Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Overheating issues on 08 SE5

I'm so freaking sick and tired of my spyder overheating so freaking easily you'd think a dam liquid cooled bike wouldn't have this many probs with it. I thought evoluzion made a thing you could hook up to your spyder that with the push of a button you could get instant relief but I can't for the life of me find it online anymore I can't even find evoluzion. Com anymore

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at what Spyderpos has to help with the heat situation...makes a big difference and should help with your problem...They're a sponsor here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some spyders with overheating issues have had a bigger fan replaced under warranty authorized by BRP. Have you had your dealer check it out?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Test the cooling system for both internal and external leaks, lost of pressure (attention to cracks in the coolant reservoir).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDog65 View Post
    I'm so freaking sick and tired of my spyder overheating so freaking easily you'd think a dam liquid cooled bike wouldn't have this many probs with it. I thought evoluzion made a thing you could hook up to your spyder that with the push of a button you could get instant relief but I can't for the life of me find it online anymore I can't even find evoluzion. Com anymore

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Can you give some more details about your problem. Are you saying you keep going into limp mode from overheating ? Do you have all the updates done? One of the newer updates changed the way the temp readout works- it added a bar or two on the readout- but it's not really running hotter.

Basically unless you're going into limp mode, you're not overheating.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

When you say it's over heating what are you talking about?

arntufun

WOW !!!!!!! Take a breath for a second.

Firefly said it best, if it's not going into limp mode it's not overheating.

First.........If it is indeed overheating and going into limp mode, first check the fan fuze up front in the trunk. It's a 15 amp fuze. Check coolant level while the fuze panel is removed.

Secondly........ if the fuze is good then start the Spyder and let it idle. The fan behind radiator (on right) should come on around 5 bars on the gauge. If it comes on but still overheats see dealer unless you have a BRP parts warehouse in your basement, because all other senerios will require parts.
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-23-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Define overheating

arntufun

When my Spyder overheated, all the bars were lit and the Spyder immediately went to limp mode, Thats overheating.

Long story short, the wrong fuze was in my fan slot after a 12 volt outlet installation and the fan never came on causing overheating.

Correct fuze then installed, never happened again.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    WOW !!!!!!! Take a breath for a second.

Firefly said it best, if it's not going into limp mode it's not overheating.

First.........If it is indeed overheating and going into limp mode, first check the fan fuze up front in the trunk. It's a 15 amp fuze. Check coolant level while the fuze panel is removed.

Secondly........ if the fuze is good then start the Spyder and let it idle. The fan behind radiator (on right) should come on around 5 bars on the gauge. If it comes on but still overheats see dealer unless you have a BRP parts warehouse in your basement, because all other senerios will require parts.
    Also check the fan relay.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Also check the fan relay.

Thanks Scotty, I knew I forgot something.

If Fan does not come on while the Spyder is idling and the bars are over 5 on gauge, then the relay could be bad or the fan itself hit the crapper.

Unless it's the waterpump or coolant reseviour, then this pretty much covers it and you would need to see the dealer regardless.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Thanks Scotty, I knew I forgot something.

If Fan does not come on while the Spyder is idling and the bars are over 5 on gauge, then the relay could be bad or the fan itself hit the crapper.

Unless it's the waterpump or coolant reseviour, then this pretty much covers it and you would need to see the dealer regardless.
    ...or the obvious, low coolant level.

Spyder Garage

Default Heating

Has anyone tried removing the Cat converted and replacing it with just a new piece of pipe? Would this screw up the computer trying to correct something changed? Is it even advisable to go this route? Thanks!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crusty61 View Post
    Has anyone tried removing the Cat converted and replacing it with just a new piece of pipe? Would this screw up the computer trying to correct something changed? Is it even advisable to go this route? Thanks!!
    Which year and model Spyder???

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT S. Thanks for replying!

Spyder Garage

SpyderDog65, I ride in the Sacramento heat also. Go to Spyderpops and check out the air dam system. Since I installed mine I am running 3 to 4 bars instead of 4 to 5.
    hawkiii

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel