Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EBC Rotors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I can push Doc around the shop and he can try them out.
    I appreciate the effort, but somehow it just wouldn't be the same...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I appreciate the effort, but somehow it just wouldn't be the same...
    You are right. He never rides as fast as I could push him.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Are the front and rear EBC rotors the same ?

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Got the package :

Looking at these photos the three rotors seem to be very similar to me.The pads are different but what about the rotors ?
    I will need to check my rotors because one of them appears to be warped. Any tricks to quickly find out which one is faulty ? (I suspect the rear one since I dont feel it on my grips)

I must do this as soon as I get the beast out of its den (storage)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default EBC BRAKE PADS

Anyone find out about how the pads held up?
    Thanks
    Spyder web

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by spyder web hgw View Post
    Anyone find out about how the pads held up?
    Thanks
    Spyder web

I know, these testers are not doing a very well of testing these !!!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 02-28-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Moose_88 View Post
    Looking at these photos the three rotors seem to be very similar to me.The pads are different but what about the rotors ?
    The rotors are similar but they are not the same. You can't swap or interchange them.

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I know, these testers are not doing a very well of testing these !!!!
    True, but testers can get cranky and we don't want to upset them! Hopefully Doc, our component death testing service, will have something to say soon.

Spyder Garage

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, I would definitely like to try a set of front pads to start and see how they do. Please let me know when some are available. And by the way, I never got to compliment you on those incredible spark plug wires and plugs. Phantom 14 loves them! Just got through with a major maintenance cycle and while going through everything I noticed that I could use a set of front pads. I have never been overly impressed with the braking on the Spyder, but it is adequate. Hopefully the replacement pads will help. Thanks Buddy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Ron, I would definitely like to try a set of front pads to start and see how they do. Please let me know when some are available. And by the way, I never got to compliment you on those incredible spark plug wires and plugs. Phantom 14 loves them! Just got through with a major maintenance cycle and while going through everything I noticed that I could use a set of front pads. I have never been overly impressed with the braking on the Spyder, but it is adequate. Hopefully the replacement pads will help. Thanks Buddy!
    I've got pads and rotors sitting on the shelf. Just haven't had time to say much about them. I'm putting a set on my Spyder (as soon as I get time).

You don't need to replace the rotors with the pads though the rotors are supposed to give you 18% more stopping power than the stock version. I can't verify that because no one has tried this yet (except for Doc and he hasn't got his Spyder running yet).

Front Pads - $46.50 (You need 2 sets)
    Rear Pads - $35.95

Front Rotors - $143.95 (You need 2)
    Rear Rotor - $143.95

Includes shipping at this time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got pads and rotors sitting on the shelf. Just haven't had time to say much about them. I'm putting a set on my Spyder (as soon as I get time).

You don't need to replace the rotors with the pads though the rotors are supposed to give you 18% more stopping power than the stock version. I can't verify that because no one has tried this yet (except for Doc and he hasn't got his Spyder running yet).

Rear Pads - $35.95

Rear Rotor - $143.95

PM Sent. Thanks Ron!

Spyder Garage

Here's a stupid question. Has anyone ever considered turning their rotors???
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Are you talking about resurfacing them? You wouldn't want to take much off of them as thickness is pretty important and typically, MC rotors don't come with a lot of extra meat like car rotors do. I'm sure it could be done and maybe someone has done it.

It won't change the characterists of the rotor, just take out warpage, hard spots or grooves. You have to be very careful, though, with drilled and slotted rotors like ours. The lathe cutters don't like voids.

The EBC rotors are made with a more aggressive metal compound. It stops better and it also resists warpage better than OEM parts.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I've been thinking the same, Might be a cost [time] issue, By the time you do it, it won't cost that much more to just get new ones and be done with it. I know its easier for me with my truck to use new ones than to leave the truck on the stands, And run to a machine shop and hope they [will] turn them right away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rear Pads - $35.95

Rear Rotor - $143.95

I have been watching this thread there is only one thing I want to know wi these ebc's stop the horrible back up squeek

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I've been thinking the same, Might be a cost [time] issue, By the time you do it, it won't cost that much more to just get new ones and be done with it. I know its easier for me with my truck to use new ones than to leave the truck on the stands, And run to a machine shop and hope they [will] turn them right away.
    If someone has had it done I'd like to know.

I used work at a brake shop and I've turned a few rotors. None were drilled or slotted though. My brother owns a machine and repair shop and he also races. I'm going to call him and see what he says about turning drilled or slotted rotors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I have been watching this thread there is only one thing I want to know wi these ebc's stop the horrible back up squeek
    More than likely it's the superior materials used in the EBC pads. At least that is the impression I get. The stock pads are pretty crappy and I cannot wait to get rid of them. Having said that, I found that if I constanly cleaned the stock brake components they stayed fairly quiet. It was a PITA, but better by far than that embarrassing squeal!

Spyder Garage

Just talked to my brother about surfacing rotors that are drilled and or slotted. As I suspicioned (is that a word? I've been in Tennessee too long!) anyway, you can't turn these kinds of rotors on a standard rotor lathe. He says most people buy new rotors because (again, as I thougth) there isn't much extra metal and you can't afford to grind much away to start with.

If you do want to surface them they do it on a table top machine with a stone like surfacing a flywheel. That makes sense. He says there are broad blade lathes that will tolerate drilled rotors but not slotted.

There is one other possibility. And that is a machine that surfaces the rotor on the vehicle. My brother isn't sure it would work on the Spyder but it might. It has a rotating garnet wheel that does the job very nicely, according to my brother.

So, there you have it. Anyone come up with something else let me know.

Spyder Garage

More than likely it's the superior materials used in the EBC pads. At least that is the impression I get. The stock pads are pretty crappy and I cannot wait to get rid of them. Having said that, I found that if I constanly cleaned the stock brake components they stayed fairly quiet. It was a PITA, but better by far than that embarrassing squeal!
    I'm not sure how much you can tell from the looks of a brake pad, but I must say, these new EBC pads look pretty good. I hope they work as good as they look. I'll be interested to hear back from those who are using them.

I will be putting them on my Spyder. They'd be on now except that I don't have time to ride it so what's the point?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since we are on the subject of brakes, I called my dealer to inquire about what it would cost to do a brake job. This was just before I found out that Ron was getting these wonderful new parts. The BRP parts would have been over $175.00 and labor - just to do the basic brake job - about $150.00. Then he said "that is if we don't have to bleed the brakes. If we have to bleed them, there is a 6 hour (approximate) procedure mandated by BRP to bleed the brakes". I could tell he was almost embarrassed to tell me this. He said They have found ways to cut the time down a little, but you have to use BUDS, it's pretty difficult and if you screw up you have to start all over again. I was thinking I didn't hear him correctly or something so I did ask for him to repeat it. So he did.

I just about fell out of my chair. Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this before? Boss, you have been through training school; is this true? I just cannot wrap my head around why it would take so long to bleed brakes!
    Last edited by Raptor; 03-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I just about fell out of my chair. Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this before? Boss, you have been through training school; is this true? I just cannot wrap my head around why it would take so long to bleed brakes!
    There's one or two people on Spyderloves who have bled their brakes with out using BUD's, and said it wasn't a big deal. I can't remember off hand who they are , But i imagine they'll chime in .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone installed the EBC rotors? I've done a search of the forum and there have been a number of people talking about the EBC pads & rotors. People have installed the organic pads but I can't find anyone saying they installed the rotors.
    I have fitted new EBC rotors to the frount with the brp brake pads and find there is no noise any more , I have had the rotors fitted for about 3000 km's now and have got no complaint at all, EBC rotors work for me
    FENDERS 001.jpg
    Last edited by darren; 03-01-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: none

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    I have fitted new EBC rotors to the frount with the brp brake pads and find there is no noise any more , I have had the rotors fitted for about 3000 km's now and have got no complaint at all, EBC rotors work for me
    FENDERS 001.jpg
    So far the limited feedback has been very good on both the rotors and the new Semi-Sintered pads. I was never really concerened about the rotors because EBC has been quite dialed in on them for some time.

The new Semi-Sintered pads look impressive and have, so far, been doing a very good job as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far the limited feedback has been very good on both the rotors and the new Semi-Sintered pads. I was never really concerened about the rotors because EBC has been quite dialed in on them for some time.

The new Semi-Sintered pads look impressive and have, so far, been doing a very good job as well.
    their organics were butt, need another tester? I would tell you how they hold up in the winter, salt and speeding around.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

The first 6,000 miles including Durango CO ryde impressions:

-very quiet (I was running before BRP gen.1,2 and 3 squeaking pads)
    -improved stopping distance
    -no change in the stopping distance when brakes are hot
    -advise: respect the first 4-500 miles indications for fitting the new disc pads with the new rotors: "Although the brake disc/rotor surface will be perfectly flat when using a new rotor, it is still extremely important to “condition” the brake discs and match them up to your pads by driving gently for 400-500 miles. Please be aware that brake performance during the bed in period may be significantly less than you have been accustomed to. What you are looking for is to see a 90%+ surface area contact between the pad and the disc or rotor before optimum braking will be achieved."

Overall impression on a 1-10 scale: 11!