed on a good day was 60/63 MPH. ''If'' they ever put a 1200cc in it'
    I'll buy it.!
    I didn't know they had cliffs you could ride off in NJ.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a few hills in north Jersey, Nothing that a normal Trike can't handle,
    But the Ural will struggle and make you want to get off and push it over the top!!
    [Or push it off the cliff]
    Sought of like driving a overloaded dump truck up a steep grade, Hopefully you'll
    make it to the top 'But it won't be pretty.
    Last edited by boborgera; 01-03-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Could the JAVA/YAVA been sold as a Jawa in the US. I do not remember much, but they did sell Jawas in the US.
    AOL has quite bit of (mis ) information on this vid. I looked at buying a side car rig, but my big foot did not work well on the brake area. I needed a bit more power as well. Urals are one of the few that mount a spare tire, fit all thre wheels
    Oldmanzues
    That would be them! Not sure why V changed to W in US, but definitely them. The problem was that back in late 70s and early 80s it only came with 350CC engine, so allot of young kids in Russia had to modify them quite a bit to get descent riding machines out of them. I believe now they make them in 600CC. To be honest, never seen them in US, but seen many of them in Germany, Brussels, UK, Ireland and Israel.

Spyder Garage

Ural's are still alive and can be bought in the US. There is a place in Anchorage where they are sold. I have seen a couple riding about town here.

My thoughts on the brand: They are neat looking and very utilitarian. Cost is very reasonable--under $12,000 was the last information that I had. Based on ratings from the cycle magazines--they are a bit underpowered for highway driving over 55 mph. They come with a very large tool kit, which may be needed more often than other brands.

Were I to have several motorcycles to park in my garage, I would probably have one in my stable--just because of the "different" factor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

magical member
    Spyder Garage

I looked hard at these, there is a huge Ural dealer here in northern MA. I like the look and they seem to be built solid enough, the gear up is my favorite model.

However I was put off with some of the horror stories over maintenance. They require an oil change every 1500 km, thats an oli change every 932 miles. They seem to hold there price pretty well too.

harry

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Ural has a limited edition that floats, Comes with an oar.
    About 14k.

Gotta hand it toThose wild and crazy Ruskies.
    Last edited by boborgera; 01-03-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

I was checking these out when the Spyder was introduced, the 62 mph top speed and 28 mpg got me uninterested in a hurry. If I remember, there was one at Spyderfest 2 that the owner had put an 1150 oilhead in.
    Monday I was at Cycle Outfitters when a H-D/sidecar rig from Lafayette pulled in, didn't get to talk to the rider though.

john

Spyder Garage
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I bought my Triumph Bonneville at Motorcycles of Charlotte, NC. While visiting a few months ago, I checked out a good variety of the Urals that were in stock. The off the wall accessories those things come with is amazing, shovels, gas cans, side car windshield, etc.
    I had a discussion with one of the salesmen regarding the two wheel drive version. He recommends that option for straight line cruising only.
    Not my cup of tea for practicallity, but if I could lots of toys, why not?