Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default mastering the Twisties

Check out the post (Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners)

I would add a few suggestions of my own:

There is a tendency to lean into the corners thinking it will make the turning easier. I found remaining upright and not leaning into the corner, hugging the body with my inside knee and planting my outside foot on the outside peg works better.
    Try it both ways and decide for yourself. One inexpensive mod is the Seal Pup floorboards, which lets the rider solidly plant his or her whole outside foot improves the turning. Also, keep the rpm between 4000-5000 in as low a gear that will allow that rpm range...use the tranny to slow you instead of the brake. If the rpm drops below 4000, downshift.

My best mods for mastering the twisties are the SealPups floorboards and, either adjusting the stock shocks to maximum or, Elka shocks. And check out the anti-sway bar

One of my friends put on larger tires (185/60R-14 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S) from tire rack.com. Notice BRP increased the tire size on the 2013.

He has the standard shocks, anti-sway bar along with the larger tires and his RT turns easier than mine. Putting the tires on tomorrow.

The rest is learning to trust your Spyder.
    Last edited by Ride Master; 10-21-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    There is a tendency to lean into the corners thinking it will make the turning easier. I found remaining upright and not leaning into the corner, hugging the body with my inside knee and planting my outside foot on the outside peg works better.
    is valid for RS also; enter into the tight corner with 2nd or 1st gear, try to steer into the skid (drift).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good info, thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have found that leaning actually helps me...it takes pressure off my back. I still hug the body with my legs and plant my foot, but leaning lets me turn quite a bit harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I would disagree with the not leaning idea! If you go into a corner hard enough and don't lean so as to transfer weight to that inside wheel you are going to lift that wheel off the ground. Leaning isn't to make it easier it's to transfer weight. You are also counteracting the physics that wants to move your body in the opposite direction.

But learning to trust the capabilities of your Spyder is also a VERY important step!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree with Mr. Orange

You must not be riding the twistees very fast if you think you don't need to lean. There is no mod that eliminates the need for active riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont pushing it.jpg Take a lesson from the Master...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I would disagree with the not leaning idea! If you go into a corner hard enough and don't lean so as to transfer weight to that inside wheel you are going to lift that wheel off the ground. Leaning isn't to make it easier it's to transfer weight. You are also counteracting the physics that wants to move your body in the opposite direction.
    +1. You should transfer your weight to the inside wheel to keep it down. That gives Nanny one less thing to think about when taking the curves hard. Not saying she won't kick in to slow you down if she feels the need...

Me, I like to ride like a drunk monkey, hanging off the inside, getting maximum weight transfer, being one with my ryde. It's a rush!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Me, I like to ride like a drunk monkey, hanging off the inside, getting maximum weight transfer, being one with my ryde.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I have a RS..with larger tires...RT shocks...and I lean in the twisties...as Yazz say's...+1. You should transfer your weight to the inside wheel to keep it down. That gives Nanny one less thing to think about when taking the curves hard. Not saying she won't kick in to slow you down if she feels the need...

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

"My name Cheetah and I have problem"
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Leaning moves your center of gravity to the inside. In turn it keeps the outside tire from overloading by transferring some weight to the inside tire. This is the same effect that a sway bar has, weight transfer to the inside to reduce vehicle lean and enables faster cornering. If I'm going slow I might not lean very much, but if I'm cornering fast I lean that sucker like snowmobile and ATV racers do. And why not? The Spyder is just a snowmobile for the pavement.

The other key to mastering the twisties? Slow in = fast out. I don't mean park it in the corner, tip toe around, and then hammering the throttle like some harley riders do. Rather, get all your braking done before the corner, select the proper gear, and then smoothly crack open the throttle as you pass the apex and straighten out. Riders who charge into corners, scrubbing off all sorts of speed braking, and then hammer the throttle are just wearing themselves out and their equipment.
    Last edited by asp125; 10-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    CMA... No simians under the influence have ever ridden Spydee, nor do I condone others to do so.

Maybe Asp125 said it better "but if I'm cornering fast I lean that sucker like snowmobile and ATV racers do."
    Last edited by Yazz; 10-24-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I ride the twisties hard and fast

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post
    You must not be riding the twistees very fast if you think you don't need to lean. There is no mod that eliminates the need for active riding.

I ride the twisties hard and fast and love accelerating out of them. Like I said, try it for yourself and decide. I have tried every possible riding style over the past 3 years with my 2010 RT and my 2012 RT. I ride with a bunch of maniacs that like to ride fast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    Check out the post (Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners)

I would add a few suggestions of my own:

Try it both ways and decide for yourself. One inexpensive mod is the Seal Pup floorboards, which lets the rider solidly plant his or her whole outside foot improves the turning. Also, keep the rpm between 4000-5000 in as low a gear that will allow that rpm range...use the tranny to slow you instead of the brake. If the rpm drops below 4000, downshift.

My best mods for mastering the twisties are the SealPups floorboards and, either adjusting the stock shocks to maximum or, Elka shocks. And check out the anti-sway bar

One of my friends put on larger tires (185/60R-14 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S) from tire rack.com. Notice BRP increased the tire size on the 2013.

He has the standard shocks, anti-sway bar along with the larger tires and his RT turns easier than mine. Putting the tires on tomorrow.

The rest is learning to trust your Spyder.
    Riding styles are going to vary with each individual... just look at the pro-racers. While some look the same, occasionally you'll find a few with a different way they position themselves.

I would say for someone like you that rides a lot, and has developed their own personal style that works for you, then there wouldn't be any reason to change it. I position myself a lot different on my HD Ultra when on twisties than most riders do; but it works well for me and I can make the Ultra corner like it wasn't designed to do.

However, for those that haven't developed their own style... leaning to the inside of the Spyder on a curve is recommended in my opinion for a few reasons.

One is that you have lowered your center of gravity; which allows one to feel the machine's center of gravity; which translates to "its limits". Leaning over like described will let you know when the Spyder has had enough.

Secondly, leaning over to the inside of the machine in a corner also points one's eyes in the direction of the curve... which as you already know, is exactly where one needs to be looking. This helps to keep the machine to the inside of the corner -- helping to avoid crossing the line into oncoming traffic.

Thirdly, leaning, as mentioned, should be less stressful on the lower back than sitting straight-up and applying pressure with your knee and opposite foot (which would seem to require more knee and foot pressure than when leaning) -- which should translate into less fatigue over time (or a day's ride).

Again... to some degree riding styles can vary. But... I will let you know when I try your method. I like doing twisties fast also... so we'll see!