Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default And now we wait.....

Just ordered Elka Stage 5's for our LTD. Len at cowtown said they shipped out today. Come on UPS I'm dyin here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good things come to those who wait!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

look forward to the reviews
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st Impressions.

Wow I can't believe that UPS came tonight. I didn't expect them before Friday. So with no patience I jacked the bike and swapped out the OE shocks for my shiny new Elka Stage 5's. A nice easy job took no more than 20 minutes. I hopped on and tore down the street. I could feel the difference in the tension of the springs just standing on the pegs. I had them set for aggressive riding with the majority of the time two up. With only myself on the bike I really pushed it into corners and I easily managed the turns without overcorrecting half way through and I was taking them at least 10 to 15 mph faster than I normally would. I felt the bike stayed flatter without any flopping in the turns. Again my biggest problems were when we rode two up so the true test is still pending. All I could think of while road testing tonight was that this thing is going to get me in trouble. It feels that good. Can't wait to take the misses out tomorrow night. I will post again after that but whoo hoo what a ride. Many thanks to Cowtown for their quick shipping and great work setting up the shocks to make them a plug and play item.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just don't scre your Missus too bad or she'll put up a good fuss, and there'll go all of the fun!
    Glad that you like them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just don't scre your Missus too bad or she'll put up a good fuss, and there'll go all of the fun!
    Glad that you like them!
    You got that right. That's why she said your going by yourself for the first ride. God I love her.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Love my Elka's!!!! She will love the ryde!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Autotechmark View Post
    You got that right. That's why she said your going by yourself for the first ride. God I love her.
    Smart girl... She's a keeper!

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

stage 5 shocks for the rt ltd isnt that a little over kill for this type of bike from what i heard the stage 1 was all that was needed. aint the 5's like 2k plus and the 1's like 500? i might be wrong on this but if the stage 1's can do about the same as 5's why not just the stage 1's? just curious about this shock upgrade and the big diff between 1 to 5 and not something in th middle feedback on this anyone. thanks

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's all about the adjustability...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    stage 5 shocks for the rt ltd isnt that a little over kill for this type of bike from what i heard the stage 1 was all that was needed. aint the 5's like 2k plus and the 1's like 500? i might be wrong on this but if the stage 1's can do about the same as 5's why not just the stage 1's? just curious about this shock upgrade and the big diff between 1 to 5 and not something in th middle feedback on this anyone. thanks
    I was considering the Stage 5 for the added adjustability and the reservoir. I called Elka to get their opinion on their shocks for the RT. The salesman told me he could sell me the Stage 5, but on an RT, I wouldn't get any additional benefit over the Stage 1+. He said that for the average rider, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and that most people buy the Stage 5 for bragging rights. I don't know how much of that is true, but after talking with him, I decided to save my money and buy the Stage 1+ instead of the Stage 5.

I really like the look of the Stage 5, but I'm not racing my RT.

As far as cost, the Stage 1+ is $749 for the pair, not $500. You are right about the cost of the Stage 5, they are $1,795. Here is a link to the Elka site that has the Spyder shocks: http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=spyder
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 06-07-2012 at 08:19 AM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i think i'll wait til spyderfest and get them cheaper i believe people were saying they were 500-600 at the show installed.but i could be wrong about this.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i think i'll wait til spyderfest and get them cheaper i believe people were saying they were 500-600 at the show installed.but i could be wrong about this.
    I don't know what they were going for at Spyderfest, but the shocks have changed since then. The Stage 1+ now has an aluminum body for lighter weight and better cooling. The price has gone up about $50 over the version sold at Spyderfest. I think the retail on the older version was $695 with the steel body.

There was a post that I can't find atm, where Elka said that the new Stage 1+ cost them 13% more to make than the one they were selling at Spyderfest, but they didn't increase the price that much. There is a new Stage 1 that is less money, but it wasn't out when Spyderfest was going on. In fact, I don't think it is available yet. It only has preload adjustment. It doesn't have the preload and rebound adjustments like the Stage 1+.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You're probably right the 5's may be overkill but for me everytime I try to settle I end up regretting my decision. The stage 1 was 749. and when Len at Cowtown told me 1395. for the stage 5's I said what the heck. Stage 2 and 4 are in the middle but they have the detached reservoir that would need to be mounted to the bike. Not pretty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Autotechmark View Post
    You're probably right the 5's may be overkill but for me everytime I try to settle I end up regretting my decision. The stage 1 was 749. and when Len at Cowtown told me 1395. for the stage 5's I said what the heck. Stage 2 and 4 are in the middle but they have the detached reservoir that would need to be mounted to the bike. Not pretty.
    Stage 5's for $ 1395.00 sounds like a pretty good deal? You know what, its your money and if you want Stage 5's go for it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Damn. Didn't realize they were so expensive. Guess I'll be sticking with stock.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Besides that, 5 is better then 1 cuz there are more numbers involved

Spyder Garage

Let me try to clarify a few things here:

The Stage 5 shocks for the Spyder retail for $1595, and not $1795 as you saw on the website. The $1795 pricing is for the racing ATV applications only.

Now, the vast majority of folks riding the RT Spyders are recreational riders who do not push the vehicles to their limit. for this type of rider, the Stage 1+ is perfect. It allows better handling and control of the vehicle and it is a simple no frills shock that will cater to most people's needs. They normally retail for $795.

Yes, we will in the near future be offering a Stage 1 shock that will retail for $595 for the pair. It will offer preload adjustment only and no rebound. They are not yet available as they have not been tested long enough yet to our liking. Once they have some good real riding hours on them and get the green light, we will begin to offer them to you folks FIRST !!

As for the Stage 5 shock, besides price there are a couple of major differences.

1. They out perform the stage 1+ simply because the reservoirs allow for better bump absorption and heat dissipation.

2. You can adjust both high and low speed compression with the turn of a couple of knobs on the shocks to get them to your liking.

3. The reservoirs are attached to the shock body unlike our previous Stage 4 offerings which were attached to the shock via a hydraulic hose. The reseervoir had to be mounted to the A-arms in the front which just didnt cut it aesthetically in my opinion.

4. The difference between the Stage 1 shocks and the Stage 5 is equivalent to the difference between the stock and the stage 1 elka's. Yes, its that big of a difference, but dont take my word for it, instead ask Lamont. He has had both and he can tell you the differences.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

John @ Elka

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Let me try to clarify a few things here:

The Stage 5 shocks for the Spyder retail for $1595, and not $1795 as you saw on the website. The $1795 pricing is for the racing ATV applications only.

Now, the vast majority of folks riding the RT Spyders are recreational riders who do not push the vehicles to their limit. for this type of rider, the Stage 1+ is perfect. It allows better handling and control of the vehicle and it is a simple no frills shock that will cater to most people's needs. They normally retail for $795.

Yes, we will in the near future be offering a Stage 1 shock that will retail for $595 for the pair. It will offer preload adjustment only and no rebound. They are not yet available as they have not been tested long enough yet to our liking. Once they have some good real riding hours on them and get the green light, we will begin to offer them to you folks FIRST !!

As for the Stage 5 shock, besides price there are a couple of major differences.

1. They out perform the stage 1+ simply because the reservoirs allow for better bump absorption and heat dissipation.

2. You can adjust both high and low speed compression with the turn of a couple of knobs on the shocks to get them to your liking.

3. The reservoirs are attached to the shock body unlike our previous Stage 4 offerings which were attached to the shock via a hydraulic hose. The reseervoir had to be mounted to the A-arms in the front which just didnt cut it aesthetically in my opinion.

4. The difference between the Stage 1 shocks and the Stage 5 is equivalent to the difference between the stock and the stage 1 elka's. Yes, its that big of a difference, but dont take my word for it, instead ask Lamont. He has had both and he can tell you the differences.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

John @ Elka
    Thanks John. I talked with you the morning I bought these and I can't thank you enough for not selling me but educating me. I felt for my type of riding the 5's made more sense even though you said the 1's would probably suffice. You steered me to Len at Cowtown who provided even more education as well as a substatial discount and he set them up according to our weight and riding style. We had a chance to ride two up this weekend and I must say the difference is incredible. I can easily handle the bike in any turn which i really couldnt say before. Again thanks for all your help and guidance.
    Another satisfied customer.
    Mark Lapointe

Spyder Garage

Could not find a clear answer on the Elka rebound adjust.

When you say 25 clicks from fully closed or open which way is closed or open
    on the adjustment knob, clockwise or counterclockwise?

And were should the adjustment start at, open or closed?

Thanks