Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited vibration at 6000 RPM

I have a vibration that occurs around 5300 to 6000 RPMs ONLY during acceleration. This happens in 4th and 5th gear so road speed is not
    the issue. I can back off the throttle slightly and it will go away but as soon as I roll the throttle again its back. Is it possible that the engine
    is making contact with the frame under torque conditions????

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yride View Post
    I have a vibration that occurs around 5300 to 6000 RPMs ONLY during acceleration. This happens in 4th and 5th gear so road speed is not
    the issue. I can back off the throttle slightly and it will go away but as soon as I roll the throttle again its back. Is it possible that the engine
    Most likely its coming from the drive belt.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My guess would be the drive belt also. My 2011 RT does the same thing.

Spyder Garage

I would agree but I resolved my problem with "Capt Jims" belt tension er which worked very well.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Belt harmonics. If the rpm range changes slightly when the belt tension is changed, you'll know for sure. See whaqt happens after the 600 mile belt adjustment.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have already done the 600 mi. service and belt tension adj. this had no affect on the vibration range. I did see another
    post this morning that suggest that motor cradle to frame clearance has been an issue and shims have been added under
    the motor mounts with good results. I am very disappointed to pay this much for a machine that requires and extensive
    disassembly and shims installed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems I saw mention that 2012 RTs already have the shim problem fixed before they are delivered ?

Is the Capt Jim's belt tensioner the same as the SmoothSpyder sponsor ?

Anyone else have experience with it ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    It seems I saw mention that 2012 RTs already have the shim problem fixed before they are delivered ?

Is the Capt Jim's belt tensioner the same as the SmoothSpyder sponsor ?

Anyone else have experience with it ?

Yes, its jims belt tensioner. I had no vibration at all at first with the tensioner. i now have it only at the 5300 mark. I'm sure the belt still stretches since i only have 4k on the bike. Before the tensioner i felt like i had the vibration in many different spots. I also had the frame issue check out and told there is clearance.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redlightron View Post
    I would agree but I resolved my problem with "Capt Jims" belt tension er which worked very well.
    +1 The belt on the Spider is extremely long and originally the belts spec was very high. BRP found that the belt spec was to high with owners developing drive pulley failures, so they reduced the belt tension spec considerably. So now owners are getting a bit of vibration. I also got the vibration at the 55000 PM level. Installed Capt. Jims belt tensioner and all is well .
    Happy Owner

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I have already done the 600 mi. service and belt tension adj. this had no affect on the vibration range. I did see another
    post this morning that suggest that motor cradle to frame clearance has been an issue and shims have been added under
    the motor mounts with good results. I am very disappointed to pay this much for a machine that requires and extensive
    disassembly and shims installed.
    A 2012 should already have the 8 mm shims. They are factory installed now. Your vibration point is a little higher than is typical for engine harmonics...and even for a belt. I'm still betting on the belt, but it could be something else. Changing the tension (tighter) would tell you. The best advice I can give right now is to see your dealer and report the problem. Usually the Spyder's worst vibration point is from 3,500-4,800 rpm or so.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scotty Where did you get the 8mm number?? I have been hearing numbers like 2mm or 4.5mm

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Scotty Where did you get the 8mm number?? I have been hearing numbers like 2mm or 4.5mm
    It came from the posts in this forum. I'm pretty sure that's what Jeff said. Remember that this is the entire shim pack thickness....not the clearance! The original shims were thinner. Can't get 4 mm clearance with a smaller shim, BTW. The repair shims are also thinner, from what I understand, as they are added to the existing one, not inserted as a replacement.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shims

The confusion is metric/English. The shims are 2mm thick or 0.08" thick. The part number specified in the "tech tip" from BRP is the same part number as now installed during regular production (late 2011's and all 2012's). Earlier production models had no shims -- there are no shims shown in parts diagrams for 2010 or 2011 production. The minimum clearance specified by BRP is 1mm or 0.04".

I recall that Spyder Jeff said his shop started making their own shims when they discovered some Spyders had this problem. Their initial shims may have been thicker. But now that BRP has analyzed the problem and determined corrective action, the BRP shims are 2mm.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    The confusion is metric/English. The shims are 2mm thick or 0.08" thick. The part number specified in the "tech tip" from BRP is the same part number as now installed during regular production (late 2011's and all 2012's). Earlier production models had no shims -- there are no shims shown in parts diagrams for 2010 or 2011 production. The minimum clearance specified by BRP is 1mm or 0.04".

I recall that Spyder Jeff said his shop started making their own shims when they discovered some Spyders had this problem. Their initial shims may have been thicker. But now that BRP has analyzed the problem and determined corrective action, the BRP shims are 2mm.
    Sorry, my error. Thanks for clearing that up.

Spyder Garage

My 2011 RT is now doing the VIBE at 5500 and up. Just started since the new tire was installed last week by shop.
    Didn't make the connection till I read this thread. Am I to assume theres nothing to worry about....other than mirrors being blurry at that rpm?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 starts at about 5000rpms, and the dealers said it was from the belt, something to do with the extremely long belt length. Looking for an alternative way to dampen the belt. The ones offered by the site guys are a bit high in price,
    thought about building my own.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Same thing happening with new 2012 RT just over 500 miles on it in the higher 5000 + RPM range Let off the throttle and vibration seems to go away. Will mention this to the dealer at 600 mile check.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddileo View Post
    Same thing happening with new 2012 RT just over 500 miles on it in the higher 5000 + RPM range Let off the throttle and vibration seems to go away. Will mention this to the dealer at 600 mile check.
    Yes the belt was loose. Still a bit of vibration at different stages, but what a big difference.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sumners2

We have a 2012 RT and just had it in for the 600 mile service. We have been experiencing vibration between 5000 and 6000 RPMs. Mostly near 6000 RPM. Can't go above 73 miles per hour without feeling a lot of vibration. It seems to hit in different RPMs above 5000 , 6000 being the worse while excelerating. We told them at the service appointment but we are still experiencing this problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Where to buy belt tensioner?

I hear about Capt Jims belt tensioner but no where to get it. Can someone post a link?
    Thanks
    Joe

Spyder Garage

http://www.smoothspyder.com/ jims a great guy to work with.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride Master

I have the same problem. After sharing some of the comments from this site, my dealer has agreed to install the SMOOTHSPYDER MADE IN USA Can Am Spyder RT Rotary Drive Belt Tensioner if I order one myself and bring it to the dealership,
    and I am waiting for it to be delivered.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride Master

I have the same problem. After sharing some of the posts from this site, my dealer has agreed to install the SMOOTHSPYDER MADE IN USA Can Am Spyder RT Rotary Drive Belt Tensioner if I buy one and bring it to the dealer.