Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How long can I ride in Limp Mode?

Well considering I'll be saving up for a few months to get my Spyder fixed, I've started riding it around town again in Limp Mode. I just missed it too much. Yeah, I'm stuck at 3500 RPMs and 50mph top speed, but that's enough to get me from home to work and back. I'm just kind of wondering if I'm doing any more damage. But I also figure if the VCM went bad and I have to buy another anyway--then who cares? I just don't want to hurt anything else. It just pains me to see my Spyder sitting in my garage.

Thanks,
    Andy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do you know why it's in limp mode? It may be something simple and easy to correct. It could also be something like no brakes! I would not take any chances unless you know exactly what's going on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know the answer but have you thought about having the update done that would let you go 60 in limp mode?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I don't know the answer but have you thought about having the update done that would let you go 60 in limp mode?
    I've never heard of that. Do you by chance have the service bulletin number. The next time I'm at the dealer I would like to tell him about it and double check my spyder.

Spyder Garage

Have not heard about the 60mph limp mode either.

I don't think its a good idea to be riding in limp mode unless completely necessary. Something has made it kick in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Go ahead drive it.

IMO I don't see a problem with driving it. But you do have to understand ABS and Stability Control will not work.

Did you check out the used VCM on Ebay last week?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow 60mph limp mode! That sounds awesome, especially in my situation. Thanks for the input. To answer a couple of questions:
    1. I saw something about a VCM on EBay, but I'm worried about shelling out that cash when they're not 100% sure that is the problem. They think it could be one of several things. Apparently the VCM just doesn't go bad, but my dealer isn't convinced and if I get all the other potential things fixed first and then it is the VCM I would have burnt that $$. So my dealer said they'd work with me on parts and labor and BRP agreed to help some too. But it still won't be cheap--hence the saving. I'm hoping for February!

Thanks again for your input!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry but I don't know the bulletin number. I had the update done at Cowtown in late August
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I'd ride it in Limp Mode to another dealer.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    Well considering I'll be saving up for a few months to get my Spyder fixed, I've started riding it around town again in Limp Mode. I just missed it too much. Yeah, I'm stuck at 3500 RPMs and 50mph top speed, but that's enough to get me from home to work and back. I'm just kind of wondering if I'm doing any more damage. But I also figure if the VCM went bad and I have to buy another anyway--then who cares? I just don't want to hurt anything else. It just pains me to see my Spyder sitting in my garage.

Thanks,
    Andy
    I assume your out of warranty

If it is the VCM and depending on how many miles on it ,You still might be covered under the Federal emissions warranty. That warranty is longer than BRP's.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

If it is the VCM and depending on how many miles on it ,You still might be covered under the Federal emissions warranty. That warranty is longer than BRP's.
    I've never heard of the Federal Emissions warranty. What is that? Mine is an '09 and yes, I'm out of warranty from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

I'm confused, (easy to do) how would the VCM be covered by Federal Emissions Warranty. I would consider it part of the braking system and don't know how it could be tied to emissions.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I'm confused, (easy to do) how would the VCM be covered by Federal Emissions Warranty. I would consider it part of the braking system and don't know how it could be tied to emissions.
    It has nothing to do with emissions. ECM, yes, but the VCM, no.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

let me ask a stupid question...Did the dealer hook your Spyder up to BUDS? and what was the outcome....have you tried to reset the computer? How many miles? What symptoms are going on ?

Spyder Garage

Andy,
    I think if I was in your shoes and I was just riding around town, I would just ride it till it crapped or I came up with the $ to fix it. This may narrow down your chances of getting the right fix the first time. Good luck and hope you get it fixed soon.

PS. Keep a trailer handy just in case.

Ray

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ray, Flamingo--thanks. Yeah I'm just going to keep riding it around and saving up my money until I can get it fixed. Snowboarding season is almost here, so it's going to get harder to save!

Symptoms are: ABS failure, VSS failure, Suction fault, VCM fault.

BRP says the VCM isn't likely to fail and recommended step 1 is to replace the Master Cylinder. But if that doesn't work, then I'll have to replace the VCM, which is adding more $$ to the process. Whereas if I replace the VCM and that doesn't clear it, then we know it's probably the Master Cylinder. It's a calculated risk I guess. Dealer is so confident it's the VCM that they're willing to work with me if that's not the problem.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Once I had an ABS failure...VSS failure went into Limp Mode....crazy as it is...something ( we think a screw from under seat) fell out and bent 6 sprockets on the ABS wheel...so the senor could not read it correctly...we took a hammer and chisel to fix it...so check the ABS wheel real close and make sure none are bent...you have to look real good...just a thought....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Once I had an ABS failure...VSS failure went into Limp Mode....crazy as it is...something ( we think a screw from under seat) fell out and bent 6 sprockets on the ABS wheel...so the senor could not read it correctly...we took a hammer and chisel to fix it...so check the ABS wheel real close and make sure none are bent...you have to look real good...just a thought....
    Hmmm...Guess I need to figure out where the heck the ABS wheel is!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    Hmmm...Guess I need to figure out where the heck the ABS wheel is!!
    There is an ABS sensor at each wheel, and a sensor ring attached to each wheel. The early GS has two sensors in the rear. There should be an ABS gauge to set the gap, in your toolkit. A good dealer would have checked the ABS sensors and ring, but it is worth a second look.

Spyder Garage

Default Easy to see and check

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is an ABS sensor at each wheel, and a sensor ring attached to each wheel. The early GS has two sensors in the rear. There should be an ABS gauge to set the gap, in your toolkit. A good dealer would have checked the ABS sensors and ring, but it is worth a second look.
    They are easy to see and check and as Scotty said the max, min gauges are in your tool kit. I have an 09 like yours and have 2 sensors on the rear wheel. I would be very surprised if this is your problem and the dealer tech missed it, but it is possible.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How about swapping a known good VCM from another bike before spending the cash on a new one?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you pulled up all of the active codes? (I didn't recall seeing that in here; but my eyes aresn't that great... )
    It's probably not going to hurt anything by riding it; but it's also sure not helping either... What if you get jammed up in traffic and run over when the dreaded, "Orange Screen Of Death" pops up at an inopportune moment?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

According to my dealer, my VCM failed, too... but limp home mode only let me go a staggering 20 mph. That was actually a bit dangerous, considering I was on a 70 mph interstate. I also have a 09 model.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The one time mine was in Limp Mode it was the oil pump sensor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDuck View Post
    According to my dealer, my VCM failed, too... but limp home mode only let me go a staggering 20 mph. That was actually a bit dangerous, considering I was on a 70 mph interstate. I also have a 09 model.
    So what did you do?