Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question on New Oil Filter Access Body Panel

Just got the new maintenance schedule booklet along with a voucher for the new lower panel. Here's what it says:

"It's free until May 31st, 2013 upon presentation of the included voucher when installed by your authorized Can Am dealer at your next maintenance appointment"

Does this mean if you do your own maintenance that you can't get one? Any idea what it costs for the panel as that would probably be a lot cheaper?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Call your dealer and ask them. They should know.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Just got the new maintenance schedule booklet along with a voucher for the new lower panel. Here's what it says:

"It's free until May 31st, 2013 upon presentation of the included voucher when installed by your authorized Can Am dealer at your next maintenance appointment"

Does this mean if you do your own maintenance that you can't get one? Any idea what it costs for the panel as that would probably be a lot cheaper?

Doubt the dealers will even know about this yet...... give it some time......

I too just want the panel... don't need them touching my RT!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I assume this new panel is designed for easy access to the transmission filter?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's what it sounds like...
    It appears that they want the dealers putting them in place; you will have to call to see what they're going to do about folks who believe in "DIY".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SE - SM or both?

If the panel is for easier access to the transmission filter, would it apply to the SM models?

Boyd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd2010RT View Post
    If the panel is for easier access to the transmission filter, would it apply to the SM models?

Boyd

Yes the panel is for both SE and SM
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Filter Panel

I had my 2012 RT-SE5 in yesterday for a factory computer upgrade. I advised the service writer about the new maintenance schedule that arrived in the mail. He stated that we would have to upgrade to the new trans. filter and then we could go up to 4600 miles. I showed him the letter and it does not state that. We did some checking and found out that BRP will furnish the new filter cover for the SE5 and the customer has to purchase the new filter. The mechanic had heard about the new side panel that BRP will give you but they have no idea when they can get them or what they look like.
    I am about ready for my 3000 service but have decided to wait until 4000 miles. The service writer stated this would ok seeing as how the new schedule says 4600. I will just keep an eye on the oil.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R.T. Smith View Post
    I had my 2012 RT-SE5 in yesterday for a factory computer upgrade. I advised the service writer about the new maintenance schedule that arrived in the mail. He stated that we would have to upgrade to the new trans. filter and then we could go up to 4600 miles. I showed him the letter and it does not state that. We did some checking and found out that BRP will furnish the new filter cover for the SE5 and the customer has to purchase the new filter. The mechanic had heard about the new side panel that BRP will give you but they have no idea when they can get them or what they look like.
    I am about ready for my 3000 service but have decided to wait until 4000 miles. The service writer stated this would ok seeing as how the new schedule says 4600. I will just keep an eye on the oil.
    BRP is clear that the extended mileage is only with the new filter. The new filter has a higher capacity, I assume for the filtered contaminates, than the old filter. I have the new filter on my manual shift RT & have no transmission filter requirement.

As far as the new panel, I'm guessing that BRP is using the customer's labor purchase when having the oil changed to pay for, or help pay for the labor of the new panel installation.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    BRP is clear that the extended mileage is only with the new filter. The new filter has a higher capacity, I assume for the filtered contaminates, than the old filter. I have the new filter on my manual shift RT & have no transmission filter requirement.

As far as the new panel, I'm guessing that BRP is using the customer's labor purchase when having the oil changed to pay for, or help pay for the labor of the new panel installation.
    There's no labor involved for them at all if they just send them to the owners who wish to install themselves. BRP thinking might be that they figure a goodly percentage of self servicing owners will not take them to dealers and lessen the amount of new panels they have to provide. Illogical as some of the self servicing owners will bring them in anyway. While they're there, owners will bring up minor issues they probably wouldn't have bothered with and dealers will invariably find other items needing work, mostly on BRPs dime. As far as the new filter is concerned, it was my understanding, solely from reading other posts, that the new filters were metal impregnated to avoid falling apart as there were some issues with the original stock filters.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default new panel

Was at my dealer this morning findind out why I have no Reverse. While there asked them about new panel and they just received info also. They have to order new panels , so hard to tell when they will be available at my dealer.

Spyder Garage

While it would be nice to get one of the panels for free... the standard panel only lists for $40 in the parts fiche...... which I'd gladly pay.

I don't find the new one listed.

I bet good dealers will just make them available for free.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Panel

I had my TB replaced in June and a part got broken and is on order and should be in tomorrow. I have to make an appointment for them to install the broken part and I asked about the New panel and I was told that they have them in stock and will put the New Panel on when they replace my broken part. So I will let you all know if it happens .

Gene

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got my packet in the mail today and went to the dealer to see if they knew about the new maint schedule and panel. They did and had the new filters and panels in stock. Since I have to have a couple of updates completed for my RT; I asked if they would put the new panel on then. I was told it needed to wait until the next "service" to be done. I guess the two campaign updates aren't considered service enough to warrrant the installation of the new panel. Your dealer may handle this differently. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    I got my packet in the mail today and went to the dealer to see if they knew about the new maint schedule and panel. They did and had the new filters and panels in stock. Since I have to have a couple of updates completed for my RT; I asked if they would put the new panel on then. I was told it needed to wait until the next "service" to be done. I guess the two campaign updates aren't considered service enough to warrrant the installation of the new panel. Your dealer may handle this differently. Dale
    There's really no reason to do till the next service, that way the labor would be the same.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone from California received their info packet from BRP re: the new access panel?

Spyder Garage

Took the voucher to my dealer today and they had only got their notice yesterday. They took the voucher, said they'd contact BRP to order the side panel and then call me to come down for them to put it on.

Spyder Garage

I had my 6000 mile service done today and they installed the small 'laced' panel. Big deal. That's not what's in the way when I change my filters. What it attaches to is still in the way. I have to use an Allen wrench to get the cover screws after I pull the other part out of the way.

Any one know what a code for an "oxygen upstream sensor" would mean? The dealer got this code. They are not sure what it meant. They also got a limp mode & engine check light that came on. I've never seen that myself. They couldn't duplicate it.

Later when I was driving around, I noticed that my headlights weren't on. Checked the fuse...OK. Removed key, walked away, came back, started Spyder and headlights were working again. Go figure. Called the dealer and let them know this happened.
    They also said the my brake fluid was getting a bit dark and I will have to change my rear brakes in a few thousand miles.

Spyder Garage

Cavman, can you post a pic of the "laced" panel? If its not something that makes it easier to remove the transmission filter, then I'm not sure I want it.

Spyder Garage

I had the new panel installed today along with an oil change - panel is totally free. Standing next to the Spyder, I cannot tell the difference.

Spyder Garage

Walt....if you can't tell any difference, do you have any idea what the purpose of the change was for? I'm confused.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I want to see a pic of this new panel mounted on the bike. i can't figure out how it works. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question What is gained by panel change out?

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    I want to see a pic of this new panel mounted on the bike. i can't figure out how it works. Thanks
    Anyone have the instructions they send with the new panels to the dealers? I wonder also what exactly this new panel is doing? is it faster to remove?

Sounds like it is to be installed as part of an oil change and not a free self install option or just installed without oil change as this is same panel removed during an oil change.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Anyone have the instructions they send with the new panels to the dealers? I wonder also what exactly this new panel is doing? is it faster to remove?

Sounds like it is to be installed as part of an oil change and not a free self install option or just installed without oil change as this is same panel removed during an oil change.
    The instructions for the panel installation, included with the kit, is 12 pages long and when scanned is equivalent to 17MB of data (too large to upload here). Half of those pages describe the procedure for removing the original panels. It appears from the instructions that the removal of the new panel will not require you to remove the middle panel, thus saving time during a transmission filter change. The Service Manager at my dealership expects about a 5 minute time saving, maybe ten minutes for a DIY job.

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of these instructions please send me a PM.