Thread: trailer lights

Spyder Garage

Question trailer lights

I just installed a new brp trailer hitch and wiring harness on a 2011 RTS and we have two trailers both having been wired for my goldwing with amber turn lights and i can not figure out what pins to use for brake lights it seems that the controller does not offer a brake only pin any ideas i do not want to rewire my trailers as i still have to pull them with my goldwing the rts is my wifes and we would like to be able to pull either trailer with either bike

Thanks Al

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. The revised trailer modules do not seem to have a brake only circuit (they used to actually have right and left brakelight connections). I have not found any way to convert, but if you can change the trailer amber turn light lenses to red, you can wire in an additional 4-wire connector (or Spyder 9-pin using 4-wires) and use the trailer for both. I think it is a shame that BRP moved away from the original 5-wire (they actually used 6) design to the 4-wire. I'm sure they had their reasons, though.

Spyder Garage

Smile problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. The revised trailer modules do not seem to have a brake only circuit (they used to actually have right and left brakelight connections). I have not found any way to convert, but if you can change the trailer amber turn light lenses to red, you can wire in an additional 4-wire connector (or Spyder 9-pin using 4-wires) and use the trailer for both. I think it is a shame that BRP moved away from the original 5-wire (they actually used 6) design to the 4-wire. I'm sure they had their reasons, though.
    I installed a brake only relay i tied it in above controller and disconnected the brake light circuit on the controller the only obstacle was i had to run an extra wire outside the plug and wire it in after the controller it will be just one more wire to unplug when we remove the hitch. Still better than rewiring two trailers and my Goldwing. I ran a seperate circuit as not to overload the wiring on the RT and put it on a seperate fuse accesible inside the left saddlebag I ran the power right to the battery It took a little thought but I would not give up If this helps anyone else go for it it was not that difficult just took about $15.00 worth of parts and a little time I cannot understand why the engineers could not have added that circuit rather than leaving empty plugs in converter Thats how I spent my sunday afternoon but my wife is happy she can pull our trailer that we bought before our Qwik Camp and I think its great now we can share the load when we travel to Spyderfest in a couple weeks.

Thanks Al

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Good job! I think what you did is the only reliable solution. It is a gigantic pain, though, and beyond the capabilities of many owners. I prefered the setup on my 2010 Spyder to this later one.

Spyder Garage

Default wiring controller

Sorry for my dumb question, but what are you guys talking about a controller?? I just wired my
    2011 RT to another brand of trailer, with just some wire, a plug to fit bike, a 12 volt tester.
    set my software to see trailer, and all is well......so far LOL

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    Sorry for my dumb question, but what are you guys talking about a controller?? I just wired my
    2011 RT to another brand of trailer, with just some wire, a plug to fit bike, a 12 volt tester.
    set my software to see trailer, and all is well......so far LOL
    That is done with the RS, so it is certainly possible for the RT. The biggest problem is that there is no pretty way to mount a good, weatherproof outlet. This method also does not give you isolated trailer lighting, on its own circuit, like the BRP trailer module does.

What we are talking about is the trailer module that comes with the BRP trailer hitch. It has an integral converter/outlet.

Spyder Garage

4,5,6 pin. How do I know what I have ? I had a hitch installed last fall on my RT and I would like to wire it. But now I read about all the different pin setups ?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    4,5,6 pin. How do I know what I have ? I had a hitch installed last fall on my RT and I would like to wire it. But now I read about all the different pin setups ?
    Yours is probably set up as 4-wire (running lights, right turn/brake, left turn/brake, ground). Best way is to test at the Spyder with a voltmeter.

Spyder Garage

Default trailing wiring

Sorry guess I didn't understand the converter and or module was inside the bike somewhere.
    all I know is the plug the trailer goes into is under the left side. here is pic of my wiring
    for my 2011 RT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wiring

​ This is the number of the connector I used AHD16-9-96S

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default trailer plug

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    ​ This is the number of the connector I used AHD16-9-96S

where did you get the plug to match the brp plug?
    Gary